PDA

View Full Version : Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Shekhovtsova `The First Lady'

Pages : 1 [2]

caseyedwards
04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
V---her quite talented ice dance pair Gorshkova/Butikov

What? This is not a widely held belief. The Russian judges don't even belive it. There is no present junior team that can't do better than them when they move to seniors. I can't think of any!

AS----I reckon if there were two shows with Joubert and Pluschenko vs Chan and someone else the crowd would rather see Pluschenko and Joubert

Obviously!!!

Cherub721
04-12-2012, 07:36 PM
What? This is not a widely held belief. The Russian judges don't even belive it. There is no present junior team that can't do better than them when they move to seniors. I can't think of any!

Obviously!!!

They aren't bad skaters. I think she was using G&B as an example of a couple with talent and technique that has been so poorly packaged, costumed, and choreographed that it makes her wanna cry - a perfect example of how some of the Russian coaches have lost track completely of today's style. Had they been with another coach for the last few years, they'd be a totally different team. Maybe it isn't too late. Zlobina & Sitnikov were similarly a going-nowhere mid-pack Russian team but Zhulin has transformed them into something voidy and they are starting to be noticed.

caseyedwards
04-12-2012, 07:41 PM
They aren't bad skaters. I think she was using G&B as an example of a couple with talent and technique that has been so poorly packaged, costumed, and choreographed that it makes her wanna cry - a perfect example of how some of the Russian coaches have lost track completely of today's style. Had they been with another coach for the last few years, they'd be a totally different team. Maybe it isn't too late. Zlobina & Sitnikov were similarly a going-nowhere mid-pack Russian team but Zhulin has transformed them into something voidy and they are starting to be noticed.

This is true. It was just the idea of calling them talented aside from everything involved in skating didn't strike me even when reading all the comments.

aliona22
04-12-2012, 08:25 PM

I read this as a bit of a jab... I remember reading that Shekhovtsova was very critical of them at a training event. It seems like the journalist was baiting her in some of the questions.

Domshabfan
04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
This is true. It was just the idea of calling them talented aside from everything involved in skating didn't strike me even when reading all the comments.

Soon after they won the world junio silver medal many thought they has potential but they never came close to that. I think that is what she is talking about.

plushyta
04-13-2012, 05:38 PM
http://winter.sport-express.ru/figureskating/reviews/21079/

The cunning new system

EV: Even though their components are not considered high?
AS: As a judge I can't say their components are not high. For instance, what is `performance'? It's the energy the skater projects to the crowd. No one can compare to Joubert and Pluschenko in that. Both their dancing ability is quite high. Joubert's weakest component were always the transactions, but he took it very seriously this year and worked on that. Or at least hid it well enough. After Pluschenko's skate in the Europeans I saw many people in tears. I wanted just to stand up and take my hat off.
This is not an accurate translation - part about the "transitions" is related to Plushenko....;)
Слабым звеном нашего фигуриста всегда были связующие шаги между элементами, но должна сказать, что в этом сезоне он подошел к своей подготовке очень серьезно и практически устранил этот недостаток.

"Transitions between elements always were our skater (Plushenko)'s weak link, but this season he took it very seriously and practically eliminate this weakness."

TAHbKA
04-14-2012, 12:28 AM
This is not an accurate translation - part about the "transitions" is related to Plushenko....;)
Слабым звеном нашего фигуриста всегда были связующие шаги между элементами, но должна сказать, что в этом сезоне он подошел к своей подготовке очень серьезно и практически устранил этот недостаток.

"Transitions between elements always were our skater (Plushenko)'s weak link, but this season he took it very seriously and practically eliminate this weakness."

Hm.. I assumed the `our' skater was the skater they were talking about so far, which is Joubert, but reading your entepritation it seems right. Thanks!

Bournekraatzfan
04-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Thanks for translating. TAHbKA!

geoskate
04-14-2012, 06:32 AM
That was one courageous interviewer. Ms. Shehovtsova seems like a rather prickly individual.

Thanks for the translation.

kwanfan1818
04-14-2012, 07:27 AM
Since her husband is the Federation, many of her answers amounted to "Ask my husband."

skateboy
04-14-2012, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=TAHbKA;3544013
AS: The home judge is not only needed to give a higher mark, but because he can promote the skaters among the other judges. Just like we used to do. I remember in one of the competitions I was blamed for national bias. I explained it was not a national bias, but a national understanding of the ice dance.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the sport definitely needs more of THAT. :rolleyes:

winterchik
04-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Ms. Shehovtsova ... Is on a mission, maybe a impossible one, but NEVER the less a mission;)

plushyta
04-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Hm.. I assumed the `our' skater was the skater they were talking about so far, which is Joubert, but reading your entepritation it seems right. Thanks!

In whole the paragraph, she was talking about both skaters - so I dont know why you could do such mistake... :confused:

Anyway, please, fix your translation - people mostly read only translated text, and do not pay attention to the rest of topic ;)