PDA

View Full Version : WTT at the OLY question

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

carriecmu0503
04-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Am I the only one who really HATES the WTT idea?

I am sure the athletes appreciate the chance to win another medal (or only medal!!) at the Olympics. This event may even be added to the world championships. It gives skaters more opportunities to win medals. I do not see how that can be a bad thing.

pingu
04-20-2012, 02:10 PM

Oh come on, don't be grumpy, it's FUN!!! :D

MarieM
04-20-2012, 02:23 PM

Well I don't dislike the idea, the thing is I don't think it's a good idea to add another competition for athletes who already are worn out after the olys ... But still it can be a nice way to make all countries go and developp all disciplines !

FigureSpins
04-20-2012, 02:26 PM
I didn't think I'd like it, but after watching online, I do think it's a nice way to incorporate team events into figure skating and give additional athletes a chance to be on an Olympic team. I could see each country's team having different skaters for this event than the other four disciplines, so the spectators could see different programs and skaters.

My favorite part is the cheerleader section where the teammates wait and watch with flags and pompons. A little cheesy, perhaps, but I like the team spirit.

The Synchro advocates hate the WTT idea being brought across to the Olympics because they'd rather see Synchro be included instead of this event. I can understand their point, but I don't enjoy synchro as much as I like the other disciplines, singles being my favorite.

rfisher
04-20-2012, 02:32 PM
If they're going to do this, I'd rather they drop the exhibition and use this in it's place and even let the skaters use their exhibition programs.

Andrey aka Pushkin
04-20-2012, 02:54 PM
If they want to add another event for the figure skating, which is a good thing, I think it should be more like what they do in gymnastics: make a special team with special programs and separate competitions.

Figure skating is an individual sport, and putting together rather random people sounds like a really stupid idea. Plus, the chances are it's going to affect the main competition.

barbk
04-20-2012, 02:59 PM
I like this event, but I do think that there are structural issues that are likely to bite Cinquanta and Co. given the very high chance that countries in the top ten may not have an Olympic-eligible entry in each discipline. I understand why the event was not held last year, but with such little experience under the belt they're taking on some risk in pushing it to the Olympics.

I wonder if this is the first time some of these skaters have watched their competitors skate live in an actual competition?

DimaToe
04-20-2012, 03:01 PM
If they want to add another event for the figure skating, which is a good thing, I think it should be more like what they do in gymnastics: make a special team with special programs and separate competitions.

Figure skating is an individual sport, and putting together rather random people sounds like a really stupid idea. Plus, the chances are it's going to affect the main competition.

While I really enjoy the team work and fun environment being put out by some of the countries at WTT, I agree with you, for example, why not a just spinning or just jumping competition, Alissa would be an Oly champion :D

barbk
04-20-2012, 03:02 PM

I am not following you at all. Gymnastics doesn't have a special team for the team event a.f.a.i.k. And you often (usually) see the gymnasts doing the same routines in both team and individual segments.

Personally, I'm glad to see skaters get another chance to compete for a medal.

Theatregirl1122
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
They are at the end and well after the individual events have finished. :)

Yeah, by sort of, I meant that it was after the individual events for those participating in the relays but after all individual events in the athletics program which seems to be true, at least, of the London schedule.

manleywoman
04-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Well I don't dislike the idea, the thing is I don't think it's a good idea to add another competition for athletes who already are worn out after the olys ... But still it can be a nice way to make all countries go and developp all disciplines !

Meh. Skaters used to have to do figures too. Skiiers do multiple events, as do swimmers and many other sports. It's not as though they can't handle a few more run throughs.

allezfred
04-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Yeah, by sort of, I meant that it was after the individual events for those participating in the relays but after all individual events in the athletics program which seems to be true, at least, of the London schedule.

It likes that at every athletics championships. Although the teams do have the option of letting a substitute/substitutes run in the preliminary rounds.

Theatregirl1122
04-20-2012, 03:12 PM
It likes that at every athletics championships. Although the teams do have the option of letting a substitute/substitutes run in the preliminary rounds.

Yeah, the second part is true of swimming as well. Which, I suppose, wouldn't work for figure skating since I get the impression that the IOC wants to add this without adding very many more athletes (which is part of why this has more legs that synchro). I guess they could sub in one of their other qualified skaters, but that might be a little rude.

JamieElena
04-20-2012, 03:27 PM
I am liking the WTT. This seems a nice way to end the season and the prize money put up by/through JSF is great for the sport.

While I really enjoy the team work and fun environment being put out by some of the countries at WTT, I agree with you, for example, why not a just spinning or just jumping competition, Alissa would be an Oly champion :D

I've always thot that since the introduction of IJS that there could be medals awarded for the highest scoring elements. Amanda & Mark would have one then too, :lol:

If they're going to do this, I'd rather they drop the exhibition and use this in it's place and even let the skaters use their exhibition programs.

While watching today I was thinking that more emphasis on artistry and less on tech would make this a better event. And if the event is going to be held before the individual events at the Olympics, all the better to do so, less risk of injury prior to the "real" competition.

The Synchro advocates hate the WTT idea being brought across to the Olympics because they'd rather see Synchro be included instead of this event. I can understand their point, but I don't enjoy synchro as much as I like the other disciplines, singles being my favorite.

I can see their point, especially when Syncho Swimming is an event.

Domshabfan
04-20-2012, 03:58 PM

Your description sounds like Rhythmic Gymnastics Group event rather than Artistic Gymnastics team event.

As for WTT I like the concept of team event but I hate the implementation. WTT looks like something Japanese Federation came up so that they can win it, and ISU happily agreed to the concept. How else could you explain 2 individual skaters in Men's and ladies event and just 1 pair and ice dance team. More like damage control in those event. I think ISU should organise it with the same rules as Olympics team event. I also hate the rules in place for team events at Olympics (that is whole other issue.:mad:).