PDA

View Full Version : CBC ices "Battle of the Blades" in budget cuts

Pages : 1 2 [3]

manhn
04-21-2012, 04:21 PM
CTV's coverage of the Olympics was AWESOME. However, I think an argument could be made that CBC would have given a similar effort for the 2010 Games. Let's see what CTV does for 2014 when the Games are not in Canada. Because outside of the 2010 Games, CBC still showcases Olympic sports better than CTV. I mean, this year's Canadians was a HOOOOGE step back from what we were accustomed to at CBC for the past several years.

I thought CTV had the 2012 and 2014 Games. 2016 and beyond are up in the air. I do recall the IOC not liking any of the bids for the Canadian rights to those Games. I think Yahoo! was interested or something. There was a thread about, I think.

SpeedySucks
04-22-2012, 02:53 PM
CTV's coverage of the Olympics was AWESOME. However, I think an argument could be made that CBC would have given a similar effort for the 2010 Games. Let's see what CTV does for 2014 when the Games are not in Canada. Because outside of the 2010 Games, CBC still showcases Olympic sports better than CTV. I mean, this year's Canadians was a HOOOOGE step back from what we were accustomed to at CBC for the past several years.

I thought CTV had the 2012 and 2014 Games. 2016 and beyond are up in the air. I do recall the IOC not liking any of the bids for the Canadian rights to those Games. I think Yahoo! was interested or something. There was a thread about, I think.

The broadcast consortium (including CTV, TSN, and SportsNet) has the rights to 2012. There is currently no TV deal in place for 2014-2016. CTV and CBC have made two joint offers to the IOC, both of which have been rejected. The last offer was for about $70 million, which is a little more than half of what CTV paid for 2010-2012. CTV and CBC have offered one price if NHL players are in Sochi and a lesser price if they aren't, which the IOC isn't buying either. The IOC has threatened to have no TV broadcaster in Canada if CTV and CBC don't increase their offer.

sequins
04-22-2012, 04:45 PM
The broadcast consortium (including CTV, TSN, and SportsNet) has the rights to 2012. There is currently no TV deal in place for 2014-2016. CTV and CBC have made two joint offers to the IOC, both of which have been rejected. The last offer was for about $70 million, which is a little more than half of what CTV paid for 2010-2012. CTV and CBC have offered one price if NHL players are in Sochi and a lesser price if they aren't, which the IOC isn't buying either. The IOC has threatened to have no TV broadcaster in Canada if CTV and CBC don't increase their offer.

That'll be great. We've always had such great coverage but I can't say I blame the IOC here.

Rock2
04-22-2012, 04:55 PM
CBC's core strengths are in sports and news so they will probably stick to that as their revenue drivers...although I'm hearing they may lose NHL hockey altogether to CTV/TSN when the NHL renewal comes up since they can't afford what are expected to be hefty renewal rights fees.

I'm guessing that for BOTB the profit and loss statement probably didn't look too good with ad revenues dropping so perhaps it was in danger of being an unprofitable show.

To the comment of "why is Can gov't funding reality programming", I don't think that's the point. CBC loses a kajillion dollars a year which the government absorbs. For the coming cycle the gov't probably said "here's a P&L we approve of which includes $X for production"; based on that P&L the CBC would lay out a sched and allocate production dollars to projects. The focus on reality programming just becomes a by-product of the approved financial plan...it's not necessarily a stated objective by the gov't.

HSGP21
04-22-2012, 09:28 PM
It is a shame BOTB is cut the same year Worlds are in Canada...would have been a nice chance to build some enthusiasm for ice skating

star_gazer11
04-22-2012, 11:30 PM
According to this article, Fall lineup withstands cuts (http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/fall+lineup+withstands+cuts/6490468/story.html):

New programs include: the crime drama Cracked; Over the Rainbow, a talent-competition search for the new Dorothy in a stage production of The Wizard of Oz; and a period drama, Titanic: Blood and Steel, from the production company behind Camelot and The Tudors.

CBC-TV's strategy is to stay the course - for now. Time will tell if audiences are suffering from Titanic overload. Over the Rainbow will play to a similar audience that followed Battle of the Blades, and which watches competition programs like Canada's Got Talent, The Voice and even Smash.

So BotB may have had another season, if there wasn't another upcoming reality show on cbc?

The Accordion
04-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Similar audience?
I know a ton of hockey fans who watched BOTB who will definitely NOT tune in to a musical theatre reality competition!
Sheesh!

professordeb
04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
First we said good-bye to SYTYCD Canada, now BOTB for some stupid contest to find "Dorothy" UGH!!!

overedge
04-23-2012, 08:20 PM
First we said good-bye to SYTYCD Canada, now BOTB for some stupid contest to find "Dorothy" UGH!!!

And it's not even an original idea - it's been done in the UK already. I say if some producer wants to get publicity for his restaging of The Wizard of Oz, and get his casting done as well, he can do it on some other network and not on our publicly-subsidized one :mad:

BOTB's basic idea may not have been original either, but at least bringing the hockey players into it made it more Canadian. I agree with The Accordion - viewers who watched BOTB because of the hockey players are NOT going to watch something about musical theatre.

Jenny
04-23-2012, 09:01 PM
The very idea that the BOTB audience will migrate en masse to some show about the Wizard of Oz is laughable.

star_gazer11
04-24-2012, 12:40 AM
The very idea that the BOTB audience will migrate en masse to some show about the Wizard of Oz is laughable.

Exactly - I don't know why they think the audience will shift just because they're both reality shows.

If BotB had to be axed period, in place of another reality show, I wish they did more seasons of Triple Sensation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Sensation).