PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 4/18-4/19

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

taf2002
04-20-2012, 05:21 AM
I think Jimmy was right, when he said that the songs that Jessica has been singing have been too old for her. This might be part of the reason, that it has been difficult for her to connect with the music and audience with her. It took them long enough to realize this. I hope she can sing a song that is more age appropriate. We might see a different Jessica. One can hope, but I think she needs time to grow into it.

If a song is too old that is a good reason for a singer not to connect with it. It still doesn't explain why she has no originality whatsoever.

What makes Skylar and Phillip good, is that they are comfortable in their own skins and know who they are.

That's true of both, but Phillip really doesn't have a very good voice. IMO of course.

birdgal
04-20-2012, 05:33 AM
ITA birdgal. Jessica should have waited a few years to be on the show. But, given how young she is, she should be singing songs more suited to her age. I don't know why it took Jimmy so long to figure that out.

Also agree about Skylar and Phillip knowing who they are and being comfortable with it.

Maybe, they wanted to showcase Jessica's great voice with the choices in songs that were made, but they forgot to consider her age. Regardless, she will have a career ahead of her and she will grow into it.

Elise also knows who she is, which probably makes some of the AI routine difficult for her. Plus, as mentioned previously, the voting demographic isn't connecting with her. She is very talented and experienced, as well.

birdgal
04-20-2012, 05:40 AM
If a song is too old that is a good reason for a singer not to connect with it. It still doesn't explain why she has no originality whatsoever.

That's true of both, but Phillip really doesn't have a very good voice. IMO of course.

I agree with what you said about Jessica, but the song choices haven't helped at all.

Phillip may not have a very good voice in the traditional sense, but he does have stage presence, a lot of energy, and seems to be a talented musician. I would like to hear some of his own songs.

Many successful musicians don't have the best voices. Bob Dylan for one. Does Bruce Springsten have a "good" voice? Maybe, not in the traditional sense, but he has many other qualities that have made him successful. The best voices don't always become commercial successes, because there are so many other things that make someone marketable and attractive to others.

phoenixflamezzz
04-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Don't care about all this age-appropriate song talk; I mean for chrissakes Elise is the only one who's lived long enough to have any real life and love heartbreak experiences. The rest are babies; I don't want them to start singing Disney songs. How was Rolling in the Deep any more appropriate for Hollie? Doesn't matter, she killed it.

Next week is Queen week.

I need to hear Jessica sing Show Must Go On, Hollie sing Who Wants to Live Forever, Joshua sing Somebody to Love, and Elise just rock it out like she did Zeppelin. I think Phillip and Skylar might struggle next week.

If the finale is Jessica and Joshua, I will do what I did last year. Skip it.

And I will do what I haven't since S8...watch it!! :)

birdgal
04-20-2012, 05:51 AM
Jimmy is the one who brought up the songs being too old for Jessica. I don't want to hear them singing Disney, either.:lol:

I would LOVE for Elise to rock out another song like she did with Zeppelin. She is at her best, when she is rocking out. That was one of the best performances so far.

victoriaheidi
04-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Next week is Queen week.

I need to hear Jessica sing Show Must Go On, Hollie sing Who Wants to Live Forever, Joshua sing Somebody to Love, and Elise just rock it out like she did Zeppelin. I think Phillip and Skylar might struggle next week.

Oddly enough, I want to hear Skylar's "Somebody to Love." Or "No One But You."

Elise could do "Bohemian Rhapsody." I wouldn't be shocked if Joshua did that one.

Can Phillip turn "Killer Queen" into a Dave Matthews song? haha

flyingsit
04-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Isn't part of the Idol game picking the right songs for oneself? and Jimmy just admitted that since their pet Jessica has failed at it, he will be taking over that part of the game for her? :rolleyes:

I'm expecting Miley Cyrus week, or else "songs made famous by 16-year-olds."

Meredith
04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
I think Jimmy was right, when he said that the songs that Jessica has been singing have been too old for her. This might be part of the reason, that it has been difficult for her to connect with the music and audience with her. It took them long enough to realize this. I hope she can sing a song that is more age appropriate. We might see a different Jessica. One can hope, but I think she needs time to grow into it.

What makes Skylar and Phillip good, is that they are comfortable in their own skins and know who they are.
A couple of weeks ago, when Joshua was pressed about his connection with the song, he said he was only 19(?) and hadn't experienced what the lyrics of the song suggested. I wish TPTB had listened more closely to him. His observation was spot on and certainly applies to Jessica as well.

