PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8

Yazmeen
04-24-2012, 06:08 PM
We're all entitled to our own opinion. But this sport has seen such a downward spiral in popularity that it would be a shame to bring it down even further with such a senseless event at the Olympics.

Has it occurred to you that maybe the casual fan or the non-skating fan might really enjoy this because of the team aspect? I can see where this could definitely grab the public who doesn't necessarily tune in to the individual events.

It's not all about the serious and uber fans, you know. As for me, the more skating I get to see in the Olympics, the better!

Rob
04-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I think that good sportsmanship (including applause for your competitor's performance) never looks foolish.

snoopyskater
04-24-2012, 06:52 PM
I wonder if the Olympic exhibition will include medal winners in the team event? Do the teams need to prepare a special group routine? I imagine it would be hard to cordinate schedules especially around a stressful time as the Olympics.

Rob
04-24-2012, 07:08 PM
Also, the strategy is interesting. In Vancouver, the US might have put up Weir and in the SP (he was usually a good SP skater) and Lysacek in the LP. I assume Flatt would have skated both programs since she was still Miss Consistency up till then. Would they have swapped out pairs or dance or just used 1 team? Interesting thought.

Which pair would Canada have put up? Probably D/D, but maybe both? Russia? Both?

tralfamadorian
04-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I enjoyed the WTT last week but I'm already scared to death of all the wuzrobbing to come when skater X gets different scores on different days for programs that look about the same to the casual viewer. God save ice dancing especially if V/M were to win one event and D/W the other without any obviously visible mistakes in any performance... :scream:

Rob
04-24-2012, 07:29 PM
I think gymnastics has the same issue - absent a fall, a huge step out, or a major balance break, the casual viewer can't tell why the gymnast missed out on bonus points for connecting movements when they simply hesitated for a second too long. Or when they slightly piked something that should have been laid out, etc.

julieann
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
I think gymnastics has the same issue - absent a fall, a huge step out, or a major balance break, the casual viewer can't tell why the gymnast missed out on bonus points for connecting movements when they simply hesitated for a second too long. Or when they slightly piked something that should have been laid out, etc.

Any ardent fan will get frustrated with a 'casual' viewer when they don't understand the rules of any sport. The remedy is, learn the rules...:shuffle:

Ziggy
04-24-2012, 08:34 PM
We're all entitled to our own opinion. But this sport has seen such a downward spiral in popularity that it would be a shame to bring it down even further with such a senseless event at the Olympics.

How exactly is adding a team event going to bring figure skating's popularity even further down?

AJ Skatefan
04-24-2012, 11:47 PM
It looked to me like most of the skaters were having a great time. And all the silly cheering, hats, pompoms, horns etc. added to the fun. I was cracking up with the antics of the Italian and French teams. I thought the whole thing was highly entertaining.

t.mann
04-25-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't like the WTT idea.
First of all, sports must be fair.
While some skaters enjoy their opportunities to reperform or redeem in the BIG & honorable event as the Olympics, some skaters(Brezina, Fernandez, No.2&3 skaters from strong federations etc.) don't even get that opportunity.

a56
04-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Think the whole idea is silly and a waste of time. Figure skating is not a team sport, and forcing it is not going to make it a team sport. The recent WTT proved how nonsensical and fake the whole team idea is within figure skating. Thought the skaters looked foolish and forced with their fake cheering for their competitors whose butts they really want to kick.

I don't like WTT idea.
While some skaters enjoy their opportunities to reperform or redeem in the BIG&honorable event as Olympics, some skaters(Brezina, Fernandez, No.2&3 skaters from strong federations etc.) don't even get that opportunity.

I totally agree with both of these posters. WTT is a silly cheesefest, and WTT at the Olympics is not going to be any different. Sure, it's more skating for fs fans, and that's why so many are enthusiastic on this forum, but it's nothing more than a cheesefest. The team idea doesn't work, unlike in gymnastics, because it requires that every participant country has competitors in all four disciplines, which the majority of ISU member countries do not have. In gymnastics, each gymnast is able to do all 4 or 6 events, normally. You divide the events up according to the gymnast's strengths - gymnast Marina does the balance beam, gymnast Daniela does the uneven bars and the floor exercise, etc.

However, a male singles skater cannot compete in the ice dance event, a pairs team cannot skate in the ladies singles event, and so on and so forth. So you need separate skaters/teams for all four disciplines, obviously. Also, to suggest that some countries should be able to only send competitors in three disciplines doesn't even make sense (bending the rules so country A or B can win?) - it would be such a farce. How would that even work? Country A has no/a weak dance team, so that means countries B through F cannot send any dance teams, and only their pairs teams, even if their dance teams are significantly stronger than their pairs teams (think USA or CAN)? That would completely change the results than if no pairs teams were allowed and only dance teams were allowed. Or are they going to somehow match pairs teams against dance teams? How are they going to allocate team points? WTT is just going to be dominated by a small number of countries, and most countries will not even be eligible.

minignome
04-25-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't like the WTT idea.
While some skaters enjoy their opportunities to reperform or redeem in the BIG & honorable event as the Olympics, some skaters(Brezina, Fernandez, No.2&3 skaters from strong federations etc.) don't even get that opportunity.

It works that way in a lot of sports -- if only 2 folks from a federation are talented enough to qualify for cross country, ski jumping, certain swimming events they don't get to participate in the team or relay competitions. Hopefully that should encourage federations to develop talent. Life isn't fair.

Even if every federation was talented enough to field a team, logistical/financial reality would say they have to draw the line somewhere on the number of teams entered.

Yazmeen
04-25-2012, 09:33 PM
WTT is just going to be dominated by a small number of countries, and most countries will not even be eligible.

Um, other Olympic sports are not dominated by a few countries? The point of the Olympics is showcasing your best athletes. Not every country has top figure skaters or top skiiers or top gymnasts, etc. Really, it seems like a lot of the complaining about this event seems to be centered around "my favorite skater/country won't be included" or "my favorite skater could potentially have a poorer result because of the team aspect" (and potentially could be hurt in the individual events by this).

kwanfan1818
04-25-2012, 11:08 PM
I think that good sportsmanship (including applause for your competitor's performance) never looks foolish.
I still remember Rubleva sitting in Kiss and Cry after R/S's skate at Skate America in Everett, watching the next (non-Russian, non-teammate) team's dance and applauding them throughout.

WTT is just going to be dominated by a small number of countries, and most countries will not even be eligible.
If a sport is dominated by a country or two, the sport gets a warning from the IOC that it might be pulled, like Women's hockey was in danger of being.

Ziggy
04-26-2012, 12:02 AM
Um, other Olympic sports are not dominated by a few countries? The point of the Olympics is showcasing your best athletes. Not every country has top figure skaters or top skiiers or top gymnasts, etc. Really, it seems like a lot of the complaining about this event seems to be centered around "my favorite skater/country won't be included" or "my favorite skater could potentially have a poorer result because of the team aspect" (and potentially could be hurt in the individual events by this).

This.

Thanks to including the team event, federations might start to put more resources into developing Pairs and Ice Dance programs.