PDA

View Full Version : The man who quit money...

Buzz
04-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I was listening to this and was all cheering for him until they mentioned him eating road kill and rotting food. LOL But still he is doing something a lot of us fantasize about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17762033

BigB08822
04-20-2012, 02:13 AM
How does a man continue being a blogger without money? He had to buy a computer (doubtful because I don't think his cave has internet) or go use the library which IS using government money. Even if he had the computer before going without money, it would eventually die and how would he ever continue his blogging then? Even areas with free internet are supported by tax dollars, yes? That part seemed a little odd to me.

KCC
04-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Idaho also had/has a number of these guys. Dugout Dick died about 2 years ago. Buckskin Bill was another legend. I'm sure there are others.

DAngel
04-20-2012, 06:27 AM
I was listening to this and was all cheering for him until they mentioned him eating road kill and rotting food. LOL But still he is doing something a lot of us fantasize about.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17762033

People fantasize about eating road kill and rotting food? ;)

KCC
04-20-2012, 06:49 AM
If he gets sick from eating something nasty, I wonder if he would seek medical care, and if so, who would be expected to pay for it.

Japanfan
04-20-2012, 10:07 AM

Eating road kill makes sense from a scavenging/foraging point of view as well as a sustainability point of view. There is no waste or unnecessary killing.

And plenty of folks find perfectly okay food in dumpsters, which also makes sense in the same way. As the bottom feeders of society, dumpster divers are actually an important link in the food chain and do a service to society in terms of eliminating wastage.

Obviously, this guy does depend to a certain degree on the money of others, like those who give him hand-outs. It gets cold in Utah and he'll need blankets, supplies like kettles and matches, good hiking boots. He'll need transport if he goes to public libraries to blog, and that will be in cars others have paid for with money.

So obviously he couldn't do this without the generosity and support of others who do have money.

Nonetheless, I applaud his decision and think there is wisdom to be gleaned from it.