PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Jemestone
04-21-2012, 11:47 AM
im late on this but...

so only those who would qualify can compete in the TE ?
and before the individual skates ? sounds like a disaster

It would have been better to have separate set of skaters for TE
from Individual disciplines to reduce suffering from burnout :rolleyes:

and with the change in possible ISU rules, so Julia may not go to 2014 ? :(
that would be horrible, she is the most promising of all the young girls

1. Yes
2. I don't think so, skaters who didn't manage to qualify for the individual events should not get a chance to compete at the team event [JMO]. They should just move the team event so that it is after the individual event.
3. What??? Julia will turn 15 b/f July 1 so she can compete unless they are changing the age for senior championships to 16 or something.

Ziggy
04-22-2012, 02:27 AM
Can't they just move the Team Event to as near the end of Olympics as possible? :/

Israel has no lady (what happened to Tamar Katz?) and Dance Team.

Tamar Katz retired.

They have a Dance team (Bugrov/Rogov).

Jenna
04-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Margot Krisberg has competed for Israel on the JGP in the past.

servin
04-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Sweden has two senior pairs and one senior ice dance team who has competed on JGP or senior B competitions.

Domshabfan
04-22-2012, 08:12 AM
:P

:blah: Sorry, USA won this event in Tokyo in 2009... it is not made up just for Japan to win. Same format as in 2009 as well. Bogus arguments. :rolleyes:

In Sochi there will be just one Man, one Lady, one Pair Team and one Dance Team. Go ahead and hate this... thankfully yours and others hate for this will not cancel it! So sit back and suffer all you like. Those of us who want to see this will enjoy it to the max! :D

Yes, US won the first championships, however rules are so designed to favour Japan to do well. I think format should have been one individual skater in both ladies and men, a pair and ice dance team. If japan so wants 2 individual skaters they should allow two pairs and two ice dancers as well (of source that would mean if won't have a team from Japan at all.

Sochi is set out to be a mess as well since the sp has 10 teams and LP has 5 teams, so even more mess.

sjs5572
04-22-2012, 10:59 AM
Can't they just move the Team Event to as near the end of Olympics as possible? :/

Tamar Katz retired.

They have a Dance team (Bugrov/Rogov).

I think that Tamar Katz's retirement may have had something to do with her brother being killed on his motorcycle by a hit and run driver. He was a handsome, successful guy....what a tragedy!

mazzy
04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
It would have been better to have separate set of skaters for TE
from Individual disciplines to reduce suffering from burnout :rolleyes:

I see that brought up pretty often and I wonder if that is actually relevant or if people are severly underestimating the skaters. There are plenty of sports where athletes have several events to compete in and they seem to manage. Its not like a LP is comparable to a marathon.

NMURA
04-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Mervin Tran seeks Japanese citizenship and aims for Sochi
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120422-00000052-mai-spo

That's what the JSF officials disclosed. Of course he doesn't fulfill the criteria for naturalization. Foreigners needs to live in Japan for 5 years (in the case of spouses of Japanese citizens, 3 years). The special consideration of the Japanese government is absolutely necessary.

Sylvia
04-22-2012, 03:19 PM
Here's the link to an older thread in GSD that contains information about the Olympic qualification process, specifically the team event: Team competition at Sochi (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81855)

ETA: Here's the link to a new GSD thread, started today, about Mervin Tran and Japanese citizenship based on the article link posted above: Tran Aiming to Obtain Japanese Citizenship (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=83415)

carriecmu0503
04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
The Shibitanis should sit out the required year to switch countries, and come back to compete for Japan in the Olympic year. They would have a great shot at an OGM in the team event, especially of Tran somehow does manage to get citizenship. Joking. Well, maybe only half joking.....I believe the Shibutanis do have Japanese citizenship because of their parents, though that dual citizenship won't last forever.

kwanfan1818
04-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I suspect the Olympics are a big event in which she will invest. Who cares what happens at 2014 Worlds if she hits in Sochi?

viennese
04-23-2012, 12:09 AM
I am surprised they get to try this "experiment" out at the Olympics, instead of at the World Championships.

you and me both.
i am so confused by how they're going to schedule this event and place athletes.

operagirl
04-23-2012, 02:15 AM
Could Lambiel and Sarah Meier come back for the team medal? I'm sure they could both still qualify at Nebelhorn.

walei
04-23-2012, 02:59 AM
you and me both.
i am so confused by how they're going to schedule this event and place athletes.

I guess it's actually easier to schedule this for the Olympics. Worlds are a week long competition with long qualifying rounds, hard to fit in team events with a packed schedule already. For the Olympics it's a little over two weeks and the # of entrants are cut down so easier to fit in another competition.

Still not too keen with the idea though... We will for sure read about some skaters who will kick themselves if they nailed the TE and bomb their individual discipline. Especially if they deliver a gold winning program but their team overall isn't strong enough to win.

screech
04-23-2012, 03:14 AM
I don't think it will cause as big of an issue for the 'main event' as people think. Countries will be very strategic.

Canada, for example, would likely have Chan do the SP (where he's more consistent and less likely to wear himself out) - get them some high scores, then he'll rest out until the mens individual event, and have Kevin Reynolds do the LP (quad it up!). A couple of really awesome dance teams - give V/M either the SD or FD, and W/P the other. Pairs are all kind of on par (especially D/R and MT/M, so if both qualify give one program to each). Ladies are going to pretty much suck, unless Cynthia gets her head on straight, so it doesn't really matter.

That way if Canada wins a team medal, all the skaters get a medal, but they also don't 'wear themselves out' for the individual events.

The one thing that bugs me about this is if a country has a not so great skater (like Canada in the ladies), but the country wins gold... would Cynthia Phaneuf be forever subsequently referred to as the Olympic Champion? That kind of takes away from the prestige of winning the O's IMO, if you get the title based on the merit of other people.

No offense to Cynthia - I like her, but girl needs work.