PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

Jemestone
04-20-2012, 11:01 PM
^ and a low score in dance on top of that.

NMURA
04-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Even with T/T, an "Olympic" medal will be difficult for the Japanese "team". Russia is lock for gold, and North Americans will vie for silver and bronze. What matters is participation at the Olympics. Skaters can use this as the warmup before real competitions.

ETA - Maybe it's not "very difficult" with T/T if they could place the top 3 or 4. It's more probable to create a new national pair team before the Olympics. They don't need to be very competitive.

kwanfan1818
04-21-2012, 12:35 AM
My preference to replace the Exhibition would be:

1. Retain the CD, but add the key points called by the technical team.

2. Synchro -- won't happen because they'd never fork up the money.

2,056. This silly team event, especially given the difficulty in finding partners with the same citizenship.

It's interesting that the top 10 teams are chosen based on prior World Championships, when not everyone who competes at 2013 Worlds will be eligible to compete for the Olympics.

ltnskater
04-21-2012, 01:23 AM
I have no problem with the Team Event at the Olys if the skaters are the same ones who qualified for the traditional events (singles, pairs or dance). The problem for me would have been if the ISU would have made this a special 'cheesefest' of old stars who no longer compete in the regular events, even if they have officially maintained "eligibility" for years. Doesn't seem to be the case, thank goodness.

It's a way for Michelle Kwan to finally win her Olympic gold medal! :D And a treat for us to watch too!

Jammers
04-21-2012, 01:42 AM
Even with T/T, an "Olympic" medal will be difficult for the Japanese "team". Russia is lock for gold, and North Americans will vie for silver and bronze. What matters is participation at the Olympics. Skaters can use this as the warmup before real competitions.

ETA - Maybe it's not "very difficult" with T/T if they could place the top 3 or 4. It's more probable to create a new national pair team before the Olympics. They don't need to be very competitive.

How exactly are the Russians a lock for gold? The Men are awful and Ice Dancing isn't great right now either. And the book is still out on the Ladies whoever it may be. Only in Pairs are the Russians deep with proven teams.

kwanfan1818
04-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Evgeni Plushenko.

If none of the younger Russian Ladies step up, there's always the World Silver Medallist.

Jemestone
04-21-2012, 01:50 AM
There's one man who needs to compete for Russia and that just may be Plushenko and he's far from awful. Gachinsky isn't that awful either and the games are in Russia so who knows how his PCS will look like if he goes clean.

aftershocks
04-21-2012, 01:52 AM
What is the rule for Olympic participation, i.e., does a country winning 3 spots in men's and ladies at Worlds 2013 qualify that country to send 3 men and 3 ladies to the Olympics in 2014?

How does the team event rules affect athlete selection? I think it would be great if 3rd and 4th place skaters at a Nationals had the opportunity to compete in the Olympic team event, while allowing top Nationals finishers the opportunity to concentrate on the singles event challenges.

It's interesting that the top 10 teams are chosen based on prior World Championships, when not everyone who competes at 2013 Worlds will be eligible to compete for the Olympics.

Oh, if this is the case then it might allow for more skaters having the opportunity to compete at the Olympics, but it will really depend on whether those who compete and place in top ten at Worlds in 2013, will be slightly different from top placers at respective Nationals events in 2014.

Jemestone
04-21-2012, 01:59 AM
What is the rule for Olympic participation, i.e., does a country winning 3 spots in men's and ladies at Worlds 2013 qualify that country to send 3 men and 3 ladies to the Olympics in 2014?

How does the team event rules affect athlete selection? I think it would be great if 3rd and 4th place skaters at a Nationals had the opportunity to compete in the Olympic team event, while allowing top Nationals finishers the opportunity to concentrate on the singles event challenges.

No the team is coming from those who made the olympic squad for the individual events with a few exceptions. They don't want to build extra housing so that's why it's like that....and i prefer it to be that way.

And then from those who qualify they pick their team, i would suppose.

kwanfan1818
04-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Countries MUST select from the skaters who are already qualified for the individual events... Therefore, if Joannie Rochette wants to compete in the team competition, she would have to qualify to compete for Canada in the ladies' singles event.
The way it sounds, a team can substitute up to two different skaters and/or teams, but those skaters/teams must have qualified for their individual medal events.

