View Full Version : American Idol 4/18-4/19
04-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Apparently nobody cares anymore.
The show so far:
The theme is "Then and Now." Everyone will do 2 numbers, one from 2000 or later, and one from before 2000.
1. Hollie sang "Rolling In the Deep" by Adele. This song officially needs to die, but she kicked ass on it. The hair, makeup, and outfit made her look a bit old and pageanty, but she's so cute. Pretty good feedback from the judges.
2. Colton sang "Bad Romance" by Gaga. Fair job. Faint praise from the judges compared to past weeks.
3. Elise sang "No One" by Alicia Keys. Strong work. Great dress. Positive judges' feedback.
4. Phillip sang "You Got It Bad" by Usher. One of his strongest performances. Tongue bath, especially from Randy. He's a true artist, blah, blah. I like him, but I don't find him particularly extraordinary or original.
5. Jessica sang "Falling" by Alicia Keys. Good job. Weird dress, but I think I like it. Cute hair. Tongue bath.
6. Skylar sang "Born This Way" by Gaga. Countrified version. I really dig it. Again, showing she can do more than shout and stomp.
7. Joshua with "I Believe" by Fantasia. Great suit. Pretty good job. Doesn't go too over the top. Standing O from judges.
04-19-2012, 02:54 AM
:lol: I was going to post that...
Hollie was the best she's been so far with rolling in the deep.
Colton was a hot mess with Gaga
Jessica was great again
Elise was decent but safe.
Skylar a bit of a mess with Gaga...
I missed the first half of the show (I forgot it was on until my Mom called me), so if anyone can recap the first round of performances (they're all singing twice tonight), that'd be great.
Mom did say that
- Hollie (1st up tonight) sang Rollin' In The Deep and did well,
- Colton did Bad Romance by Lady GaGa (she didn't like it, but then again, she cannot stand Colton),
- Elise did a song she wasn't familiar with (I found out from FORT is was No One by Alicia Keys) and Mom liked it a lot. Also that her dog is really sick :(
- P2 sang You Got It Bad by Usher and was FAB (standing ovation from the Judges)
And then hung up on me to watch Jessica (her absolute favorite) after lecturing me that she's by far the best singer this season by far and that I have it all wrong about her being robotic :rolleyes: :blah: )
- Jessica sang Fallin' by Alicia Keys. According to FORT, Jimmy Iovine said during the fluff that "Jessica doesn't deserve to be in the bottom three if she sings Yankee Doodle Dandy.") :rolleyes:
- Skylar - Country-Fried version of GaGa's Born This Way
- Joshua Fantasia's I Believe. And receives yet ANOTHER Standing O. Shoot me now.
04-19-2012, 03:10 AM
Hollie's up again in a super cute pink dress. The 2nd number must not only be pre-millenium, but will also be from the category of "soul," in a tribute to Soul Train/Don Cornelius.
Hollie doing "Son of a Preacher Man" by Dusty Springfield. Looks more comfortable performing than she ever has before. Jimmy's coaching seems to have actually made a difference.
Judges loved it. She is improving, but I wonder if they got a "talking-to" about how they've been throwing her under the bus every week. Or maybe it was just "tough love" and it actually worked.
ETA: A comedic remake of Dark Shadows?:rolleyes:
And I love that Nike commercial with the couple running. I don't care what anyone says. It's adorable.
04-19-2012, 03:18 AM
Colton doing a soft rock version of "September" by Earth Wind & Fire. Mmmkay. It doesn't suck though. Judges look underwhelmed. Basically telling him it wasn't a great song choice and basically he's not doing enough for this stage in the competition, that he wasn't very exciting and needs to do something different.
04-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Colton was just okay with that. Not great, could be in danger with Hollie tomorrow.
04-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Elise doing "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. Good job but not that exciting. Standing O from much of the crowd. Jennifer thinks she needs to show more emotion. I kind of agree with regard to this performance. It was vocally well done but kind of detached. Steven says she need to take it up a notch. Agree again. She's one of my favorites left in the competition, but she doesn't wow enough to rally the vote. She's better when she rocks out.
