PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Sylvia
04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
GP assignments were announced last year on June 27. ...
The ISU Congress and ISU Council are meeting in Kuala Lumpur in June (June 10-17). So, it'll probably be June when the assignments will be announced.
Phil Hersh's recent article on Gracie Gold and WTT mentioned that the Grand Prix assignments would be on made on May 19, which is a Saturday.

Can anyone else confirm this date?

Anya
04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
NHK Trophy is a bit of a conundrum for the JSF because while Takahashi is the biggest crowd puller in Japan (yes bigger than Mao who is the TV ratings draw), the event this year is being hosted in Sendai which is Hanyu's home town.

If ISU keeps the option of 3 events for the medalists, here is no way to avoid having two medallists at some of the events. So NHK might as well get both Takahashi and Hanyu.

GarrAarghHrumph
04-17-2012, 02:59 PM
At what point does the location for Skate America normally get announced?

allezfred
04-17-2012, 03:01 PM
If ISU keeps the option of 3 events for the medalists, here is no way to avoid having two medallists at some of the events. So NHK might as well get both Takahashi and Hanyu.

I think that will only happen if Hanyu wants to do three events as I'm fairly sure that Takahashi won't (probably NHK and then one out of Skate America and Skate Canada. Europe :wuzrobbed :fragile: ).

allezfred
04-17-2012, 03:02 PM

:sekret:

barbk
04-17-2012, 03:08 PM
I wish they'd just drop the 3rd GP option. How many times has the third GP ended up dropped? Given the reduced number of GP entries, and the number of folks who could well medal at the one GP they're entitled to, we could easily see the GP final feature lesser-accomplished skaters because some of the best are locked out of the necessary 2nd GP.

Rob
04-17-2012, 03:36 PM

There is no such thing as normally. Recently, it was announced sometime between January and March. 5 or 6 years ago, it was announced at least a year in advance. This year, rumors are mid-June. They must be strong-arming someone into taking it.

JasperBoy
04-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I wish they'd just drop the 3rd GP option. How many times has the third GP ended up dropped? Given the reduced number of GP entries, and the number of folks who could well medal at the one GP they're entitled to, we could easily see the GP final feature lesser-accomplished skaters because some of the best are locked out of the necessary 2nd GP.

Yes

NMURA
04-17-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmm, which federation actually wants that? Maybe the smaller ones? I imagine the bigger ones with promising juniors would rather push them out early than not. For example, Russia'd surely want Julia Lipnitskaya to skate on the senior GP an extra season before Sochi?

That proposal was from the ISU council (which means it's likely to be passed). Any proposals have certain supporting bases. Maybe some (major) federations don't want Lipnitskaya on the senior GP. Even for Russia, it would be better to promote Sotnikova (and Tuktami) for the crucial pre-Olympic season rather than hurting their reputations. Having a world medal is the de facto prerequisite for a Olympic medal.

euterpe
04-17-2012, 04:31 PM
I think they're changing the GP age rule in conjunction with another proposed rule change that will prohibit moving from Senior competitions back to Junior ones. Under current rules, a 14-year-old can skate in the GP but cannot go to Worlds, 4CC or Euros, so JW is the only championship option. Changing the GP age makes the rules uniform.

Dave of the North
04-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I think that will only happen if Hanyu wants to do three events as I'm fairly sure that Takahashi won't (probably NHK and then one out of Skate America and Skate Canada. Europe :wuzrobbed :fragile: ).

Likely not Skate Canada as Chan would (should) be there.

allezfred
04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Likely not Skate Canada as Chan would (should) be there.

I'd forgotten about that. So Chan does Skate Canada and TEB, Takahashi Skate America and NHK and Hanyu Cup of China and Rostelecom. Who needs to have a meeting to decide the spots anyway? :P

love_skate2011
04-17-2012, 04:52 PM
I think they're changing the GP age rule in conjunction with another proposed rule change that will prohibit moving from Senior competitions back to Junior ones. Under current rules, a 14-year-old can skate in the GP but cannot go to Worlds, 4CC or Euros, so JW is the only championship option. Changing the GP age makes the rules uniform.

hmm and this will take out the privilege of some skaters like S/H who enjoyed doing seniors and juniors for a while, but will this be 100% implemented ?
Chinquanta has most of the support on this one, but I'm assuming some of the fed like in Russia might make a consideration for Lipnitskaya or would it be too much of a burden just for the sake of a one to be 14 year old.

Zemgirl
04-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I wish they'd just drop the 3rd GP option. How many times has the third GP ended up dropped?
I think the only ones who asked for three GPs but only did two were P/B, because of his bronchitis. There's a bonus for doing three, and if you sign up for three but skip the third there's supposed to be a fine.

I'd forgotten about that. So Chan does Skate Canada and TEB, Takahashi Skate America and NHK and Hanyu Cup of China and Rostelecom. Who needs to have a meeting to decide the spots anyway? :P
Will the FFSG want to have Chan at TEB, seeing as how he was probably the least popular medalist with the audience at Worlds?

Anya
04-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I seriously doubt that FFSG cares about audience reaciton at the Worlds. It might be better for them not to invite Chan, if they believe that Joubert (who presumably will be doing TEB) has better chances of defeating Takahashi or Hanyu, but I doubt that they will factor audience support into their decision.

As for the age rules, I think the ISU wanted it already at the last Congress, but it did not work for whatever reason (I remember some rumours that Polina Shelepen was not named for the Senior GP two years ago, because the RFSF expected the age rules to change and make her ineligible for it. It might be just a rumour, though, because they were not keen to move her up to Seniors this year, either). It does look better and makes more sense to have just one age of 'majority' than two (or will they still keep 14 years as a requirement for B-list competitions?).

The RFSF will surely be against it, with Lipnitskaya being the new start and everything. Does any other NGB have a stake in the matter? Gold is old enough. What about Japanese girls?