PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

AJ Skatefan
04-26-2012, 12:20 AM
The team idea doesn't work, unlike in gymnastics, because it requires that every participant country has competitors in all four disciplines, which the majority of ISU member countries do not have.

In gymnastics there are countries that can't qualify a team for the team all around and only have gymnasts that qualify for the individual apparatus events.

kwanfan1818
04-26-2012, 12:42 AM
How do they qualify for individual events? I thought the scores in the team events were used to qualify for the all-around individual title, but, is even that right? From what I could glean in a web search, the Olympic qualifiers determine who qualifies for individual apparatus events.

Zazy
04-26-2012, 01:18 AM
Unlike gymnastics, figure skating does not have a history of team competition. It's always been an individual sport. Figure skaters also tend to avoid competing two weeks in a row.

Of course, change isn't necessarily a bad thing and team competition might end up being a great idea. The problem is that it's being rushed like crazy. WTT has only been held twice and it's basically a cheesefest with the rules set up to benefit the host country. Sochi is going to be the first time it's held as a serious competition, with the individual events right after. You'd think they could at least hold a trial run next year with a combined world event. Honestly, it looks like not much thought has been put into this and that the $ motivation is overcoming common sense. I feel bad for the synchro skaters. They have an actual event with a real if short history and could use the exposure.

barbk
04-26-2012, 02:55 AM
I suspect that the chances of synchro being added are pretty low -- especially with the Olympics trying to keep the number of athletes down AND having shortage of ice time (which synchro teams need in spades) -- and nothing like the popularity of some of the other events at the Winter X Games that are hoping for inclusion.

The tsunami is probably the key reason why we're heading into Sochi with such little experience with WTT. I suspect it will get plenty serious in the run-up to the Olympics.

AJ Skatefan
04-26-2012, 05:29 AM
How do they qualify for individual events? I thought the scores in the team events were used to qualify for the all-around individual title, but, is even that right? From what I could glean in a web search, the Olympic qualifiers determine who qualifies for individual apparatus events.

Maybe I'm wrong since I'm no technik in gymnastics. But watching gymnastics I see gymnasts from random countries in individual events that I didn't see in the team event. But that may be just because they weren't shown on tv in the team part.

Fridge_Break
04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Maybe I'm wrong since I'm no technik in gymnastics. But watching gymnastics I see gymnasts from random countries in individual events that I didn't see in the team event. But that may be just because they weren't shown on tv in the team part.

12 full teams qualify to the Olympics for gymnastics, anyone from a country who does not have a full team advance needs to qualify at the World Championships the year before as an individual.

I wish we'd have some trial runs of this event before it's thrown in to the Olympics. I am not opposed to the idea, I just think it has the potential to end in a big disaster because of lack of experience with how it's run.

AJ Skatefan
04-26-2012, 07:11 PM
12 full teams qualify to the Olympics for gymnastics, anyone from a country who does not have a full team advance needs to qualify at the World Championships the year before as an individual.

I wish we'd have some trial runs of this event before it's thrown in to the Olympics. I am not opposed to the idea, I just think it has the potential to end in a big disaster because of lack of experience with how it's run.

Thanks for the clarification. So I'm sort of right.....

demetriosj
04-26-2012, 09:55 PM
I think that good sportsmanship (including applause for your competitor's performance) never looks foolish.

Yah, when it's genuine.

barbk
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Yah, when it's genuine.

From long experience with kids, when you model and encourage a certain behavior, kids absorb it, even if they are at first just making a pro forma effort. We already see individual athletes cheering on their teammates in other individual sports; and I think that we'll see the same with skaters. And if that's new behavior that some skaters need to learn...so be it. (My guessing is that Scott got some feedback, at least informally, about WTT, and I'd be really surprised to see him do that again.)

skateboy
04-27-2012, 06:56 PM
For people who keep calling WTT a cheesefest: define "cheesefest."

To me, a cheesefest is a "contest" where skaters often put out exhibition-like programs, or technically watered down programs, or a pro-am type of event, sometimes even with special lighting, etc. WTT features top elite skaters, all skating at the top of their game.

I do not see WTT as a cheesefest AT ALL.

julieann
04-27-2012, 07:16 PM
For people who keep calling WTT a cheesefest: define "cheesefest."

To me, a cheesefest is a "contest" where skaters often put out exhibition-like programs, or technically watered down programs, or a pro-am type of event, sometimes even with special lighting, etc. WTT features top elite skaters, all skating at the top of their game.

I do not see WTT as a cheesefest AT ALL.

To me the competition itself was very well done but cheese factor came about by the actions of the skaters in the K&C. I wish they had acted more like it was a real competition and less like a 'Fox Ice Special' I hope that gets fixed for the Olympics

walei
04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I think WTT is designed to be more playful with the kiss and cry setup where each team gets their own booth. It is still an ISU event with scores counts towards SB records so technically I don't consider it a cheese.

It won't be set up that way in the Olympics for sure, no way they will allocate so much space with all the teams gathering in one area, and the main KnC itself I doubt they will allow the whole team to act like silly cheer leaders.

Ziggy
04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Yah, when it's genuine.

I think you should stop projecting your own issues on skaters. :P

pingu
04-28-2012, 08:11 AM
Yah, when it's genuine.

I talked with the italian guys yesterday and they really had a great time cheering for their teammates and the other competitors, and watching the whole competition (something they usually are not able to do). If you want to think they were all being fake and just pretending to have fun, you can, but it's not the truth :P