04-19-2012, 03:32 AM
Phillip doing "In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett. He's quite spazzy. I really want to like him. He's a doll, but he really doesn't have much of a voice when you get down to it. Judges and crowd loved this performance.
04-19-2012, 03:38 AM
Jennifer shut up already! Elize sucked with Let's Get It On. Was better with Alicia Keys song forgot the title though.
Philip Philips first performance I like so much better than The Midnight Hour..these people can't do no justice with these old faves. Wonder what Jess is gonna sing this time..,,no ballad please..
04-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Jessica doing "Try a Little Tenderness" by Otis Redding. Over the top from the beginning...kinda cute arrangement though. Tongue bath. They like that she's "stepping out." Jen thinks she still needs to up the performance level and the emotion.
04-19-2012, 03:45 AM
Skylar doing "I Heard It Through the Grapevine." A country-rock arrangement. Again, I'm digging it. A bit shouty though. Judges love it.
04-19-2012, 03:53 AM
Joshua with "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke. I think he totally botched the lyrics at one point but I couldn't understand him clearly so I'm not sure. He actually shows some restraint until the very end. Not bad. Judges standing again. Jen actually begs "America" not to send him home.
04-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Tonight was a good night over all.
Hollie- I loved her first and second songs :cheer2: She really stepped up her game tonight, and did a great job. Kudos to those who called it that she would sing first tonight :P
Colton- First song was decent. I kept picturing Adam Lambert doing this song though, and that didn't do him any favors, but I liked that he went for something different. Didn't care for the arrangement of his second song, but he did well enough.
Elise- Sick of Alicia Keys, but she did a good job on the first song. A little flat on some notes though. Second song was good aside from the screechy growl thingys, which I didn't care for. I did like her little snipe back at J.Lo though :rofl:
Philip-First song was great, one of my favorites from him. I'm not sure it was as original or that he's as much of an arteeeeest as the judges make him out to be, but it was a good vocal and an enjoyable performance. Second song was fun! Nice to see him without his crutch, err guitar ;) He's kinda awkward without it, but in a cute way.
Jessica- Great vocal for the first song, but self indulgent song choice as Simon would say :P I disagree with Steven though. Her performances are very "imitation" like. I'd like her to emote more genuinely like she did when she sang "The Prayer". Her second song was much more natural. I like her doing upbeat songs. Didn't really care for her pandering either. "Oh gee I thought they were coming on stage because they didn't like meeeeeee!" UGH. So. Fake. :rolleyes:
Skylar- One of my favorites! I feel like I'm watching an established singer performing, not just a contestant on a singing contest. Both of her songs tonight were :kickass: And I loved her dress for the second song.....I. Must. Have it.
Joshua-First song and second song were both good, but I thought the tongue bath was a bit much. There were a couple of sharp/screechy notes in there, while it was good overall, I really wish the judges would point out his shortcomings instead of the usual over the top praise. He cheats some of his belty notes and it drives me nuts.
04-19-2012, 04:47 AM
1. Hollie - I'm sick of Rolling in the Deep but she sounded great, no deer in the headlight tonight, she looked relaxed & confident. Good job with Son of a Preacher Man, no one can do it like Dusty, but very good. I liked that she changed both songs up a little.
2. Colton - I still hate his hair, now it has a red streak. First song was ok but not great. 2nd was meh.
3. Elise - she came off as desperate, esp the 2nd song. I didn't like the arrangement of the 2nd song either.
4. Phillip - I thought his voice sounded flat in both songs. I like him, I like his stage presence, but the others have fabulous voices & he doesn't.
5. Jessica - she did Fallin' exactly like Alicia Keys & I've heard that exact version of Try a Little Tenderness too many times. She has a great voice but she has NO originality at all. Plus she's too rehearsed.
6. Skylar - I loved Born This Way, it was slightly better than Heard It Thru The Grapevine but both were very good & she's a natural on stage.
7. Joshua - Not too OTT but I still don't enjoy him. He makes such unpleasant faces when he sings & I think he does too much voice gymnastics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.