I am enjoying this season quite a bit, and have no problem with whoever wins - though I hope it's Phillip. ;)

PrincessLeppard
04-20-2012, 01:55 PM
Next week is Queen week? Sweet! I hope they go out of some of the more "standard" songs. Philip should do "Tie Your Mother Down." It would be cool to hear "Seven Seas of Rhye" as well.

cruisin
04-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Isn't part of the Idol game picking the right songs for oneself? and Jimmy just admitted that since their pet Jessica has failed at it, he will be taking over that part of the game for her? :rolleyes:

I'm expecting Miley Cyrus week, or else "songs made famous by 16-year-olds."

I don't think the really do pick their own songs. I think the list they are given comes with STRONG recommendations from Jimmy/producers. I also think that there have been so many mixed messages on Idol. One contestant is told not to stray too far from the original, keep the melody. another is told, they need to make it their own. Then they make it their own and get hammered for it. I think Jessica is singing the songs the way she is being coached to sing them. I think the Idol powers know what kind of singer they want her to be. The problem is that they, now, are worried that the audience may not be seeing their game plan and supporting it. I'm not sure why Jessica seems to irritate so many people. I think she comes across as sweet, a bit nervous (when she's not singing), and she's mega-talented. With the right guidance, I think she could really hit it.

I like Elise too. But, I think everyone is right, the demographic is wrong. And when she really shines, as in the Zeppelin song, a lot of the tween voters don't know classic rock (or what's great music). These are the Justin Beiber fans voting :lol:.

skatesindreams
04-20-2012, 03:13 PM
I agree with what you said about Jessica, but the song choices haven't helped at all.

Phillip may not have a very good voice in the traditional sense, but he does have stage presence, a lot of energy, and seems to be a talented musician. I would like to hear some of his own songs.

Many successful musicians don't have the best voices. Bob Dylan for one. Does Bruce Springsten have a "good" voice? Maybe, not in the traditional sense, but he has many other qualities that have made him successful. The best voices don't always become commercial successes, because there are so many other things that make someone marketable and attractive to others.

You spoke for me, birdgal.

Phillip doesn't have the best voice.
However, he makes the best of the ability he has. As you said, many of the most successful performers fit into that category.
The "pro musicians" on Idol respect/treat him as "one of them".
Most importantly. he has stood up to AI's attempts to turn him into a "teen idol"; and continues to be true to himself in the material he chooses - and how he approaches/sings it.

Very rare on AI.

birdgal
04-20-2012, 03:49 PM
You spoke for me, birdgal.

Phillip doesn't have the best voice.
However, he makes the best of the ability he has. As you said, many of the most successful performers fit into that category.
The "pro musicians" on Idol respect/treat him as "one of them".
Most importantly. he has stood up to AI's attempts to turn him into a "teen idol"; and continues to be true to himself in the material he chooses - and how he approaches/sings it.

Very rare on AI.

You also spoke for me. I think that is why I like him so much. I was drawn to him at his audition in Georgia, when he sang Superstition. He doesn't fit the cookie cutter mold.

phoenixflamezzz
04-20-2012, 05:38 PM
You also spoke for me. I think that is why I like him so much. I was drawn to him at his audition in Georgia, when he sang Superstition. He doesn't fit the cookie cutter mold.

These eerily sound like the explanations given by Lee DeWyze fans during S9, when they kept voting for him despite his off-key singing each week. :scream:

Also, that Paul guy from last season. Thank god he was eliminated fairly early though.

And Taylor Hicks.

Anyway, Idol contestants should know the name of the game by now. This is a cheesefest; it's glorified karaoke. Acting like you're above it all makes no sense.

PrincessLeppard
04-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Kris Allen didn't have the strongest voice, but he had charisma and charm, and the Adam/Kris final made me ridiculously happy. If only we'd had a Kris/Adam/Allison final three. Sigh.

Lee had zero charisma. I still can't figure that one out.

phoenixflamezzz
04-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Yeah poor guy. Seems like a nice enough dude, and he's probably now more forgotten than Taylor.

P2 probably won't be as forgotten if and when he wins since he's "cuter," but he'll land in somewhere between Ruben and Kris since I can't see P2 getting played on any radio format (maybe AAA? Or Interscope is going to make him record some lite rock DMB-type songs for Hot Adult Contemporary). Ruben still gets some play on Urban at least, and Kris is just more pop-friendly.