PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Zemgirl
04-19-2012, 06:37 AM
There are no restrictions for the host picks, at least in the announcement. Several times in the past decade, there have been fields at NHK that didn't reflect the "one from 1-3, one from 4-6, etc." selection process. I think Japan can pick both Takahashi and Hanyu for NHK; if neither Chan nor Takahashi nor Hanyu chooses to do three events, another event would likely get two from the 4-6 (Joubert, Amodio, Brezina).
I don't think this is true, and I can't recall it happening, at least not in the recent past - if there were no 1-3 or 4-6 skaters at an event, it was likely because of retirements/injuries, but the original assignment would have included one seeded skater from each group. E.g. for NHK - 2007 you had Takahashi from the previous Worlds' medalists and Verner from 4-6 guys; 2008 had Johnny Weir (3), Takahashi (4) would have been the other seeded skater but tore his ACL; 2009 had Joubert from the 1-3 group and Kozuka as the 4-6 skater, 2010, Takahashi and Abbott; 2011 was an easy selection, because one group had Kozuka and the other included Takahashi.

Now that the seeded skaters can get three events, it is possible to have more than two seeded skaters, but I believe every event is still supposed to have at least one medalist and one 4-6 finisher.

kwanfan1818
04-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I wished they would be explicit in their own documentation, but that is too much to hope for. NHK has had exceptions, but never to have two 1-3 or two 4-6 skaters from Japan.

From 2003-2011, there were two skaters/teams in either the 1-3 or 4-6 groups from a single country -- all of them host countries -- but none were assigned to the host event the following GP season:

2003:
Ladies: Cohen and S. Hughes (4-6)
Pairs: Totmianina/Marinin and Petrova/Tikhonov (1-3); Pang/Tong and Zhang/Zhang (4-6)

2004:
Men: Weiss and Weir (4-6)
Ladies: Cohen and Kwan (1-3)
Pairs: Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong (1-3)

2005:
Pairs: Totmianina/Marinin and Petrova/Tikhonov (1-3)

2006:
Men: Sandhu and Buttle (4-6)
Ladies: Meissner and Cohen (1-3)
Pairs: Pang/Tong and Zhang/Zhang (1-3)

2007:
Ladies: Ando and Asada (1-3)
Pairs: Shen/Zhao and Pang/Tong (1-3)

2008:
Dance: Belbin/Agosto and Davis/White (4-6)

2009:
None

2010:
Men: Abbott and Rippon (4-6)

2011:
Men: Takahashi and Oda (4-6)
Pairs: Kavaguti/Smirnov and Bazarova/Larianov (4-6)
Dance: Davis/White and Shibutani/Shibutani (1-3)

2012:
Men: Takahashi and Hanyu (1-3); Joubert and Amodio (4-6)

In the case of retirements, last season's announcement said if there are fewer than six seeds, they would not be replaced. If there are vacancies for 7-12, they look for skaters/teams with SB better than the lowest SB among the 7-12 skaters/teams, and slot them in, and if there aren't any, they go to #13 at Worlds. That's a change from two seasons ago, where they replaced a missing seed with a skater/team that had a higher SB than the lowest of the SB among the top 1-6 skaters.

NMURA
04-22-2012, 03:02 PM
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120422-00000520-yom-spo

She says "I will make entries to next season's GPs" but "may cancell if I couldn't have enough motivations."

I don't know how to read this. Maybe Morozov is willing to "come back" but Ando herself is still undecided.

love_skate2011
04-22-2012, 06:57 PM
I am expecting Miki to come back ! :cheer2:

I'd take her over Murakami, and with Mao not doing well
she could still be Japanese lady No.1 if she comes back next season

Jeschke
04-22-2012, 08:00 PM
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20120422-00000520-yom-spo

She says "I will make entries to next season's GPs" but "may cancell if I couldn't have enough motivations."

