PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

kwanfan1818
04-23-2012, 04:02 AM
Teams can only switch out in two of the four disciplines between the SP/SD and FS/FD.

If Skate Canada is concerned about fatigue, they'd split duties among the Pairs, since Pairs are first out of the gate, and then, probably Men's FS.

Since all participants in the Team event have to have qualified for individual events, it's not that likely that Canada will have two women from which to choose.

The winning Team would be considered Olympic Champion, and participants would be gold-medal winning members of the Olympic Championship Team. That said, were Canada to win and were Phaneuf on the team, on TV appearances she would be wearing a gold medal and, most likely, Canadian TV would refer to her as "Olympic Champion Cynthia Phaneuf."

Any medal-winning team can have one weak member/team. Once the team is qualified, the worst the skater can place is 5th, and if the medal is decided by a point, then if they use this year's scoring scheme, it doesn't matter if the 5th place skater is 5th by .02 or 20, then the weakest skater has helped the team win. (They could decide to factor the scores, ex: instead of giving 10/9/8/7/6 for 1st-5th, they could give 10/8/6/4/2.)

screech
04-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Teams can only switch out in two of the four disciplines between the SP/SD and FS/FD.

If Skate Canada is concerned about fatigue, they'd split duties among the Pairs, since Pairs are first out of the gate, and then, probably Men's FS.

Timing wise it makes sense to do pairs as the split, but I would think SC would choose mens and dance, since they have a chance for gold in those disciplines, and would likely want to keep Patrick and V/M as fresh as possible for the individual events. Unless they decide to have W/P do the whole dance event and not have V/M participate in the team event at all, though I dunno, since they have a chance for a medal as well and would likely want them fresh as well.

Ziggy
04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
The one thing that bugs me about this is if a country has a not so great skater (like Canada in the ladies), but the country wins gold... would Cynthia Phaneuf be forever subsequently referred to as the Olympic Champion? That kind of takes away from the prestige of winning the O's IMO, if you get the title based on the merit of other people.

Yes, that's the idea of the team event. :P

nlyoung
04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I know it will be different preparation from what they are used to, but there is no reason elite athletes (without injury) shouldn't be able to skate one additional short and long program in the days leading up to the main event. It's not like they won't be doing program run throughs anyway... They could actually use it as a nice warmup. It is possible that we'll see skaters take a more relaxed approach to the event, i.e. the top skaters could do less than 100% and still place well... Strategy will also play into it, i.e. what a competitor's team is choosing to do.

Bottom line is that there will be Olympic medals up for grabs. Who wouldn't want to chance to earn one of those...

AJ Skatefan
04-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes, that's the idea of the team event. :P

It happens in gymnastics, hockey, basketball and numerous other team events.

demetriosj
04-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Think the whole idea is silly and a waste of time. Figure skating is not a team sport, and forcing it is not going to make it a team sport. The recent WTT proved how nonsensical and fake the whole team idea is within figure skating. Thought the skaters looked foolish and forced with their fake cheering for their competitors whose butts they really want to kick. It's truly every skater for him/herself in this sport, so why try to act like it's not?

Ziggy
04-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Think the whole idea is silly and a waste of time. Figure skating is not a team sport, and forcing it is not going to make it a team sport. The recent WTT proved how nonsensical and fake the whole team idea is within figure skating. Thought the skaters looked foolish and forced with their fake cheering for their competitors whose butts they really want to kick. It's truly every skater for him/herself in this sport, so why try to act like it's not?

I don't know where you got that idea from but the vast majority of the skaters I've known felt more or less closely bonded with their team mates and supported and cheered for them.

pingu
04-24-2012, 02:42 PM
I don't know where you got that idea from but the vast majority of the skaters I've known felt more or less closely bonded with their team mates and supported and cheered for them.

I agree; I can only talk about the italian team as that's the one I know, but I can assure you that they are always as fun and friendly as they looked during the WTT. I'm not saying that they are all BFF, but they were supposed to go there and enjoy together the competition, and that' what they did.

demetriosj
04-24-2012, 02:51 PM

Well I'm sure it wasn't hard for the Pairs to cheer for the Ladies or Men and vice versa,
but within the same discipline and country, (Example, US Ladies) it's hard to believe these skaters were genuinely cheering for their direct competitors & it showed. Very phony.

Sylvia
04-24-2012, 02:54 PM
The collective cheering following Daisuke Takahashi's FS from many of the skaters seemed genuine to me.

barbk
04-24-2012, 03:06 PM
In gymnastics you often see gymnasts cheering for other members of their team, even though they're also in direct competition with them for spots in event finals and all-around. I'm pretty sure I've seen the half-pipe folks do the same.

And it wasn't all that long ago when singles skaters had figures and pairs compulsories to do as a separate segment, and then the period when there were anxiety-ridden qualifying rounds that counted for the ultimate placements. Skating in a team event before the individual events is the very best chance most skaters will ever have at an Olympic medal, and my guess is that they'll be very happy to participate.

Yazmeen
04-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Can we also add the close friendship between Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson? They even roomed together during the Olympics, and Shawn was not just gracious but genuinely happy for Nastia even though she came in second to her in the all-around. Team spirit can exist in harmony with individual competitions.

I'm personally looking forward to this event and will be curious to see how it plays out. And demitriosj, sorry, but I also didn't see this "phoniness" you are talking about. If you don't like this format, fine, but don't necessarily project your feelings onto the skaters (save, perhaps, Scott Moir, who was pretty obvious about his dislike for the event).

I have to wonder if some fans don't like the format because they are concerned that their favorite won't place as well in a team format as they would in the usual event format (ie: be held down by the other disciplines).

demetriosj
04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
We're all entitled to our own opinion. But this sport has seen such a downward spiral in popularity that it would be a shame to bring it down even further with such a senseless event at the Olympics.

julieann
04-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Think the whole idea is silly and a waste of time. Figure skating is not a team sport

The same thing could be said about swimming and gymnastics and yet they have team medals and relays. And at least in skating we do have pairs and ice dancing where two skater do skate together whereas the other sports don't. So if any sport should have a team element skating should have been first.

I just hope the skaters aren't allowed to act childish in the K&C like they did in the WTT. That did bring down the class a few notches. :yikes:

They should have had it at Worlds for a few years exactly how they were going to have it a the Olympics and worked out the kinks before they rolled it out. It don't think it will be ready in 22 months, they should have waited for 2018.

matti
04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
I'd rather have fours and eights as team competitions. Please, introduce special figures event! Also, bring out solo dance!