PDA

View Full Version : Leaf's hire ex-figure skater

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Johnny_Fever
04-21-2012, 09:20 PM
For those who think getting this type of instruction later in life can't help, she has been getting fabulous results as she tailors the programs to the individual skaters.I'd be willing to bet that their improvement is negligible. They won't learn anything they can't pick up from a hockey coach.

professordeb
04-21-2012, 10:19 PM
I'd be willing to bet that their improvement is negligible. They won't learn anything they can't pick up from a hockey coach.

Well apparently many disagree with you -- hence her being so booked.
Hockey coaches -- well I've seen some who wouldn't know an edge if jumped up and cut them.

Johnny_Fever
04-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Do you take lessons professordeb. Do they help? ;)

professordeb
04-22-2012, 02:38 PM

No, I don't take lesson and I'm not allowed to do any kind of sport any longer. However, I am quite involved with a couple of junior hockey teams and I KNOW they have been given lessons from figure skaters to help with their skating skills and to get more power from their strokes.

I get it, you don't believe what people are telling you as fact. Just because you believe certain facts to be untrue, doesn't make you right. :rolleyes:

Sonata
04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
This article (http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1165467--can-barbara-undehill-help-the-maple-leafs-glide-into-the-playoffs) from the Toronto Star has more details and includes a link to a youtube video showing Barb Underhill's work with Brian Boyle during the off season. It gives a better idea of the kind of work she does now. I find it really interesting to see how her career has transitioned.

Habs
04-22-2012, 04:33 PM
Sam Gagner from the Edmonton Oilers worked with Barb last summer. The difference in his skating skills this season was remarkable.

Ziggy
04-22-2012, 04:43 PM
GREENGROCER'S APOSTROPHE ALERT! :drama:

barbk
04-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Curious minds want to know: Why are they the "Toronto Maple Leafs" rather than the "Toronto Maple Leaves"?

Ziggy
04-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Curious minds want to know: Why are they the "Toronto Maple Leafs" rather than the "Toronto Maple Leaves"?

That too. :P

nlyoung
04-23-2012, 12:23 AM

Excellent question! :COP:

algonquin
04-23-2012, 01:18 AM

One explanation:

Toronto Maple Leafs - Two possible reasons: (1) Then owner Conn Smythe drew inspiration from an old Toronto team called the East Maple Leaves; (2) when Conn Smythe bought the Toronto St. Patricks, his first act was to rename the team after the Maple Leaf Regiment of the First World War, as well as for the maple leaf on the Canadian flag. Originally, the team was known as the Arenas, then renamed St. Patricks, supposedly to attract the Irish.

http://mscapsfan.tripod.com/teamnames.html

Another explanation:

Nobody really knows...

kwanfan1818
04-23-2012, 04:21 AM

Maybe professordeb doesn't, but Brian Boyle has:

She pushed me really hard, Boyle told The Canadian Press this week. We put a lot of hours in. Its helped me with my agility and my straight-ahead speed has been increased, and my efficiency . . . Its really helped my game and my confidence.

aftershocks
04-23-2012, 04:56 AM
Excellent question! :COP:

I'm not Canadian, but my guess:

"The maple leaf has served as a symbol celebrating the nature and environment of what is now Canada, since the eighteenth century." (Wikipedia). And, there is only one leaf on the flag. So then, although not grammatically accurate, Maple Leaf is symbolically accurate and was arbitrarily taken as the team's name instead of the plural form? :P

Thanks patc for posting about the work Barb Underhill has been involved with since her retirement from professional figure skating. :)

nlyoung
04-23-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm not Canadian, but my guess:

"The maple leaf has served as a symbol celebrating the nature and environment of what is now Canada, since the eighteenth century." (Wikipedia). And, there is only one leaf on the flag. So then, although not grammatically accurate, Maple Leaf is symbolically accurate and was arbitrarily taken as the team's name instead of the plural form? :P

Thanks patc for posting about the work Barb Underhill has been involved with since her retirement from professional figure skating. :)

I like this explanation! I'm going to go with this ;)

liv
04-25-2012, 11:12 PM
That's so cool! Good for her. I'm sure her contacts from Battle of the Blades really helped her get even more clients too. I thnk that show really demonstrated to hockey players what figure skaters can do on the ice besides jump and spin and that it can only benefit them. Good skaters are always well rewarded in hockey. Think of how many of the flashy Russian hockey stars are described as excellent/fast skaters.

I look forward to hearing about who she worked with.

She always seems so nice but i"m sure she has it in her to be a demanding teacher, and that's a good thing.