PDA

View Full Version : Article about the 1st woman from the United Arab Emirates to compete internationally

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

modern_muslimah
04-18-2012, 11:39 PM
I don't know--even KSA has female athletes competing internationally in pants and hijab.

And Iran too. I don't think she's going to get any flack from most Muslims. Maybe some extremely conservative Muslims in the minority but that'll probably be it.

:respec: to her btw! I think this is great. I really hope it'll encourage other hijabis to enter the sport.

IceAlisa
04-18-2012, 11:55 PM
The second picture where her outfit is grey, black and blue, it's very tight and revealing. Hope she will not get in trouble with the hardliners. Figure skating does attract the eyes to the body line like few other sports do.

Ziggy
04-19-2012, 01:09 AM
I know doing things yourself and teaching them are two very different things but I can't help but remember that Tunde Gal never managed to even land a 2axel in competition when she was competing IIRC. :P

A judge
04-19-2012, 01:12 AM
I know doing things yourself and teaching them are two very different things but I can't help but remember that Tunde Gal never managed to even land a 2axel in competition when she was competing IIRC. :P

and Krall never landed any quads either. lol

Ozzisk8tr
04-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Good on her. We've had skaters from Iran competing at the World Roller Championships since about 2008 (I think). They also wear the hijab. They were so welcomed by the audience and other skaters it was really wonderful to see. By the end of the week these quiet very shy young girls were getting their photos taken with World Champions and were just beaming with joy. Coaches from all over the world were also introducing themselves to the Iranian coaches and giving them tips and advice. It was one of the mot memorable experiences from that week.

Nadya
04-19-2012, 02:23 AM
I don't know--even KSA has female athletes competing internationally in pants and hijab.
The government of Saudi Arabia does not endorse any of its citizen female athletes entering or performing in international athletic competitions as a matter of policy. Any Saudi national women competing are doing it on their own initiative and volition.

Nadya
04-19-2012, 02:24 AM
Hit send too soon - you must be thinking of other Gulf countries like Bahrain or UAE. Not KSA.

agalisgv
04-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Hit send too soon - you must be thinking of other Gulf countries like Bahrain or UAE. Not KSA. No, KSA. There's at least one Saudi woman vying for an Olympic berth this summer in equestrian, and then there's the female soccer/football team that competes internationally IIRC. There may be others, but those are the ones that I recall from KSA.

Nadya
04-19-2012, 02:44 AM
No, KSA. There's at least one Saudi woman vying for an Olympic berth this summer in equestrian, and then there's the female soccer/football team that competes internationally IIRC. There may be others, but those are the ones that I recall from KSA.
Dalma Malhas is the Saudi equestrian athlete who competed in the Youth Olympics outside of the official Saudi delegation. Again, KSA does not sponsor or endorse female participation in international sporting events. Any Saudi female athletes competing internationally do so representing themselves. See here http://www.emirates247.com/sports/other/saudi-not-sending-women-to-olympics-report-2012-04-05-1.452488

Dalma lives in Italy and has probably not stepped foot in KSA for quite some time.

Have never heard of an internationally competitive female soccer team - do you have a link you can share?

Nadya
04-19-2012, 02:52 AM
Steps of the Devil: Denial of Women and Girl's Rights to Practice Sports in KSA (http://www.hrw.org/sites/default/files/reports/saudi0212webwcover.pdf)

modern_muslimah
04-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Getting this thread back on track, I'm happy for Lari. She's a pioneer and shows that hijab does not have to be an impediment to participating in figure skating. Plus, this is also great for figure skating in that region. Hopefully, there will be other girls and women who follow in her footsteps.

SmallFairy
04-19-2012, 05:16 PM
I remember Vanessa Giunchi covered her hair almost completely with some really large hairband/headband/shaul/scarf, skating her beautiful Schindler's list program back in 2001. The hijab shouldn't be a problem at all. Way to go girl, I'm very happy for her:):)

JanetB
04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Getting this thread back on track, I'm happy for Lari. She's a pioneer and shows that hijab does not have to be an impediment to participating in figure skating. Plus, this is also great for figure skating in that region. Hopefully, there will be other girls and women who follow in her footsteps.

Does a hijab have to be black?

skatingfan5
04-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Does a hijab have to be black?I don't think so ... at least they certainly are not all black around here (in central Illinois).

Orable
04-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Does a hijab have to be black?
In fact, most are not :) Google "colorful hijab" and check it out. :glamor: