PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Marco
09-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Well, at least we won't have to watch her at Europeans and Worlds this season. (hopefully) :shuffle:

With Sotnikova, Tuk, Leonova and the two Polinas age eligible for Euros and Worlds this season I will be very very very surprised to see Makarova make it to those comps. My bet is she wouldn't be given PCS in the same league at Nationals so as to ensure she doesn't "accidentally" make it (kind of like what happened to Flatt).

With Lipnitskaya and Radionova joining the pack, I would already consider Makarova making top 6 at Nationals a major accomplishment.

love_skate2011
09-07-2012, 10:05 AM
- elena dislocated her shoulder, hurts, still not able to skate without pills and painstoppers, but she works (off the ice), as hard as she can, next season determine season.
Noooooooo......

I hope she gets in good shape soon, reminds me of Yuko's :wuzrobbed
I think they are feeling the pressure from their Feds with now being considered as Russia's No. 1 after Bobrova/Soloviev got dumped at Worlds. they will have stiff competition with Riazanova/Tkachenko and Sinitsina/Zhiiganshin.
This 3 will be Russia's Top contenders.

morqet
09-07-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/4988.html

And an interview with Morozov:

- He wants I/K to make the GPF and to be fighting for first place at Europeans.
- Feels they have a much more professional attitude to their training & have grown up a lot over the summer.
- Takahashi has now joined the group in Novogorsk, Morozov says this is good for motivating the rest of the group.
- Talks again about Miki, says he refused to take her on again because he didn't see what more he could do with her & didn't want to train someone who could be in direct competition with the Russian women. But he thinks Miki has enough knowlege of the sport now to do well whoever her coach is.

DaiKozOda
09-07-2012, 06:02 PM
So Morozov said he doesn't want to work with Miki anymore cause she might be a direct competitor to the russian ladies but he picks Takahashi who can get in the way of Plushenko in Sochi. Interesting..

kwanfan1818
09-07-2012, 06:07 PM
In a different interview, I think he was trying to say that if Plushenko is strong, things will take care of themselves, but if he's not, he won't be a contender anyway this time.

rfisher
09-07-2012, 07:28 PM
In a different interview, I think he was trying to say that if Plushenko is strong, things will take care of themselves, but if he's not, he won't be a contender anyway this time.

Yes. He said Plushenko's only competition was himself. He'd either win or be in 7th-9th place based on how he skated. Although, there are unsaid issues regarding Miki, she would indeed be competition with the Russian ladies, especially one of his own skaters. That being said, I suspect the unsaid issues are the more important in this regard.

hanca
09-07-2012, 08:42 PM
With Sotnikova, Tuk, Leonova and the two Polinas age eligible for Euros and Worlds this season I will be very very very surprised to see Makarova make it to those comps. My bet is she wouldn't be given PCS in the same league at Nationals so as to ensure she doesn't "accidentally" make it (kind of like what happened to Flatt).

With Lipnitskaya and Radionova joining the pack, I would already consider Makarova making top 6 at Nationals a major accomplishment.

I know, but last year Makarova did not deserve to be 4th at the nationals and she was seriously gifted on PCS. She should have been about 6-7th. If she is gifted again, they can place her anywhere they want to (as long as she helps them at least a little bit). On the other hand, at least they don't have reason this year to give her a Christmas present because they have better choice of skaters who are age eligible.

love_skate2011
09-07-2012, 09:17 PM
I know, but last year Makarova did not deserve to be 4th at the nationals and she was seriously gifted on PCS. She should have been about 6-7th. If she is gifted again, they can place her anywhere they want to (as long as she helps them at least a little bit). On the other hand, at least they don't have reason this year to give her a Christmas present because they have better choice of skaters who are age eligible.

she won't :shuffle:
that's why she has to make the most out of her 2 GP assignments
she will have stiffer competition at Nationals with Leonova, Tukt, Julia, Sotnikova, The Polinas, Radionova, Medvedeva and Sakhanovich

hanca
09-07-2012, 09:43 PM
she won't :shuffle:
that's why she has to make the most out of her 2 GP assignments
she will have stiffer competition at Nationals with Leonova, Tukt, Julia, Sotnikova, The Polinas, Medvedeva and Sakhanovich

The results of Julia, Medvedeva and Sakhanovich won't matter at the nationals, because they can't be send to Europeans and Worlds. It is the results of Leonova, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and both Polinas that will matter for selecting who they will send.

love_skate2011
09-07-2012, 09:49 PM
The results of Julia, Medvedeva and Sakhanovich won't matter at the nationals, because they can't be send to Europeans and Worlds. It is the results of Leonova, Sotnikova, Tuktamysheva and both Polinas that will matter for selecting who they will send.

*inserts Radionova

what I mean is that, Makarova wont be gifted with PCS because even non eligible seniors like Radionova or Medvedeva can outscore her.

Domshabfan
09-07-2012, 10:30 PM
*inserts Radionova

what I mean is that, Makarova wont be gifted with PCS because even non eligible seniors like Radionova or Medvedeva can outscore her.

