BigB08822
04-17-2012, 12:05 PM
My favorite is Emotions

http://youtu.be/UBgAj4cNee4

Mine as well, how was it left off of this poll!? :drama:

Meredith
04-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Another vote for Emotions (Other).

I had no idea how prolific the Bee Gees were as songwriters until they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

aliceanne
04-17-2012, 03:50 PM
You Should Be Dancing.

We couldn't understand the part of the chorus that goes "whatcha doin on your back" so we used to sing "stick it in your ear and dance, stick it in your ear and dance, you should be dancing, yeah" :D

I thought it was "whatcha doin in your bed" (it's midnight and you should be dancing)

I liked "Jive Talkin" and "Islands in the Stream".

Jenny
04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Mushy middle school dance voids: How Deep is Your Love.

Great song, even when Destiny's Child did it - another "other" for Emotion.

Special mention to Barry Gibb's title track from the movie version of Grease.

And much nostalgia for a song I still really love: I Just Wanna Be Your Everything by brother Andy.

Latte
04-17-2012, 04:38 PM
That is just so hard to choose. And I didn't realize it was multiple choice.

PeterG
04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm so glad that Nights on Broadway and Love So Right made the poll. GREAT songs! My favourite was from around that same time period, "Fanny (Be Tender With My Love" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4qrEOCNr3g) which went to #12 on the U.S. pop charts (and #2 here in Canada).

Mine as well, how was it left off of this poll!? :drama:

I assumed the poll was about songs recorded by the Bee Gees, not songs written by them. Otherwise, we'd have to include too much other stuff, including Diana Ross' "Eaten Alive" album (which included Chain Reaction), Dionne Warwick's "Heartbreaker" album and Barbra Streisand's "Guilty" album (which had three top 10 hits on it). I do have to admit that I looooved Samantha Sang's "Emotion". :respec:

Beefcake
04-17-2012, 07:49 PM
^ Yep, many amazing Gibbs songs out there. I also love, from the Guilty album, the Babs' Robin/Barry penned "Woman in Love" ... the one with a ridiculously amazing-even-for-leStreisand "I give you it alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll" note. :swoon:

jollibee
04-17-2012, 10:47 PM
My absolute fave Bee Gees song is You Win Again (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kses3SfG-lU).

snoopysnake
04-17-2012, 11:55 PM
Praying for Robin.

Reuven
04-18-2012, 11:06 AM
Pretty much like anything of theirs pre-disco. Sorry can't stand disco.

Gypsy
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
New York Mining Disaster 1941 (1967)

Peaches LaTour
04-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Massachusetts.

I spent a lovely childhood in Needham where my sister (who is my best friend) was born. I have so many wonderful memories of that time that it brings tears to my eyes whenever I hear it.

"I've Just Got to get a Message to You" is also a favorite of mine.

Deeply, deeply saddened to learn that Robyn is so ill. :(

Jenny
04-18-2012, 07:16 PM
It's interesting to see so many songs I don't know (or don't remember) cited here, and I'm going to have to do some digging in our music collection to see if we actually have any of this.

It's a pity when a good artist is remembered mostly for their hits, which are often not representative of their larger body of work.

One that immediately comes to mind is Robert Palmer (who died way too young) - most remember Addicted to Love and the landmark video that went with it, but the much larger body of work he wrote and recorded is really, really good and apparently, all but forgotten.

Another band from the 70s is Thin Lizzy - most know The Boys Are Back in Town, but again there's a ton of other music that's really unique and remains high on our listening list today.

JILEN
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
My elder, dear brother who passed away years ago loved to sing "I Started A Joke". It was him who brought home those red Polydor records in the early 70s' that got me listening and singing to the Be Gees and the rest is history. Now 40 years later, I still swoon to the tune of "Still Waters".

Who is the falsetto ahhhhh, among the 3 brothers lol? I always thought it to be Barry?

I just hope Robin will pull through, I'm just :( ..

Susan1
04-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I'm definitely pre-disco
The pretty songs from my grade school years -
Tied for 1. My World - Run to Me
How Can You Mend a Broken Heart (I still have that 45)
Words
New York Mining Disaster 1941
Fanny
Lonely Days
Gotta Get a Message to You
I Started a Joke

And later - Barry's duets with Barbra on the Guilty album! (You know he co-wrote most of the songs?) I always liked What Kind of Fool better than Guilty.

(fun poll - I had those songs in my head all afternoon.)