PDA

View Full Version : Tired of people talking during events?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

Rochelle
05-24-2012, 07:24 PM
I do not stand up and walk around while someone is skating, choosing to do that after their skate, but most of the audience, who at these events are usually skaters, do - so that tells me it doesn't bother skaters or they wouldn't do it. When I skate I can never hear people talking, but I can see them walk around. Doesn't bother me, and if it did, I need to learn to keep my head in the game, just like a pitcher needs to learn to do the same!

Right. :) But as the theme of this thread goes... it's not about the skaters on the ice. It's all about the audience. :drama:vs :40beers:

When people are walking by while a skater is performing their program -- especially at non-major-international events -- you're almost definitely walking in front of the parents / family member / close friend of the skater competing at that moment.

carriemarie
05-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I am going to be honest and say that myself, as a former skater, and my other former skater and coaching friends usually talk through performances and make funny comments. In general, we know we are obnoxious to fans and try to find seats away from others (we are usually lucky enough to have credentials so seating is not an issue). Back in the late 90's and early 2000's we got shushed a few times (and moved to not disturb), but actually a lot of people will hear us talking and ask questions or laugh at our comments. BTW, I always put my phone on vibrate especially when we are in the front row as to not disturb skaters or fans.
As far as walking in the stands during a performance it used to be not allowed at Nationals. You had to wait until the end of the performance. Now that rule doesn't seem to apply, but I always follow those rules as it the proper thing to do. I am old school and would never run down the stairs during a performance with a beer and a hot dog or leave midway through to go to the bathroom or something.

PeterG
08-16-2012, 08:00 PM
When I 1st posed the question about talking, I figured that I was just getting it aired out because I was frustrated. It would appear that I am not the only one out there, so why are there still so many rude people talking during events? Everytime I ask people to please be quiet, they all look at me like I am the crazy one. I guess that I must be crazy to want to listen to the music and enjoy the skating.

I wonder if one of these days I will accidentally spill a pop all over somebody. I've been practising my shocked apology for quite a while now.... :lol: