PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Ziggy
05-20-2012, 11:17 PM
I totally agree with Zhulin.

B/S have great basics but their style was just beyond :yawn: and - with few exceptions - all their programs looked the same.

Can't wait to see their new routines.

And I'll take Navka/Kostomarov's smooth, flowing crossovers and "Pink Panther" voids over 99% of ice dance teams.

I used to have quite high opinion about Pavlova based on the work she has done with both Illushetchkina and Martiusheva, but I have to say that I have lost this high opinion because of the interview after Lubov and Nodari split.

This.

I used to consider Pavlova to be the best Russian pairs coach but after all of this came to light...

Macassar88
05-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Zhulin also said that he will work with them on the technical aspects. He is well aware of them loosing levels. I liked Bobrova/Soloviev's "Melody of the White Nights" free dance but overall I felt they were always doing the same kind of program more or less. What Zhulin plans now is quite different. It looked very promising.

Yeah I really liked that program but I wish that it had a little more variation.

nuge
05-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Wait till Zhulin whips out that sexy Navka headband :P

Maybe an exciting Enigma or Sade FD like he did with Pasha :eek:

Sylvia
05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Re-posting from the Grand Prix Assignments thread:

Russia Pairs
Two: Volosozhar/Trankov(US/Russia), Kavaguti/Smirnov(China/France), Stolbova/Klimov(China/France), Bazarova/Larionov(Russia/Japan)
One: Gerboldt/Enbert(Canada), TBA(Russia)

Dance Russia
Two: Bobrova/Soloviev (USA/China), Riazanova/Tkachenko(Canada/France), Sinitsina/Zhiganshin(China/Russia), Ilinykh/Katsalapov(Russia/Japan)
One: Pushkash/Guerreiro(France), Monko/Khaliavin(Russia)

Ladies Russia
Two: Leonova (US/Russia), Sotnikova(US/Russia), Makarova(Canada/Japan), Tuktamysheva(Canada/France), Lipnitskaia(China/France)
One: Shelepen(Japan), Biryukova(Japan), Korobeynikova(France), TBA(Russia)
Men
Two: Gachinski (Canada/Russia)
One: Voronov (Japan), Menshov (US), Dmitriev (China), Bush (Russia), TBA (Russia)

AKISIN
05-22-2012, 05:40 AM
Does anyone know what Hoffman/Zavozin's status is?
Do they continue skating in Moscow?

kwanfan1818
05-22-2012, 06:09 AM
H/Z split last season before their scheduled GP. He was coaching. I believe she's back in Hungary.

sbanet
05-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Does anyone know what Hoffman/Zavozin's status is?
Do they continue skating in Moscow?

From a couple of articles in the Hungarian sports press about this during mid March, don't have time to translate at the moment, so here's a short news synopsis from those:

First article from 2012.03.09 re: Hungarian Skating Federation
http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/teli/20120309-kosa-lajos-a-hoffmann-nora-makszim-zavozin-jegtancparos-es-a.html

Federation contacted Nóra to discuss what sort of budget she would need per year to continue with a partner. (Namely a substantial chunk of the funds allocated to the entire skating federation - including junior skaters, speed skaters, etc.) Article goes on state how stretched the federation is, and how :eek: expensive ice time is these days in Hungary. (Apparently a lot more than it is in Sweden, fwiw...)

Second article, dated 2012.03.19 is a rather gossipy piece from Sport Géza with a bit of :drama: divatude from Nóra and some nice pictures. :cool: (Goggle translate at your own peril :P)
http://sportgeza.hu/sport/telisport/2012/03/19/ne_hulyitsuk_egymast/
Nóra contacted the Federation to thank them, and to officially notify the end of her ice-dance partnership with Maksim. There still might be possibility for Nóra to team up with another partner for Sochi and 2014 Euros in Bp, but only if she can find someone who has the potential to bring good results - she's not going to skate just for the hell of it.

At that time, Nóra was still in Moscow, working at the same skating/snow-sports complex where Maks has been coaching kids. The salary potential/opportunities are better in Moscow, however, she would consider returning to Hungary if there is a good situation for her there.

(Hope that works for you all...) :)

love_skate2011
05-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Bad luck draw for Sinitsina/Zhiganhsin :(
I hope I don't jinx it

Macassar88
05-22-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm kind of worried about Bobrova and Soloviev during the gp season. They face off against weaver poje both times while facing off against Davis and white at skate America and Pechalat Bourzat and Sinitsina Zhiganshin at cup of china. So even with significant improvements they may not even reach the grand prix final. It's a pity because some of the other events namely TEB and skate America have much easier fields to get a second place finish.

aliona22
05-22-2012, 08:20 PM
And I'll take Navka/Kostomarov's smooth, flowing crossovers and "Pink Panther" voids over 99% of ice dance teams.

:inavoid:

Wait till Zhulin whips out that sexy Navka headband :P

:swoon:

i can't wait.

love_skate2011
05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm kind of worried about Bobrova and Soloviev during the gp season. They face off against weaver poje both times while facing off against Davis and white at skate America and Pechalat Bourzat and Sinitsina Zhiganshin at cup of china. So even with significant improvements they may not even reach the grand prix final. It's a pity because some of the other events namely TEB and skate America have much easier fields to get a second place finish.

I think its a double edge sword switching to Zhulin
either they'll really get noticed or be buried in the competitions and have a splatfest working on their terminal techniques. I'll go with the latter. :scream:

Macassar88
05-22-2012, 09:01 PM
I guess the good sign is that, even with their shitacular programs from last season, they were still getting huge program components. With level fours instead of leek twos they probably would have been in the mix for a medal. So even small improvements should give them a chance to move up the skating totem pole.
Also, if they can show a dramatic style change (no pun intended) they may get even higher scores for doing something different. I thought that a bunch of the small changes that virtue and Moir made last season detracted from their programs and were clearly just for points, but they got rewarded for it. Maybe the same thing can happen for BS
my main hope for their programs though is that they show off the pair's great lines
I always thought that katia's donut and skate to head layback were exquisite.

nuge
05-22-2012, 09:22 PM
[QUOTE=Macassar88;3575669]my main hope for their programs though is that they show off the pair's great lines

Oh yes they have lovely lines :)They are a lovely looking couple on the ice .I'm really rooting for them and I hope they work hard and it pays off .They could have lots of new fans if it all works out:D

DORISPULASKI
05-22-2012, 09:29 PM

? Do you mean Skate Canada in the last sentence, because B&S are already going to Skate America, where it will be easy to finish third, but hard to earn 2nd or 1st. And TEB has the same lineup at the top as Skate Canada.

Skate America - D&W, W&P, B&S
Skate Canada-V&M, C&L, and Gilles & Poirier, R&T-it's a shallow field
Cup of China-P&B, W&P, B&S
Cup of Russia-V&M, I&K, S&S
TEB-P&B, C&L, Gilles & Poirier, R&T again
NHK-D&W, I&K, S&S

Macassar88
05-22-2012, 09:38 PM
? Do you mean Skate Canada in the last sentence, because B&S are already going to Skate America, where it will be easy to finish third, but hard to earn 2nd or 1st. And TEB has the same lineup at the top as Skate Canada.

Skate America - D&W, W&P, B&S
Skate Canada-V&M, C&L, and Gilles & Poirier, R&T-it's a shallow field
Cup of China-P&B, W&P, B&S
Cup of Russia-V&M, I&K, S&S
TEB-P&B, C&L, Gilles & Poirier, R&T again
NHK-D&W, I&K, S&S

Yeah I meant Skate Canada.
Basically, the two GP's that have Gilles and Poirier as well as Riazanova and Tkachenko.
The ones with the Shibs and Ilinykh and Katsalapov are probably the second tier and the two that they're in are the top tier.
It should make for some good rivalries though. The COC podium could easily be the 3 4 and 5 place at Worlds this season.