PDA

View Full Version : J.K. Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy'

Pages : 1 [2]

Artemis@BC
04-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Sept 30 seems a very long way away ...

Gazpacho
04-14-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm not at all surprised that it's aimed at adults. My guess is that this novel will be intentionally as different from Harry Potter as it can be, within the limits of her literary abilities and quality standards. That will make it difficult for direct comparisons.

essence_of_soy
04-15-2012, 04:23 AM
How many of us have the opportunity (and the wealth to fall back on) to make our artistic endeavors our livelihoods?

I've not read any of her HP books or seen the movies, but good on her for continuing to explore her talent and making new fans in the process.

agalisgv
04-15-2012, 04:50 AM
I'm not at all surprised that it's aimed at adults. To be fair, HP was aimed at adults too. JKR thought she was writing adult fiction with HP--it was her publishers that remarketed it because of the storyline and simplistic prose style.

tarotx
04-15-2012, 09:34 AM
I consider the first 2 Harry Potter books children's books.Perhaps the first 3. I think with 3,4&5 the style of her pose started to shift to be more for teens and adults. HP 6&7 are more nuanced. So J.K has aged her writing with her readers.I love her writing so to say I'm looking forward to 'The Casual Vacancy' is to put it mildly.

skatesindreams
04-15-2012, 06:09 PM
The Harry Potter novels appealed to both young people and adults.
Adult reader here who was delighted to see both groups reading, discussing and enjoying them.

danceronice
04-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Why do multimillionaire actors strive to be better than their last wildly popular picture? Why do athletes who've won every accolade thier sport has to offer, come back with the hope of doing it even better? Any artist worth their salt always feels pressure to measure themselves against their last success. I doubt JKR is worried about topping her HP success. But it takes courage not to rest on one's incredibly successful laurels, and that comes with it's own pressure.

Well, with actors, I suspect in the cases of some megastars it's less "art" (except in their minds) than an inability to face being out of the public eye, given what massive attention whores some become even without a picture to promote. It's hard to credit someone saying in an interview how they hate all the attention when...well, they're GIVING the interview, and have enough money they could easily have gone J.D. Salinger on the world years ago.

But in general, yes, when someone could (with sensible accounting and investing, or in Rowling's case just a decent bank to put it all in) never work again a day in their lives, especially with something where a certain set of the readership/critics are just WAITING for "proof" they're a no-talent hack, it takes guts to put something completely different out there for the world to judge. There are the people who think HP was a fluke, who think it was terrible and a classic case of it's popular therefore it sucks, people who are just WAITING for her to try something 'serious' so they can point and laugh and say she's terrible. Unless she's got some massive spending habit she's hiding really well, she's not risking her livelihood, but she's sure putting her ego out there to get kicked around.

rjblue
04-16-2012, 02:32 AM
but she's sure putting her ego out there to get kicked around.
That's the life of all the musical artists that have major hits. No one expects them to stop recording. Of course she isn't going to equal Harry Potter in sales or popularity, but she will sell a profitable amount of every book she ever publishes even if she (to paraphrase) writes about the kitchen sink.

I think it's a real shame that Margaret Mitchell and J.D. Salinger never published another book. They must have had stories in their head.

milanessa
04-16-2012, 04:52 AM
I think it's a real shame that Margaret Mitchell and J.D. Salinger never published another book. They must have had stories in their head.

And Harper Lee.

IceAlisa
04-16-2012, 05:23 AM
I've always wondered about them, so richly talented.

Artemis@BC
04-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Just checked on the off chance, and lo and behold my libraray does already have it listed! I'm #12 on 15 copies, so yay!

(Assuming it's as good as I hope/expect it to be I will no doubt eventually buy it, but 2nd hand or paperback, not hot off the press.)

NinjaTurtles
04-16-2012, 05:54 PM
I remember a few years ago there was rumor of J.K. Rowling writing adult mystery under a different nom de plume. I can see the appeal of using a pseudonym in her situation, she'll receive a lot of attention and criticism due to the success of Harry Potter. Conversely, using her name allows for her huge already formed fan base to buy the book. ;)

kwanatic
04-16-2012, 06:58 PM
4 times? Lightweight. I'm up to 8 I think. :lol: In fact, I figure I'm due for another round of audio listening.

At least 4 times! :D Starting from book 1 to book 7, I'd say about 4 or 5 times. But I've probably read books 4-6 about six times or more...I know I've read book 7 four times. Then at times, I'd randomly pick up a book (usually 6 or 7; my two favs) and just spot read for a couple of chapters.

I'm listening to the audio books too. I really love having them on my iPod. My commute to and from work used to be really long (40-45 mins in the morning, closer to an hour and some change in the afternoon) and having the books to listen to really helped me get through the traffic. My commute is much shorter now (I moved) but I still listen to the books when I drive home to visit my parents or when I go shopping. I'm finishing up book 5 right now...

Artemis@BC
04-16-2012, 08:59 PM
I remember a few years ago there was rumor of J.K. Rowling writing adult mystery under a different nom de plume. I can see the appeal of using a pseudonym in her situation, she'll receive a lot of attention and criticism due to the success of Harry Potter. Conversely, using her name allows for her huge already formed fan base to buy the book. ;)

If she had written under a pseudonym, I think there's very little chance it would have stayed a secret for very long.

danceronice
04-16-2012, 10:42 PM
That's the life of all the musical artists that have major hits. No one expects them to stop recording. Of course she isn't going to equal Harry Potter in sales or popularity, but she will sell a profitable amount of every book she ever publishes even if she (to paraphrase) writes about the kitchen sink.

There are few musicians who can make enough on one album to retire, though. (There aren't many authors who make enough to live on, let alone retire.) Lots of actors, if they lived sensibly instead of ostentatiously, but relatively few writers or musicians. Rowling's a really rare case-she not only got rich, she's richer than the Queen.

And eh. Some writers really do only have one great book in them, or only one they really feel compelled to write and publish. Not many are Stephen King, cranking out novels, or polymaths like Asimov or Clarke, writing fiction and nonfiction in mass quantities.