Even at the start of last year we talked about how Ksenia won't be factor because Polinas were age eligible etc, and Russia wont need her etc. However, at the end Russia had to use her, and also her score did count towards ensuring 3 spots for Russia for this year. Remember Polina Korbeynikova royally bombed the worlds :(... Polina Agafanova is shadow of what she was, Polina Shelepen has real problem with nerves. So Polinas may not be a factor at all.

Liza, Adelina and Elena will be really strong and hard to beat, in my opinion. This is based only on what they did last season alone. I would like to see how Liza and Adelina perform this year before fully putting them as favorites since it feels like a long time since i have seen them skate (partly because they are going to skate as seniors in championships and need to position themselves well in the eyes of international judges). A decent skate from should be enough for them to make the team. However tehy can struggle. As for Ksenia, i am not a fan but she did help Russia many times to keep the 3 spots. She is a strong SP skater and scores well. So, going into FP she usually positions herself well. Her performances usually are bad in FP but her skate order along with few landed jumps ensures she gets a good PCS (ladies competition can be bit of a splashfest as we, so other too ensures her position). Hence she does not sink too far. Unlike thes likes of Polina K and Shelepen, who usually does a disastrous SP. Their scores are bad in SP and they usually get bad skate order. They then have a mountain to climb after that, partly because of their lack of reputation.

If I was Russian Fed, I will not score Makarova too badly and wait and see how things plan out with the likes of Liza and Adelina. It won't be the first time that a very promising junior has failed to deliver. Saying all these i hope, I sincerely hope Ksenia Makarova will not make Russia team. hopefully this is because she lost to a group of ladies who delivered at the nationals.

caseyedwards
09-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Liza, Adelina, will be on the GP just as Makarova will be and if Liza and Adelina still have their jumping ability and Liza wins a GP again or Adelina wins a GP and Ksenia performed in GPS like she did last season than the PCS at Russian nationals would reflect that. Russia has not been shy about giving wins and PCS to ineligible people for Euros and Worlds and even senior GP events.

martyross
09-08-2012, 04:12 PM
If I was Russian Fed, I will not score Makarova too badly and wait and see how things plan out with the likes of Liza and Adelina. It won't be the first time that a very promising junior has failed to deliver. Saying all these i hope, I sincerely hope Ksenia Makarova will not make Russia team. hopefully this is because she lost to a group of ladies who delivered at the nationals.

why Makarova's always talked with such cynicism? she's being treated like the Cinderella of Russian team; regardless of the quality of her skating, in the past people discussed about her career as though it was merely functional to the benefit of Russia (i.e. she must/must not sent to Worlds to gain the 3 spots). can't people see her just as a competitor like all the others, yea just like all the "amazing super babies who has a shot to the Sochi podium"? Ksenia's skating is enjoyable and interesting for many, she's not a puppet that can be threw up or down basing on how the others do at Nationals and the needs of the Federation.

Cherub721
09-08-2012, 04:34 PM
why Makarova's always talked with such cynicism? she's being treated like the Cinderella of Russian team; regardless of the quality of her skating, in the past people discussed about her career as though it was merely functional to the benefit of Russia (i.e. she must/must not sent to Worlds to gain the 3 spots). can't people see her just as a competitor like all the others, yea just like all the "amazing super babies who has a shot to the Sochi podium"? Ksenia's skating is enjoyable and interesting for many, she's not a puppet that can be threw up or down basing on how the others do at Nationals and the needs of the Federation.

ITA! I really enjoy her skating. She's more polished than some of the other Russian girls. If she could get her jumps back to where they were a couple of years ago plus the 3lutz, she would be right there in the league of Leonova/Suzuki/Wagner.

Marco
09-08-2012, 05:16 PM
ITA! I really enjoy her skating. She's more polished than some of the other Russian girls. If she could get her jumps back to where they were a couple of years ago plus the 3lutz, she would be right there in the league of Leonova/Suzuki/Wagner.

That is a huge IF. After the Olympic season she really lost her jumps - both consistency and quality / rotation. She hasn't had one solid competition in 2 full seasons. I don't believe there is one easily fixable solution to her jumping problems which should be both physical and mental at this point.

And even IF she got her jumps back, she wouldn't be right there with the others you mentioned. Maybe Leonova, skating wise. But then she is now a world medalist and has more political clout than ever. Same for Wagner and Suzuki, but these two can actually skate and deserve higher PCS. Let's face it - Makarova isn't that good a skater to begin with (and neither is Leonova). ANd she hasn't accumulated much reputational points in a while.

She almost lost the 3rd spot for the Russian ladies (if not for those ridiculous PCS she and Leonova received, she would have). I don't believe the Russian Fed has that much political power to cover anyone beyond Sotnikova, Tuk, Lipnitskaya and Leonova. I wanna bet the Polinas are ahead of her too.

Remember when Leonova and Makarova were labeled the bridge between Slutskaya and the wonder babies and would be thrown into the dust once the wonder babies become age eligible? Well, Leonova has proven why she can still be kept in the field. Not Makarova.