I don't know how to read this. Maybe Morozov is willing to "come back" but Ando herself is still undecided.

would be so :rollin: , if she comes back.

but as we read in morozovs interview, the chapter ando has closed. i cannot imagine him being her coach after they split up as a couple. i thought she may could go back to nobu sato, but with asada there, unlikely. letīs wait and see...
lang way until autumn, but crossing fingers.

jlai
04-22-2012, 08:07 PM
If she does enter herself in the gp, that will mean even fewer spots for the other ladies. I'm curious how ISu will handle that, considering they are the ones who reduce the number of competitors in each GP to ten.

Jeschke
04-22-2012, 09:00 PM
If she does enter herself in the gp, that will mean even fewer spots for the other ladies.

sounds a little bit reprouchful.
as a two time world champ and 5-times top6-finisher, she has the right, imo.

it would be a thousand times better to see ando (even not at her best) than given the spots to hecken, meite or helgesson 1 or 2 :D

donīt misunderstand me, i donīt like the 10 spots at gp , i would prefer 12 again and i lwould like to see those skaters (between 10-20 at worlds), but ando is so much more worth to see.

DORISPULASKI
04-22-2012, 09:00 PM
I would like to see 12 spots again, too.

barbk
04-22-2012, 11:51 PM
I am expecting Miki to come back ! :cheer2:

I'd take her over Murakami, and with Mao not doing well
she could still be Japanese lady No.1 if she comes back next season

I'm expecting Mao to do a lot better once she has some real time to mourn her mother. What an incredibly tough season this has been for her.

aemeraldrainc
04-23-2012, 06:29 AM
would be so :rollin: , if she comes back.

but as we read in morozovs interview, the chapter ando has closed. i cannot imagine him being her coach after they split up as a couple. i thought she may could go back to nobu sato, but with asada there, unlikely. letīs wait and see...
lang way until autumn, but crossing fingers.

Forgive my ignorance, but what Morozov interview are you referring to? What thread is it posted in?

Jeschke
04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
this one

http://eg.ru/daily/sports/31120/

was posted in the from russia with love 2 - thread, just before it was closed and we moved on the the off-season-thread.
was an interview about his personal life, life as an athlete and coach.

question was about miki; iīll copy from my earlier posts there what he said:

he was going to marry her, but things turned out to be differenz now. she is in japan with ehr mother and he thinks, she will never come back to compete.
the chapter ando is closed for him, andos mother is against the relationship, he didnīt want to give any details.

Sylvia
04-23-2012, 03:41 PM
ISU Season Best Total scores have been updated through World Team Trophy (Men (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtsmto.htm), Ladies (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtslto.htm), Pairs (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtspto.htm), Dance (http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2011-12/sbtsdto.htm)) - New SB scores for:

1 Daisuke Takahashi JPN
18 Adam Rippon USA
21 Kevin Reynolds CAN
56 Paolo Bacchini ITA

4 Akiko Suzuki JPN
29 Valentina Marchei ITA

6 Anna Cappellini/Luca LaNotte ITA

npavel
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
In the list on the first page, Contesti is listed two times, one in the garanted 2 spots as top 12 at worlds and one at season best top 24, so you can drop him the second time, making the spot free for someone else

euterpe
04-23-2012, 06:53 PM
this one

http://eg.ru/daily/sports/31120/

was posted in the from russia with love 2 - thread, just before it was closed and we moved on the the off-season-thread.
was an interview about his personal life, life as an athlete and coach.

question was about miki; iīll copy from my earlier posts there what he said:

he was going to marry her, but things turned out to be differenz now. she is in japan with ehr mother and he thinks, she will never come back to compete.
the chapter ando is closed for him, andos mother is against the relationship, he didnīt want to give any details.

Not surprised AT ALL that Ando's mom was against the relationship!

smarts1
04-23-2012, 09:44 PM
WHAT? THAT RELATIONSHIP WAS REAL?