PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Frau Muller
04-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I have no problem with the Team Event at the Olys if the skaters are the same ones who qualified for the traditional events (singles, pairs or dance). The problem for me would have been if the ISU would have made this a special 'cheesefest' of old stars who no longer compete in the regular events, even if they have officially maintained "eligibility" for years. Doesn't seem to be the case, thank goodness.

skatak
04-20-2012, 07:04 PM
In Nice Cinquanta held a conference where questions were mainly about the WTT at OG.
For OG, you qualify individually given the results at previous Worlds + the rest of the spots from the B competition in the fall. I don't think it has changed ?

For the WTT, the results from previous competitionS will be taken into account to select the top 10 countries : Worlds, Grand Prix, "and if necessary 4CC, Junior Worlds and Junior Grand Prix, but not the Grand Prix Finals" (I think i missed the mention of Euros).

That selects 10 teams, made up with 1 entry in each discipline.
After the short programs, the top 5 teams will advance to the long programs, with the possibility to change 2 entries (for example lady + dance).
The top three after the LP will get medals (all the skaters of the team that participated will get one, even if they only skate a SP), team 4 and 5 will get "a diploma".

This event will take place on the first 3 days of the Olys, day 1 being the day before the Opening Ceremony.

(lol, should have read the artonice article, it's only a repeat ^^).

Then, the usual individual events will take place.

I guess it will be up to the countries to select the participants to the team event... I don't think it's only the skaters that are qualified for the indivivual events that can take part, since the qualification process is different.
(I may not have been the only one to keep thinking, as it was explaining the procesx, 'sooo, will Joannie be able to skate at OG at the team event if she wants to ?).

Visaliakid
04-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Your description sounds like Rhythmic Gymnastics Group event rather than Artistic Gymnastics team event.

As for WTT I like the concept of team event but I hate the implementation. WTT looks like something Japanese Federation came up so that they can win it, and ISU happily agreed to the concept. How else could you explain 2 individual skaters in Men's and ladies event and just 1 pair and ice dance team. More like damage control in those event. I think ISU should organise it with the same rules as Olympics team event. I also hate the rules in place for team events at Olympics (that is whole other issue.:mad:). :P

:blah: Sorry, USA won this event in Tokyo in 2009... it is not made up just for Japan to win. Same format as in 2009 as well. Bogus arguments. :rolleyes:

In Sochi there will be just one Man, one Lady, one Pair Team and one Dance Team. Go ahead and hate this... thankfully yours and others hate for this will not cancel it! So sit back and suffer all you like. Those of us who want to see this will enjoy it to the max! :D

Rob
04-20-2012, 07:22 PM
I thought that there were issues with increasing the number of athletes going to the Olympics. If they let a country send a completely different team, it could more than double the # of skaters for that country.

For some, it might be a good way to get rid of the Olympic ice jitters. For others, it could be a bit tiring (pairs usually kicks off right away doesn't it? and mens later in the first week?). It might be a good idea to change out the pair/mens between SP and FS. What if you've qualified only one in a discipline - maybe you get to send another one as a sub for the team event?

But if you bomb, you get to go into your individual event knowing you let your team down for a medal. I guess the gymnasts/ relay team sports/etc. deal with that already.

carriecmu0503
04-20-2012, 07:59 PM
In Nice Cinquanta held a conference where questions were mainly about the WTT at OG.
For OG, you qualify individually given the results at previous Worlds + the rest of the spots from the B competition in the fall. I don't think it has changed ?

For the WTT, the results from previous competitionS will be taken into account to select the top 10 countries : Worlds, Grand Prix, "and if necessary 4CC, Junior Worlds and Junior Grand Prix, but not the Grand Prix Finals" (I think i missed the mention of Euros).

That selects 10 teams, made up with 1 entry in each discipline.
After the short programs, the top 5 teams will advance to the long programs, with the possibility to change 2 entries (for example lady + dance).
The top three after the LP will get medals (all the skaters of the team that participated will get one, even if they only skate a SP), team 4 and 5 will get "a diploma".

This event will take place on the first 3 days of the Olys, day 1 being the day before the Opening Ceremony.

(lol, should have read the artonice article, it's only a repeat ^^).

Then, the usual individual events will take place.

I guess it will be up to the countries to select the participants to the team event... I don't think it's only the skaters that are qualified for the indivivual events that can take part, since the qualification process is different.
(I may not have been the only one to keep thinking, as it was explaining the procesx, 'sooo, will Joannie be able to skate at OG at the team event if she wants to ?).

Countries MUST select from the skaters who are already qualified for the individual events, otherwise too many more athletes would be added to the Games. The only exception is if a country who qualified for the team event did not have an athlete qualify in a particular discipline for the individual event. For example, if France has a man, lady, and pair team in the individual events, but no dance team qualified, they would still be allowed to have that dance team compete in the team competition. Therefore, if Joannie Rochette wants to compete in the team competition, she would have to qualify to compete for Canada in the ladies' singles event.

Rob
04-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I am not following you at all. Gymnastics doesn't have a special team for the team event a.f.a.i.k. And you often (usually) see the gymnasts doing the same routines in both team and individual segments.

They might do a more safe routine for team, and add tricks for event finals, but the routine is basically the same.

Plus, the team prelim is the qualifier for the other segments - won't work here.

I am happy for a chance for more skaters to win medals (Worlds or Olympic). Might be the only way in the next few years that we'll see a US or Canadian lady, or a Russian man (besides Plush), or a Japanese dance team with a medal round their necks!!!!!

Ziggy
04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Team Event.

The Team Event at the Olympics.

World Team Trophy and Olympics are two different skating competitions.

Jemestone
04-20-2012, 08:54 PM
I have no problem with the Team Event at the Olys if the skaters are the same ones who qualified for the traditional events (singles, pairs or dance).

ITA ;)

Libertango
04-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Are there even 10 countries which have World level skaters in every category? Judging from the results (http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2012) at Worlds this year :

Canada
USA
Russia
France
Italy
Germany
China

GB : had entries in all disciplines but the male skater did not make it out of quali.
Switzerland : had entries but the dance team and male skater did not make it out of Quali.
Japan doesn't have an eligible Pair Team (I checked and T/T seem to be the only pair at nats)
Israel has no lady (what happened to Tamar Katz?) and Dance Team.
Most of the other countries don't have a pair team.

Rob
04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Bulgaria had all disciplines, but no qual.

NMURA
04-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Japan has no problem without a pair team. Nations can participate with entries of three disciplines (probably the JSF had made the deal with the ISU). Therefore countries like CZE and ESP have chances.

Libertango
04-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Japan has no problem without a pair team. Nations can participate with entries of three disciplines (probably the JSF had made the deal with the ISU). Therefore countries like CZE and ESP have chances.

This seems fair after all since there's so few countries with World level skaters in all 4.

barbk
04-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Can countries strategically (ahem...Canada) decide to not include skaters from one of the disciplines? How do the weightings work in that case?

Jemestone
04-20-2012, 11:00 PM
How does a nation compete with only 3 disciplines while most will have 4?? Talk about a disadvantage. And Japan dance team is going to drag them down as much as the Canadian ladies so Canada might as well compete in all 4 disciplines.

manhn
04-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Japan would have a problem if it wants to medal. surely having no score for pairs would hamper those chances.