View Full Version : 2012-13 Grand Prix Pre-announcement Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12

Eislauffan
05-18-2012, 07:57 AM
DANCE
Guaranteed at least 1 GP:
Sinitsina/Zhiganshin RUS 9 SB/14 WS (assumed to be moving up),
Believed to be returning to JGP: Stepanova/Bukin RUS 11 SB/16 WS

Stepanova/Bukin are staying on the junior circuit as their coaches confirmed to me. Sinitsina/Zhiganshin are moving up according to sources in Russia.

kwanfan1818
05-18-2012, 09:28 AM
:confused:

I thought that each country had a maximum number of skaters they could have at each event?
That is three per event; the maximum number of slots for one country is 18 (3*6).

The number of US Men guaranteed spots this season if all turn Senior are:

Two:
Abbott

One:
Miner
Rippon
Farris
Brown
Dornbush

Weir and Lysacek are either come-back skaters guaranteed two -- after signing that they intend to come back, skate GPs, etc. -- or, if they don't take that option, they can be at the top of the alternates list as come-back skaters.

In total, that's a maximum of 11 of 18 maximum spots for US men if Lysacek and Weir use the one-time "come-back" option and each skater gets the number of guaranteed spots. If every skater gets two in the initial selection, that would mean 16 of 18 maximum slots, leaving two host pick slots for anyone USFS wants to invite. With at least three men likely to use the "come-back" clause (including Plushenko), and because all those guaranteed one must get a second before anyone in the Top 75 is considered for a non-host pick, it's unlikely that any US Men not Top 24 WS or SB will get a spot from the alternates list for the other five events.

shah
05-18-2012, 10:09 AM
This Japanese newspaper article says:

- Miki Ando will participate in GPS. ISU now requires athletes who took year(s) off and intend to come back
to sign an agreement that they are obliged to participate in GPS
unless unforeseeable incidents happen. Miki signed this agreement.

- A meeting for GPS assignments will take place this weekend in Chicago.

http://twitpic.com/9m5vxg

Johnny Weir just tweeted tonight:
"Can barely wait for the ISU Grand Prix Assignments on Monday! Fingers crossed!"

I'm getting really excited, as well :).

misskarne
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Weir and Lysacek are either come-back skaters guaranteed two -- after signing that they intend to come back, skate GPs, etc. -- or, if they don't take that option, they can be at the top of the alternates list as come-back skaters.

In total, that's a maximum of 11 of 18 maximum spots for US men if Lysacek and Weir use the one-time "come-back" option and each skater gets the number of guaranteed spots. If every skater gets two in the initial selection, that would mean 16 of 18 maximum slots, leaving two host pick slots for anyone USFS wants to invite. With at least three men likely to use the "come-back" clause (including Plushenko), and because all those guaranteed one must get a second before anyone in the Top 75 is considered for a non-host pick, it's unlikely that any US Men not Top 24 WS or SB will get a spot from the alternates list for the other five events.

Oh, okay! Thankyou for clearing up that confusion. So if they decide to turn Senior, both Josh and Jason should get at least one.

PS: I don't think Plushenko can use the "comeback skater" clause since he did an ISU Championship last season?

Zemgirl
05-18-2012, 01:06 PM
PS: I don't think Plushenko can use the "comeback skater" clause since he did an ISU Championship last season?
Based on how last year's announcement was phrased, he can't. But he's guaranteed a slot anyway, and I can't imagine he'll want to do more than Rostelecom (if that).

l'etoile
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Didn't Plushy already declare that he's going to participate in only one GP event which of course would be Rostelecom cup?

misskarne
05-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Didn't Plushy already declare that he's going to participate in only one GP event which of course would be Rostelecom cup?

There's been a bit of confusion and mixed messages about that, but the basic theme that seems constant is that he's taking steps towards building up a full season as he gets closer to the Olympics - so I imagine this year we'll see him at a GP, Nationals, Euros. Worlds is up in the air because it's in Canada and the Canadians would just LOVE to knock him down and PCS the heck out of Chan on home soil.

Then the following season he would do 2 GPs, GPF, Nationals, Euros, Olympics, maybe Worlds.

At least that's how I've been reading it.

kirkbiggestfan
05-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Since the GPF is in Sochi, I was wondering if Plushy would try to get there and maybe skip nationals or Euros.

Really
05-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Worlds is up in the air because it's in Canada and the Canadians would just LOVE to knock him down and PCS the heck out of Chan on home soil.Yes, because we all know there are only Canadian judges on the panel when Worlds are held in Canada.

VarBar
05-18-2012, 02:27 PM
There's been a bit of confusion and mixed messages about that, but the basic theme that seems constant is that he's taking steps towards building up a full season as he gets closer to the Olympics - so I imagine this year we'll see him at a GP, Nationals, Euros. Worlds is up in the air because it's in Canada and the Canadians would just LOVE to knock him down and PCS the heck out of Chan on home soil.

If you think that's the rule in figure skating, you must be overjoyed then that the next Olympics are held in Russia.;)

Zemgirl
05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Then the following season he would do 2 GPs, GPF, Nationals, Euros, Olympics, maybe Worlds.
Plushy's never done post-Olympic worlds (1998, of course, doesn't count). I can't imagine he'll do so in 2014. As for his plan for 2012-13, I guess we'll find out more in three days' time...

Yes, because we all know there are only Canadian judges on the panel when Worlds are held in Canada.
I don't think it's a given that Canadian skaters will be held up at Worlds, but politikking can be accomplished with international panels, and it's not like we've never seen a home ice advantage in past skating events. I can think of Canadians (as well as skaters from elsewhere) who have benefited.

OTOH, it might be interesting to see what happens if/when Plushenko and Chan end up competing against each other in Russia - at the GPF, as kirkbiggestfan suggested, or later on.

DORISPULASKI
05-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Look to the tech panels for the big time politicking.

Speedy gets to pick the 3 panel members with help from the VP of figure skating...who is David Dore...of Canada. They also consult the federation hosting the event...which is Skate Canada.

Andrey aka Pushkin
05-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Words can not describe how much I'd rather Chan in Moscow than Pluschenko :lol:
(but most of all I want Takahashi :shuffle: )

Domshabfan
05-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Based on how last year's announcement was phrased, he can't. But he's guaranteed a slot anyway, and I can't imagine he'll want to do more than Rostelecom (if that).

He will very likely want to do two and qualify for the GPF since it is being held at Sochi Olympics stadium.

ETA; haha Kirkbiggestfan has already said this before.

l'etoile
05-18-2012, 03:28 PM
He will very likely want to do two and qualify for the GPF since it is being held at Sochi Olympics stadium.

ETA; haha Kirkbiggestfan has already said this before.

I think this is absolutely great thing to pre-experience and feel the Olympic atmosphere. In 2009, when 4cc was held in Vancouver every top skater didn't miss a chance to skate at olympic rink.