PDA

View Full Version : Time hasn't slowed down figure skating's Mr. Nicks

Pages : [1] 2

Sylvia
04-12-2012, 08:13 PM
A pre-Worlds Orange County Register article about Coach John Nicks, who turns 83 this month: http://www.ocregister.com/sports/nicks-346526-skating-olympic.html

"Well most people retire at 65 or 75," said Nicks one recent morning in office at the Aliso Viejo Ice Palace. "And I guess I to be honest with you I never much thought about it. I was always very much into what I was doing. I've always been very lucky with my health. I've had teaching since 1961 in this country. And I've only had 11 days not working because of sickness so the health thing, I've been very fortunate. That has enabled me to go on as long as I have.

"And also I think when you get older you need things to help you. You need a little excitement in your life, which you're not getting as much," Nicks continued laughing, "and I think when I go to competitions, in particular World Championships and Olympic Games, it's exciting. I really look forward to that. I sometimes don't look forward to coming in here at 6:30 in the morning in a cold ice rink and working but I really look forward to the competition part and traveling and going to these competitions."
"I do know if I coached the same as I coached 30 years ago I would be out of business, that I know," Nicks said. "And I think all coaches will tell you that through the years the adaptation you have to make with young people and the different lifestyles and the different priorities and different strengths and weaknesses the generations show after generation you just have to understand it and keep up with it and change your coaching attitude dependent on these changes. I think if you don't change you're dead."

(Note: Nicks is no longer Courtney Hicks' primary coach -- see this thread (starting with post #25) (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82446&page=2) for today's official announcement.)

skatesindreams
04-12-2012, 08:18 PM
He has been a "treasure" for US skaters/skating.
More power to him!

Sylvia
05-25-2012, 07:33 PM
The Professional Skaters Association's EDI Award for 2012 Coach of the Year was awarded to John Nicks last night - article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120525&content_id=32206844&vkey=ice_news

"Ashley [Wagner] is a complete scatterbrain and listens to half of what I say," Nicks said, once again calling upon his dry English wit. "She is very critical of me; [she says] my hairstyle doesn't hack it, my clothes are too old-fashioned. Recently she said I was her 'Yoda.' My friend had to tell me Yoda was [that character] from Star Wars."

After the laughter died down, Nicks added, "If it wasn't for Ashley, I wouldn't be here."

skatesindreams
05-25-2012, 07:35 PM
A most deserved honor!

BittyBug
05-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Definitely a well-deserved honor for one of the legends of our sport. :40beers:

Lacey
05-26-2012, 08:14 PM
He brought her to the top, she had the goods, but she needed someone to bring it out.

query5
05-26-2012, 08:30 PM
congratulations to Mr. Nicks on winning the Coach of the year award. well deserved honor

arakwafan2006
05-26-2012, 08:48 PM
Very well deserved.

It would be nice to see him work with Patrick Chan. I mean who else is worthy?

Wyliefan
05-27-2012, 02:00 AM
Bravo, Mr. Nicks! Well deserved! :respec:

And I don't care what Ashley says, I love his hair. :lol:

paskatefan
05-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Way to go, Mr. Nicks! Well deserved! :encore:

aftershocks
05-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Wonderful and deserved honor, which is mentioned to be John Nicks' second (but what year did he win it the first time?) Great accomplishment and very inspiring the work he and Ashley achieved together. What a great sense of humor, and what an elegant gentleman! BTW, Nicks was interviewed by manleywoman on episode #15 of her skatecast.

It would be nice to see him work with Patrick Chan. I mean who else is worthy?

I really don't see Nicks taking on anymore top level skaters at this point. His work with Ashley has been serendipity and it was she who sought him out and promised to do everything he said.

Besides, Patrick already has more than enough skating insiders in his corner, especially the judges. :P

Sylvia
05-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Mr. Nicks last won won the Coach of the Year award in 1991.

Leah Keiser (12th in her senior debut at 2012 US Nationals) recently switched to him.

aftershocks
05-27-2012, 04:39 PM
^^ Thanks Sylvia (that must have been for his work in pairs?)

Nicks is amazing, but again I thought he was paring back a bit with taking on a lot of skaters, especially top level ones where lots of travel is involved. I don't think it was easy for Ashley to get him as a coach. He was working with Marley/ Brubaker for awhile, and then handed off those coaching duties to Meno and Sand.

Garden Kitty
05-27-2012, 06:25 PM
One of the things I liked about Rise is that it really showcased Nicks' deadpan humor and unique style. He's a legend in the sport - congrats on his win!

kittyjake5
05-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Congrats to Mr. Nicks! Well deserved honor!