PDA

View Full Version : Axl Rose declines Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame nomination, won't attend ceremony

Pages : 1 [2]

Cheylana
04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
What are the criteria, even? Wondering if GNR, Red Hot Chili Peppers are legendary enough...

JILEN
04-13-2012, 02:58 PM
What are the criteria, even? Wondering if GNR, Red Hot Chili Peppers are legendary enough...

Artists are eligible twenty five years after their first record is released. Criteria include influence and significance of the artist' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll but then again you have to really define what "rock and roll" is. Ex. abba, james taylor, miles davis, gladys knight & the pips, dusty springfield & others made it to the HOF.

Performers being inducted this year incude, but are not limited to:

Guns & Roses
The Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Beastie Boys
Donovan
Laura Nyro

Performers not being inducted this year, or any previous year who I think should be and have been:

Boston
Chicago
Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Heart
Iron Maiden
Journey
Kiss
Nirvana
Roxy Music
Rush
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ted Nugent
Yes

I quit caring about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame a long time ago. They just don't seem to know or really care about good music.

Latte
04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
this^
Donovan was a BIG star in the seventys. He was one of the so called
British Invasion. Really cute too.
Actor Donovan Leach (sp?) is his son.
Actress Ione Sky is his daughter.

PeterG
04-13-2012, 05:22 PM
Performers not being inducted this year, or any previous year who I think should be and have been:

Boston
Chicago
Deep Purple
Dire Straits
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer
Heart
Iron Maiden
Journey
Kiss
Nirvana
Roxy Music
Rush
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ted Nugent
Yes

Pat Benatar should be in the R&RHoF. And Suzi Quatro as well. While Quatro didn't have a big career in the USA, she was a trailblazer and was really big in England in the 70's and still tours regularly throughout other parts of the world (Japan, Australia, Germany, etc.).

JILEN
04-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Pat Benatar should be in the R&RHoF. And Suzi Quatro as well. While Quatro didn't have a big career in the USA, she was a trailblazer and was really big in England in the 70's and still tours regularly throughout other parts of the world (Japan, Australia, Germany, etc.).

I like them both and while Suzi Quatro and Pat rocked the waves in the late 70's/80's I dont consider their US music influence R&RHoF worthy, maybe in England they are a shoe in. jmo.

KHenry14
04-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Artists are eligible twenty five years after their first record is released. Criteria include influence and significance of the artist' contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll but then again you have to really define what "rock and roll" is. Ex. abba, james taylor, miles davis, gladys knight & the pips, dusty springfield & others made it to the HOF.

Influence is the key word. The RRHOF places a HUGE imporatance on that. For example, on that list, no band sold more records than Chicago has. And think about it, every High School band in America played their music in the 70's, and some still do even today. But they didn't influence a lot of other bands to use horns like they did, and over time, because of all the ballads they recorded, they became uncool. So being uncool and not influential in the way the HOF likes...they are out, and they don't even get nominated. This despite the fact that they were one of the biggest acts of the 1970's, one of the most socially conscious bands of the era, and one of the more creative bands of the time. You can write the same story for most of those who aren't in. :rolleyes:

Of the other bands on the list, the one most likely to get in is Nirvana. There are hundreds of bands that were influenced by them. But I gotta think that the RRHOF may be reluctant to induct Nirvana just because of the nightmare that Courtney is! I mean Axl's Diva-ness is nothing compared to Courtney Love. As we read today, even her own daughter is embarrassed by her, imagine what will happen when Nirvana gets in! Maybe the UFC will sponsor a cage match between Courtney and Dave Grohl on their induction! :rofl:

But I must add, is Nirvana even eligible yet?

nubka
04-13-2012, 08:51 PM
No Axel? Oh, darn (I was hoping he might undergo some more bad plastic surgery just for the occassion...) :yikes:

overedge
04-14-2012, 02:06 AM
No Axel? Oh, darn (I was hoping he might undergo some more bad plastic surgery just for the occassion...) :yikes:

Nah, he's just going to pull his cornrows tighter :P

nubka
04-14-2012, 03:06 AM
Nah, he's just going to pull his cornrows tighter :P

Lol!! :lol:

Coco
04-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Heart is so underrated - amazing, amazing band.

I do think they were finally nominated in 2012. FINALLY.

I wonder how long they have to be a nominee, if they'll be back on the ballot next year or not.