PDA

View Full Version : Pulled gluteus maximus lmao!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Twilight1
04-13-2012, 04:40 PM
So kinda funny story. I was playing soccer with youngest son about 2 weeks ago now...and I pulled my butt muscle in our stretching exercise. I didn't think anything of it and just played through the pain. (I jokingly told coworkers hubby and I got a little too frisky one night:shuffle:)

I did the icing thing. Pushing through the pain and not taking anything for it... but 2 weeks later it feels like it is getting worse not better.

Any suggestions on what else I could be doing? How long does it take to heal?

I gotta say that it is amazing how almost all movements impact your butt. :lol:

Cheylana
04-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Oh no, how painful! Does it hurt to sit??
No experience on this subject, but feel better soon!

Buzz
04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
(((((Twilight)))))) OUCH!!! I remember spraining my right foot years ago and at first I ignored the pain too until I could barely walk. However in no time the foot swelled up to twice it's size. My sprain took about four months to heal with the help of LOTS of Rub A535 and bandages.

Twilight1
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys :)

Cheylana-It hurts to sit if I have been standing for awhile. Then it hurts to stand if I have been sitting for awhile. I can't take too large of a step when I walk cause that kind of hurts too.

I think the worse thing though is when I have been outside in the cold and the muscle constricts and then I stretch the muscle in any capacity whether it is walking or sitting. That happened one day when it was cold out and I thought the muscle was tearing it hurt so bad.

Stretching forward to grab laundry out of our front loader washing machine/ dryer is brutal too. Though...now I can ask hubby to do the laundry cuz my butt hurts. :rofl:

I don't want to see the doc about something so 'funny' and her give me something like T2's or T3's.

But having to deal with this for 4 months doesn't sound like too much fun :( Especially with the summer coming and it getting nice out so I can start jogging again.

BigB08822
04-14-2012, 12:42 AM
I had a skiing accident that resulted in a broken or bruised tailbone (never got checked, what was the point!?) and I guess the accident caused problems to my muscles in that area. For weeks after I would be doing normal everyday tasks and I would do something too quick and the muscle would feel like someone took a blowtorch to it. I will never forget going to tennis practice and taking the first swing of the racket, I think it hurt worse than the actual accident. Does yours feel like that sometimes? It probably lasted me 2-3 weeks but I was in high school so being young might have helped me heal more quickly.

jl22aries
04-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Is there any numbness or tingling?

If there isn't swelling, heat therapy might relieve some of the pain.

How do you feel when you're laying on your back on a hard surface? Prop your knees up slightly with pillows.

You should see a doctor.

Twilight1
04-14-2012, 02:34 AM
jl22aries- I don't feel numbness or tingling. It doesn't hurt at all if I am in one position. It is only when that muscle(s) group is engaged do I feel the pain. Should I still see the doc even though it is only movement that causes the issue? It isn't all the time. It is just the first initial steps, or climbing stairs. The initial sitting down etc etc.

BigB08822- I cracked my toe right after Grishuk & Platov won their gold medal in Lillehammer. I was so excited they won I whacked my foot against the wall. The pain was brutal!! I thought I just stubbed my toe and carried on the rest of day but the pain didn't go away. I went to the local ambulatory clinic and they xrayed my foot. I had cracked 2 toes. But really what can you do with cracked toes. They told me to take extra strength Tylenol and sent me on my way.

Good thing was because it hurt so bad to walk, I was able to stay home for the rest of the week and was able to watch all the coverage of the ladies event including the Tonya/ Nancy drama

barbk
04-14-2012, 03:55 AM
Oh Twilight -- I am laughing too hard at the thought of you jumping around after G&P won (were you happy or mad?) -- but I know broken toes hurt like the dickens.

The stretch that helps me when I have piriformis problems is one where I'm on my back and I use my right hand to pull my left knee down towards my right shoulder until I get a really good stretch -- you might give that a try. (Or, you could see a massage therapist and let them work over your glutes.)

Aussie Willy
04-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Stretching forward to grab laundry out of our front loader washing machine/ dryer is brutal too. Though...now I can ask hubby to do the laundry cuz my butt hurts. :rofl:

:rofl: Hey if you are going to injure yourself it definately has to have some benefits.

jl22aries
04-14-2012, 05:22 AM
The stretch barbk recommended is really great. I do it every day.

Buuuut I think after any sort of muscle pull, you should avoid stretching for at least a few days because it can really exacerbate the injury. Just rest, and if there is inflammation, cold therapy is good too. Cold AND hot therapy. Cold to reduce inflammation, hot to increase blood flow which helps heal injuries.

My hand went to my mouth and I gasped when I read how you injured your toe. Aaah I love FSU for uniting the fans. (aka I am not the only one!)

Twilight1
04-14-2012, 05:52 AM
I really liked G&P at that time and actually agreed with all the judging in all phases of the event at Oly's for the top 3. Their RnR FD is still my favourite after The Feeling Begins in '97.

I was running downstairs to excitedly tell my dad that my fave team won Oly gold...of course my father was already watching it on his own TV so I didn't need to tell him.

I have cracked the same toes about 3 times since 1994. Each time it is easier to deal with maybe giving birth 2 times has numbed me to minor toe pain. :lol: I have monkey toes...they are long and the toe beside the big toe is actually longer than the big toe so it gets me in trouble.

My clinical manager told me to be weary of bone spurs that could develop? Still haven't looked that up to see what bone spurs actually are.

Ozzisk8tr
04-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Is it the part at the bottom of your butt where the hamstring joins? You know that little crease? If so (I have pulled mine a few times before, once really severely) lay on your tummy and just lift that leg an inch or so off the ground behind you. Work on a pain level of about 7 and don't push past that. If it's the butt muscle itself I would suggest googling stretches you could do specifically for that. I del your pain (not literally as that could be icky). ;)

Twilight1
04-14-2012, 06:13 AM
It is the outside butt muscle... the big ol fleshy part. It is so funny telling people how I am feeling...

Them- "How are you?"

Me- "My butt hurts...you?"

It is a great conversation piece. :rofl:

I am going to try the ice/ heat for the next couple of days... then try some stretches. I broke down tonight and finally took 1 naproxen. I am at work and had to run outside to talk to a client, then came in from the cool air and sat down. It was like that other time a few days ago where it really felt like something was tearing.

Ozzisk8tr
04-14-2012, 07:26 AM
You need to ask them to kiss it better.

Aussie Willy
04-14-2012, 07:35 AM
You need to ask them to kiss it better.
Well ain't that the perfect opportunity to ask people to kiss your arse!