PDA

View Full Version : Two new interesting Stephane Lambiel interviews

lauravvv
04-18-2012, 02:35 AM
Two new Stephane Lambiel interviews by Reut Golinsky and Ia Remmel - both are fans, so the interviews are really interesting (for those who are interested in Lambiel, his skating and programs, as well as his thoughts about skating, of course :)):

http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2012lambiel (mostly about past, but some interesting answers, about the current judging system, about the "Little Prince"......)

http://beautyonice.wordpress.com/stephane-lambiel-i-just-want-people-to-know-about-skating-and-to-know-about-this-beautiful-sport/ (about shows, about the new programs and the ideas behind them, about music, fans, audiences, and about the last Worlds)

manleywoman
04-18-2012, 03:27 AM
The Absolute Skating one is awesome, thank you!

Don't have time to read the other right now, but will get to it.

i looooove Lambiel!

kittyjake5
04-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Thank you! Great interviews!

shine
04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
I love that he's doing more classical numbers these days. I always wished he'd skate to more classical music when he was still competing. But it seems like it was only toward the end of his eligible career that he started to appreciate it more. And he does them so beautifully. Too bad he didn't do one until his last eligible season with La Traviata. Very excited about the Tschaikovsky!

reut
04-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Thank you for PR, lauravvv. :) I do hope it's interesting not (only) because I'm Stéphane's fan. ;)

(mostly about past, but some interesting answers, about the current judging system, about the "Little Prince"......)

My favourite part is about spins. I wasn't surprised to hear that he is tired when people notice only his spins, but I think he never mentioned that before in his interviews. To tell the truth I hate when they call him King of Spins, there is so much more in his skating than only spins...

shine, he also had "Four seasons". :)
I'm not sorry about him using less classical music, I feel that it's a bit overused in skating (maybe because only in ice dance they can use lyrics?). And also I really loved his "Spanish" programs. Yes, he had quite a lot, but every next one was better than the previous, the more mature he became.

And, by the way, I'd really recommend to watch the program mentioned in Ia's interview if some of you still didn't have a chance to see it:

My Body Is A Cage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXK9qvj2QNY)

Looking forward to see the renewed version of it. And of course looking forward to see Tchaikovsky. I wait for it... since last summer! :D

Bournekraatzfan
04-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Two new Stephane Lambiel interviews by Reut Golinsky and Ia Remmel - both are fans, so the interviews are really interesting (for those who are interested in Lambiel, his skating and programs, as well as his thoughts about skating, of course :)):

http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2012lambiel (mostly about past, but some interesting answers, about the current judging system, about the "Little Prince"......)

http://beautyonice.wordpress.com/stephane-lambiel-i-just-want-people-to-know-about-skating-and-to-know-about-this-beautiful-sport/ (about shows, about the new programs and the ideas behind them, about music, fans, audiences, and about the last Worlds)

Thanks, lauravvv! I especially like the first article. I love Stephane and miss seeing him in competition, but I am happy he is doing so well and still enjoying skating. I look forward to seeing his new programs.

shine
04-18-2012, 07:25 PM
shine, he also had "Four seasons". :)
I'm not sorry about him using less classical music, I feel that it's a bit overused in skating (maybe because only in ice dance they can use lyrics?). And also I really loved his "Spanish" programs. Yes, he had quite a lot, but every next one was better than the previous, the more mature he became.

And, by the way, I'd really recommend to watch the program mentioned in Ia's interview if some of you still didn't have a chance to see it:

You are right, how could I have forgotten Four Seasons?? :lol: Perhaps I never really thought of it as purely classical :) It's true that classical music is used a lot in skating, but I don't think many do it with the authenticity that Stephane has shown us that he is capable of (Traviata and Rachmaninov convinced me of that). Besides, classical music is really just one generic term for music in the past. There are so many different genres in classical music that can be explored, like what Kostner has been doing lately.
Like you, I have loved all his Spanish themed programs (even the Gotan Project SP he did in 2002), and I particularly loved Otono Porteno, probably because he has reached artistic maturity by then. And My Body is a Cage is absolutely breathtaking. He bares his soul and skates the program with such thorough committment to movement and choreography that is rarely ever seen in skating. What he is bringing to skating nowadays is pure treasure.

kwanfan1818
04-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Many thanks, lauravvv!