It's not looking great for a second Canadian lady at Sochi at the moment, unless Rochette comes back in 2013. She's been keeping up her jumps in case she decides to return -- she might be one of the few top women to do all of them -- and the team event may give her incentive if she's not sure she will be able to defend her bronze or go higher in Ladies.

The qualifying rules for Olympics 2014 and Worlds 2014 are based on the Worlds 2013 results. The only difference is that the number of singles to qualify for the Olympics is limited to 24 from London results, with the balance to be earned through the qualifying competition in Fall 2013, including replacement spots for any country that doesn't use the slots, due to citizenship, NOC requirements, or lack of skaters/teams. At Worlds, any IOC member can send one, as long as the skater/team meets the championship minimum TES scores for SP and FS.

Since 24 singles qualify for Sochi through Worlds 2013, I think in every scenario where the maximum number of spots are gained -- six earning three spots and three earning two for a total of 24 -- any country that qualifies two or three in London qualifies two or three for Sochi as well as Worlds 2014. That means either that there are nine countries with two or three, or seven countries with two or three, and two countries with one placing first or second in London. Either is an unlikely scenario, and for Vancouver, seven Ladies, six Men, two Pairs, and five Dance teams earned a single spot without their countries having to qualify through Nebelhorn.

From what we can glean, it doesn't: all Team competitors must compete in individual events. Any country qualified for the Team event and with more than one entry chooses one participant for the SP/SD, and then the five countries in the finals choose one participant for the FS/FD, with at least two of the same SP/SD skaters competing in the FS/FD. This allows a country with two or three in a discipline and which has a strong SP/SD skater/team to slot that skater in the qualifier, while a stronger FS/FD skater/team can compete in the final. It also allows a country to spread the wealth, and get a maximum of ten team members medals, if they have different dance and pair teams skate the SP/SD and the FS/FD.

mazzy
04-21-2012, 02:45 AM
This probably won't happen anyway...but do you really think that any Federation will throw away an Olympic medal so that their nr. 4 gets to compete? The only instances where Feds would not send their very best would be if they have no shot at a team medal anyway (e.g. Germany giving S/S a rest).

Theatregirl1122
04-21-2012, 03:04 AM
This allows a country with two or three in a discipline and which has a strong SP/SD skater/team to slot that skater in the qualifier, while a stronger FS/FD skater/team can compete in the final.

So in 2006, the US men could have competed Johnny in the SP and Evan in the LP, for example? Too bad we couldn't do that in singles. Johnny's SP + Evan's LP would have won the Olympic silver medal! ;)

I love that there is going to be a team event. I've always thought it was sad how few Olympic medals were up for grabs in FS. In many sports, like swimming, tons of athletes win gold medals (or one guy can win 8...). In figure skating it has been 6 gold medals total (counting team medals by the number of athletes who receive them). Now we could have anywhere from 12-16 depending on what happens with the substitutions. I think that is awesome!

BigB08822
04-21-2012, 05:57 AM
If you don't like the idea of a team event then don't compete in it. Mmmkay. Probably wont be a problem for any of you.

love_skate2011
04-21-2012, 09:18 AM
im late on this but...

so only those who would qualify can compete in the TE ?
and before the individual skates ? sounds like a disaster

It would have been better to have separate set of skaters for TE
from Individual disciplines to reduce suffering from burnout :rolleyes:

and with the change in possible ISU rules, so Julia may not go to 2014 ? :(
that would be horrible, she is the most promising of all the young girls

love_skate2011
04-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Evgeni Plushenko.

If none of the younger Russian Ladies step up, there's always the World Silver Medallist.

Leonova ? :rofl:
she's a hit or miss

I notice after a big event she invests on. she suffers burnout,

Grand Prix Final - > Euros :blah:
Worlds -> TE :blah:

I'm seeing a pattern. not good for the Olympics depending on what
precedes at the event. there is still Tuk Tuk and they might invest in Julia more if she can still compete by 2014.