PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

johndockley92
04-19-2012, 05:37 PM
Will each nation send different skaters to the team event than they do at the normal event? IE if the US sends Abbot and Rippon to the Olympics in men, would they send a different man to compete in the team event? I'd rather see it that way, tbh. Only the deepest countries would be competitive and it would make it so that more skaters got a great opportunity and that the skaters competing individually would have less to prepare for.

Anyways, I'm wondering which way it's going to be... And which way you think is better?

Jemestone
04-19-2012, 06:13 PM
I think the Olympic team comes from those who already qualified. So some people will just have to skate 4 times.

ETA: I have no opinion on which way works best. I don't think a skater deserves a medal if they couldn't qualify for the main events though. I just think this whole thing is dumb.

Rob
04-19-2012, 07:47 PM
This article suggests that the skaters would be those who already qualified for the individual events, but substitutions could be made.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/sports_globetrotting/2011/04/team-figure-skating-event-womens-ski-jumping-new-olympic-events.html

Sylvia
04-19-2012, 07:53 PM
This Reuters article (dated March 29, 2012) doesn't mention the possibility of substitutes; instead, Cinquanta states that the short programs of the 10 qualified teams will take place the day before the opening ceremony in Sochi: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/29/figure-skating-olympics-team-idUSL3E8ET8WL20120329

RFOS
04-19-2012, 07:56 PM
What if a country doesn't qualify a skater in a discipline? For example, if Takahashi & Tran were injured at Worlds and/or the Olympic qualifying event, and the other team (if any) who competed didn't earn the spot? We already known T&T won't likely be able to compete themselves. Assuming Japan still did qualify a team I wonder if they would be allowed to send a pair who didn't qualify for the actual pairs event (and wouldn't be a substitute for it either).

manhn
04-19-2012, 07:57 PM
The day before? That sounds awful, particularly for the Russian skaters.

Rob
04-19-2012, 08:07 PM
I am surprised they get to try this "experiment" out at the Olympics, instead of at the World Championships.

Visaliakid
04-19-2012, 09:05 PM
If my memory serves me correctly Speedy made reference to the Team event in Sochi as a possible Mixed-Team format with qualified singles, pairs and dancers being put on different teams instead of the same format used in WTT. If that is the case, then just please scrap the whole idea as an olympic event. Makes no sense as the Olympic Movement is all about Nationalism and national teams competing against one another.

pingu
04-19-2012, 09:07 PM
This is another article about the Team Event: http://www.artonice.it/?q=en/node/11950

Fridge_Break
04-20-2012, 12:24 AM
Good grief, this sounds like it's going to be a huge mess.

Eislauffan
04-20-2012, 03:52 AM
If my memory serves me correctly Speedy made reference to the Team event in Sochi as a possible Mixed-Team format with qualified singles, pairs and dancers being put on different teams instead of the same format used in WTT. If that is the case, then just please scrap the whole idea as an olympic event. Makes no sense as the Olympic Movement is all about Nationalism and national teams competing against one another.

This only referred to the Youth Olympic Games. At the Olympic Winter Games, the teams will be formed from one country only.
I think it is good to have a team event and thus giving more skaters an opportunity to win medals. However, the timing is bad. The team event should take place after the individual event. I think in most other disciplines this is the case.

Ten teams will qualify according to the result of the World Championships 2013. All compete in the short program but only the top ranked five teams will compete in the free skating of the Olympic team event.

Theatregirl1122
04-20-2012, 04:45 AM
This only referred to the Youth Olympic Games. At the Olympic Winter Games, the teams will be formed from one country only.
I think it is good to have a team event and thus giving more skaters an opportunity to win medals. However, the timing is bad. The team event should take place after the individual event. I think in most other disciplines this is the case.

I can't think of anything it IS true for. Team is before individual in gymnastics, relays are interspersed with individual in swimming, I think in track cycling they are interspersed. Athletics the relay's are sort of at the end.

And I don't see how "figure skating is just not a team sport!" makes sense. Gymnastics is a team sport and the only real difference between that and figure skating in this context is that people are used to gymnastics as a team sport.

manhn
04-20-2012, 04:49 AM
The difference between gymnastics is NOTHING in figure skating is as bad as the floor exercise. Gymnastics sucks!

allezfred
04-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Athletics the relay's are sort of at the end.

They are at the end and well after the individual events have finished. :)

Andrey aka Pushkin
04-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Am I the only one who really HATES the WTT idea?