PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]

caseyedwards
05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
If a country doesn't earn a spot at Worlds, there is a b-international in the fall where they will have an opportunity to earn one Olympic spot. And unless something has changed, the host country is always guaranteed one spot in each discipline, and that skater gets to skate in the free even if they don't qualify after the short. So Russia will definitely have at least one men's spot.

The B's are there and could provide a spot if 2013 worlds is a problem. There is conflict over automatic slot for host country. The posts above conflict.

You're doing Gachinski a massive disservice. He is more than capable of a top 5 at the minimum. They only need a top 10 finish at 2013 Worlds to have two spots for Sochi, yes?

He could be top 10 and he can also be below top 10. I'm just thinking about non-participation as well. What if someone is assigned and withdraws. Then there is no one and you have to wait until September for a senior B to qualify. Only really trustworthy people who could win a senior B are Plushenko or Gachinski.

kwanfan1818
05-19-2012, 06:05 PM
There is no conflict over whether the host country gets an automatic slot: it's all there in Rule 400:

400 A&B 3: (all members): Attempt to qualify at prior year's Worlds.

400 A&B 4: (all members): If unsuccessful, attempt to qualify one at Fall qualifying competition.

400 A&B 5: (host nation only): If still unsuccessful,get automatic slot into the SD/SP.

The only question was whether a lone host nation skater who didn't qualify for the FD/FS from the SD/SP got an automatic spot in the FD/FS, and the answer is "no", at least according to the current rules.

Ziggy
05-19-2012, 07:11 PM
Thinking ahead a bit: I wonder if Korea has a dance or pairs team.

5 recently formed (I think all Junior IIRC) Ice Dance teams trained by Sergei Astashev.

I don't know about any Pairs.

Eislauffan
05-20-2012, 09:52 PM
5 recently formed (I think all Junior IIRC) Ice Dance teams trained by Sergei Astashev.

I don't know about any Pairs.

There is also one new Korean-Russian dance team that is coached by Irina Zhuk and Alexander Svinin in Moscow.

Ziggy
05-20-2012, 11:13 PM
There is also one new Korean-Russian dance team that is coached by Irina Zhuk and Alexander Svinin in Moscow.

Oooh that is very interesting, thanks!

You mean one partner is Korean and the other Russian and they're going to represent Korea?