PDA

View Full Version : Leaf's hire ex-figure skater

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Johnny_Fever
04-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I was just puzzled why they picked Underhill, of all people. Why not an ice dancer? Pairs is more about lifts and jumps than actual skating. But you've got a point. She probably got to know some hockey players through that show.

algonquin
04-26-2012, 01:40 PM
I was just puzzled why they picked Underhill, of all people. Why not an ice dancer? Pairs is more about lifts and jumps than actual skating. But you've got a point. She probably got to know some hockey players through that show.I am going to be snide here, but did you read the articles? They explain how she has developed a skating skills program for hockey players.

Johnny_Fever
04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
Okay. Give me 5 minutes. I'll develop a 'program' too. You've got delusions of other people's grandeur. Oh I'm sorry. Was that snide?

barbk
04-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Okay. Give me 5 minutes. I'll develop a 'program' too. You've got delusions of other people's grandeur. Oh I'm sorry. Was that snide?

Yes. And stupid. :rolleyes:

But glad to see that you're self-aware.

algonquin
04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
Okay. Give me 5 minutes. I'll develop a 'program' too. You've got delusions of other people's grandeur. Oh I'm sorry. Was that snide?:rolleyes: No, delusions of grandeur here. Unlike todays pairs skaters, Barb learned to skate in the era of compulsory school figure and therein lies the difference.

Johnny_Fever
04-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Take from someone who went further in compulsory school figures than Underhill. They don't do squat for your 'normal' skating.

pat c
04-26-2012, 06:29 PM
What's normal skating?

Jenny
04-26-2012, 06:42 PM
What's normal skating?

And what is Johnny Fever's beef with Barb Underhill, pairs skaters and hockey players?

I find it perplexing that a skating fan could be so cynical and dismissive about this.

robinhood
04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
And what is Johnny Fever's beef with Barb Underhill, pairs skaters and hockey players?

I find it perplexing that a skating fan could be so cynical and dismissive about this.

I think it keeps the thread more lively...maybe that's his purpose:P

walei
04-27-2012, 09:36 AM
One explanation:

http://mscapsfan.tripod.com/teamnames.html

Another explanation:

Nobody really knows...

Back in school my English teacher said Maple Leafs is a proper noun for a hockey team, maple leaves is a common noun so there is no grammatical error.

CanuckSk8r
04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
If compulsory figures did nothing for your "normal" skating, than you weren't paying attention to how figures taught you to use your blade. Maximum power, speed etc with least amount of effort.

Watching Barb skate, even once, most can see how powerful she is. She would make an incredible skating coach - for a hockey player, figure skater, or anyone.

kwanfan1818
04-27-2012, 05:29 PM
wrong thread

AragornElessar
05-18-2012, 03:46 AM
Was looking for another thread and found this one while going down the page. How did I miss this news when it was first announced?

Fantastic news and after seeing what Barb was able to do w/one of the OHL teams (I want to say she worked w/the Kitchener Rangers, but I'm not too sure about that either) over the years, then w/the Ducks in Anahiem, not to mention the various NHLers over the last few years and this is a great step for the Leafs to take. Having worked w/Randy Caryle during his years w/the Ducks had to helped Barb get her foot/skate ;) in the door w/the Leafs.

Good to know he's looking for the best of the best to make up his Coaching Staff.

I was wondering what Sam Gagne had done during the off season whenever I watched the Oilers this past season, as I just could not get over the incredable improvement in his speed and agility out there. Now it makes perfect sense.

Sigh...Now if the Leafs could only get rid of Brian Burke and I'd be an even happier Leafs fan, but that's a topic for the Hockey thread. :)