PDA

View Full Version : Canadian actor Jonathan Frid, original "Barnabas Collins" in "Dark Shadows", has died

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Yehudi
04-20-2012, 03:26 PM
:( Very sad to hear, he was so good at being Barnabus that none of the DS remakes even came close to being as good. Especially this new Tim Burton movie coming out :shuffle:.

I was a fan of the 1991 remake. Ben Cross, Adrian Paul, and Michael t. Weiss. :swoon:

VALuvsMKwan
04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
I was a fan of the 1991 remake. Ben Cross, Adrian Paul, and Michael t. Weiss. :swoon:

I have that box set as well. Am I obsessive much (please don't answer that)? :lol:

Gypsy
04-20-2012, 03:55 PM
I know, I have bought The Early Years (pre-Barnabas) and a lot of the Barnabas-into-Quentin-years sets, and the final box set with the Bramwell/Catherine story line. It would be far cheaper to just find the remaining originally issued box sets, but the "Coffin Collection" sounds so voidy. :lol:

It is very cool. It is a limited numbered edition (only 2,500 sets) and from what I have heard is sold out. They will aslo be doing a "deluxe set" of just the DVD's in the coffin that will be released in july. Those will not be numbered or contain the autographed picture of Jonathan.
Here is a link to the specifics. Dark Shadows - Limited Edition Collection (http://www.into-the-dark.com/dark-shadows-the-complete-original-series-sold-out-new-pressing-planned/)

There are 131 DVD's, containing all 1,225 episodes plus interviews and more.

It is very cool!!!

skatesindreams
04-20-2012, 04:09 PM
I just checked.
The 131 DVD complete, Limited Edition "coffin" set; is selling for over $800.00, online at Amazon, and elsewhere.
Upcoming re-release available for approximately $400.00.

A good commentary about the set:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54328/dark-shadows-complete-original-series/

Nan
04-20-2012, 05:17 PM
The genius of "Dark Shadows" is that it wasn't played for "camp".
With an actor less gifted than Jonathan Frid, the show wouldn't have worked at all.

Yes, Fried was why I watched. RIP :(

genevieve
04-20-2012, 06:29 PM
At least he won't have to see that ridiculous Dark Shadows remake that's comming out soon...:blah:

Did someone send Tim Burton that memo? (And would it be too soon to wonder if it was seeing the commercials for the movie that killed Frid?)
Seeing as he has a cameo appearance in the new film, I'm guessing he wasn't as morally opposed to it as some of you are.

skatesindreams
04-20-2012, 06:40 PM
I posted the following in the "movie" thread, which summarizes my feelings:

The reason why the soap opera worked is that it was played absolutely "straight"; by some fantastic actors.

Over time, they worked dramatizations of historic events (the Salem Witch Trials) - and many literary classics - (Dante's Inferno, the Aeneid, etc;. and the standard "horror" literature into their basic plotline.
I researched and read all these things because of the show.

Much as I like Johnny Depp, I'm not interested a a "camp" treatment.

DarrellH
04-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Usually, when a movie is remade, or if a TV show is turned into a movie, some network picks up the original and shows it about the same time as the release.

nubka
04-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Seeing as he has a cameo appearance in the new film, I'm guessing he wasn't as morally opposed to it as some of you are.

Maybe he just needed the money. :shuffle:

danceronice
04-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Oh, please. It's not being "morally opposed", it's thinking that it looks effing stupid. They didn't make the original with the intent of it being campy, they just had to run with cheap sets and no budget. This looks like another 'take a vague idea from original source and turn it into WACKY TIM BURTON FILM WHERE JOHNNY DEPP IS WEIRD!' See also Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...)

skatesindreams
04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Fans, colleagues remember 'Dark Shadows' star Jonathan Frid:
http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/20/fans-colleagues-remember-dark-shadows-star-jonathan-frid/?hpt=hp_c2

Latte
04-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Goodness! I thought he died years ago!
I loved that show. Rushed home from school to see it.
Honestly, we changed out dinner hour at my parents home when I was a kid so we all could sit down and watch it. We were all addicted to it.
From what I have seen of scenes from the new movie, it is just a joke, nothing like the original show. But I should have expected nothing more from Tim Burton, I just hoped. What a shame, I had been so looking forward to it.
RIP Barnabas, you were a icon.

aliceanne
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Oh, please. It's not being "morally opposed", it's thinking that it looks effing stupid. They didn't make the original with the intent of it being campy, they just had to run with cheap sets and no budget. This looks like another 'take a vague idea from original source and turn it into WACKY TIM BURTON FILM WHERE JOHNNY DEPP IS WEIRD!' See also Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...)

I just saw a picture of Johnny Depp in People magazine in a new role as Tonto in a remake of the "Lone Ranger". He was wearing black Kiss-style make-up and had a dead crow on his head (or some kind of bird). I can't remember if Tim Burton was involved.

I was in the hair salon so I don't know how old the magazine was.

genevieve
04-20-2012, 11:44 PM
that photo was released about a month ago I think

Susan1
04-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Saw this on the comments of the story on Yahoo -

"RIP Barnabas Collins
1760 - 2012"

Awwwwww.