:cheer2: Reut :cheer2:

I love this:

But don't you feel nostalgic sometimes? When you received your Crystal Ice Award in Luzhniki a few years ago, you said: "I remember being here getting my first World title".

Yes, but not nostalgic. I remember the feeling, there's this kind of deja vu when you enter a place and know the sense, the smell, and you say: "Ah, this smell reminds me of something". And I enjoy it, I'm happy to be back. But I'm not thinking: "I'm here, I wish I could go back five years to when I was here last". That's a different feeling, more like: "Wow, this smell makes me happy because I have great memories from here".

This reminds me of a documentary on the ballerina Suzanne Farrell, who danced in Brussels for Maurice Bejart in the late 60's and early 70's after her break with George Balanchine in 1968. The doc films her as she returns to Brussels to visit Bejart, and she talks about "the smell of Brussels".

Also the madeleine in Swann's Way, but that was taste.

Katarzyna
04-21-2012, 11:36 PM
lauravvv - thank you so much for the links to the interviews. :)

Love both of them, in particular the one for absolute skating as it is a really long one and thus going into much depth. I miss Stephane. :(

Reut - thank you for the link to his exhibition programme. WOW! It's wonderful, just wish I had a chance to watch this one live. :inavoid:

smileyskate
04-22-2012, 03:47 AM
Yes, thanks for the articles. In the first one, he speaks about being tonic, and having tonic energy. Can someone clarify what he means? Thank you.

reut
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
In the first one, he speaks about being tonic, and having tonic energy. Can someone clarify what he means?

I think he talks about muscle tone which gets lower with the age. I don't know much about it so I just had to rely on what he said. I'm not totally convinced in what he said though, especially about the age. With him it was probably so, his peak of physical ability was around 2004-2006, but isn't it more individual? If someone has more knowledge on this subject it will be interesting to read.

It's true that classical music is used a lot in skating, but I don't think many do it with the authenticity that Stephane has shown us that he is capable of.

Agree. On the other hand he proved that he can skate with the authenticity, translate to motion and "sing with body" almost any music, not only and not especially classical. Even, LOL, Dima Bilan (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8tjSjdJ0EU).

This reminds me of a documentary on the ballerina Suzanne Farrell, who danced in Brussels for Maurice Bejart in the late 60's and early 70's after her break with George Balanchine in 1968. The doc films her as she returns to Brussels to visit Bejart, and she talks about "the smell of Brussels".
Also the madeleine in Swann's Way, but that was taste.

Yes, me too, I know this feeling of "smell that brings me back to time and place". I think he is a very happy person that with this feeling he doesn't get nostalgic, I think this is very lucky quality to be able to live in the present and not to cherish the past, which in his case had lots of glorious moments he could want to go back to.

And thank you everybody for your feedback! I appreciate it.

vivika1982
04-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Thank you for the interviews lauravvv :) and reut.
I enjoyed reading them and the positive optimistic vibe :)
I liked especially the part when he was talking about the rules and the fans who liked his spins and that he is much more than a spin:

I'm still excited, but I think there are many things that can be improved. I agree with what I said, it's great that you can see the protocols and all the elements skaters have done; you can get an impression of if it was good or bad. But I still think that the judges need to be more consistent with the components, right now they try to follow the "corridor" (in grades) and they are afraid to go beyond it. That's possibly something that has to change. The other thing is the freedom in the spins and the footwork, because right now the rules are so strict that if you want to get the high levels you need to do exactly the same as the other skaters. When you watch ice dance they will have almost the same beginning of the footwork, because they have to do those deep edges with difficult turns; the twizzles. On the other hand I think it's interesting because the fantastic champions still, even with all those rules, find new things and bring more than just the elements. That's why I love Tessa and Scott (Virtue/Moir), because when you watch them you don't see the rules, you see the story, the emotion.