PDA

View Full Version : Tired of people talking during events?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

AxelAnnie
04-17-2012, 02:03 AM
I just think people have either lost, or have never been properly trained in manners. It is simply rude to talk during a performance - and that is what skating is (I know it is a sport......but it is not like football where the crowd "roaring" is a good thing)

Good manners would dictate speaking softly (if you feel the need to comment). The same people who (rudely IMO) are loud at skating competitions are the same people who talk so loudly on their cell phones in restaurants, markets or wherever (really, I don't want to hear about your problems when I don't even know you!)

If you pay for a ticket and go to a skating event, you want maybe three things
1. To keep warm.
2. Your favorite to win
3. Watch the skating...in peace and quiet (except for the music, of course).

JJH
04-17-2012, 02:39 AM
If we were discussing a noisy group of kids who chattered non-stop, I think that most of us would probably disapprove of the behavior and expect the parents to do something about it. Do adults who loudly and continuously pontificate throughout the skating get a free pass?

I have a question. Why would spectators behave the same way at all sporting events? Does the crowd at a golf tournament, the superbowl and a tennis match behave in the same way?

Aussie Willy
04-17-2012, 03:21 AM
yes, I would find a guy-chewing guy very distracting too:)
Depends how good-looking they are. :D. Or if they are two skaters doing Brokeback Mountain on Ice.

Triple Butz
04-17-2012, 03:28 AM
I used to encounter rude people at COI, but at GP and World competitions I've been to, most of the audience members have been respectful. The only @$$hat I encountered was Phil Hersh who kept getting up and blocking my view to get ice cream, and stood, pointed and laughed when Nobunari Oda fell in the SP at 09 Worlds :(

Quintuple
04-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Even my own friends are not exempt. If I ever get a friend to come to a local skating or gymnastics competition with me, I'll whisper, "Tell ya later!" if they start asking me something in the middle of a performance. Then I just lean over and whisper. It's kinda like how even if I find food in a restaurant really bad, I'll wait until we're outside and quite a distance away to start talking about it.

That said, I do like overhearing *useful* information at skating competitions. But nothing's worse than a know-it-all loudmouth who actually knows nothing.

There's a gal at work who keeps getting into fights at movie theaters. Once, she was with her husband, and two girls walked in late, in front of them, talking.

Husband: "Don't ... just don't ..."

(held back frustration)

Then one of their phones rang.

(fist)

Husband: "Don't! Just let it go!"

Phone rang again. Girl took the call, loudly.

Husband: "I am not breaking up this fight."

Girl from work: "Shh ..."

Girl on phone: "WHAT?"

Girl from work: "Excuse me, we're trying to watch the movie."

Girl on phone: "EXCUSE YOU, WHAT DID YOU SAY? I AM ON THE PHONE."

Girl from work: "I said, unless you want to know what your phone TASTES like, I suggest you take your conversation outside. Or do you want us both to take your conversation outside?"

Girl on phone: "Gotta go, bye." Hung up phone.

sequins
04-18-2012, 01:11 AM
I'm going to take this thread as an opportunity to bitch about what I think is one of the worst features CoP has inflicted upon us - LOUD POP MUSIC IN THE ARENA IN BETWEEN SKATERS WHILE WAITING FOR MARKS. There. I shouted it!

I'm a hardcore fan, usually there with a vocal gang and I've been accused a lot in the past of talking to much (ok, scolded ;)) and have mostly reformed. The best alternative is to chatter at length after each skate.

TPTB have decided that the audience needs to be distracted from the long wait times to get marks under CoP :rolleyes: so they now require the arena to play music - often loudly, and Canada and the US are the worst volume offenders - from the second the skater steps off the ice until the second before the marks are announced.

Makes it hard to talk about the performance immediately afterwards - which to me is critical to attendance and being a fan. And I also find it really overstimulating. I like the quiet in between skaters to socialize, discuss and think. I don't need the Weather Girls or Adele or KT Tunstall blaring "Suddenly I See... !" while I'm trying to discuss with my friend sitting 3 seats away if Ashley fully rotated her flip or not. :slinkaway
I don't know why but this post makes me :lol: probably because it's so true. I don't get this society's need to have roaring music everywhere you go. Neighbours, restaurants and stores, some of them have it so loud it's ridiculous and of course if you say anything you get the ol':rolleyes: and nothing happens. I don't mind music, but if you can't hear each other over dinner something is wrong. It's not a club for pete's sake.

I used to encounter rude people at COI, but at GP and World competitions I've been to, most of the audience members have been respectful. The only @$$hat I encountered was Phil Hersh who kept getting up and blocking my view to get ice cream, and stood, pointed and laughed when Nobunari Oda fell in the SP at 09 Worlds :(

Seriously? He 'stood, pointed and laughed' How old is this guy and he covers figure skating? Surely a fall wasn't new to him. What a moron.

Triple Butz
04-18-2012, 04:29 AM
Seriously? He 'stood, pointed and laughed' How old is this guy and he covers figure skating? Surely a fall wasn't new to him. What a moron.

It was a pretty spectacular mishap where Oda ran into the boards, but still...

sue1967
05-03-2012, 02:55 AM
When I 1st posed the question about talking, I figured that I was just getting it aired out because I was frustrated. It would appear that I am not the only one out there, so why are there still so many rude people talking during events? Everytime I ask people to please be quiet, they all look at me like I am the crazy one. I guess that I must be crazy to want to listen to the music and enjoy the skating.

essence_of_soy
05-03-2012, 03:02 AM
I love Californication's take on showtime interruptus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYSgnfB4v4)

Rock2
05-03-2012, 03:29 AM
Californication. Love it. All the smart ass writing, it's like Juno for adults. One of my faves. Don't get me started on Kathleen Turner....lol

Tanja90
05-09-2012, 11:24 PM
At Worlds in Nice I had Frank Carrol sitting right behind me during the last group of the Men sp..a man arrived and he kept asking Carrol things...i tried not to listen and stay focused on the competition but they weren't even trying to keep a low tone voice :shuffle:(apart when Carrol was asked about Lysachek' situation, the part I was most interested of :cold:)
I found the strong smell of wine quite annoying though... :scream:

Rochelle
05-11-2012, 02:08 AM
At San Jose US Nationals this year, I had a lovely group of senior citizens sitting around me all week long.

They really were pleasant, except for the two women who would loudly -- and reliable -- sing or hum along to every song that was remotely popular. One could actually sing, but not the other one... so it was really irritating by say... Moon River program #3...:rolleyes:

At local non-qualifying competitions the big epidemic is skaters (and their families, and their giant rolling suitcases / Zuca bags) stomping around loudly across the stands while the other skaters are performing -- often times during their own competitors' programs. I've found this not only disrespectful, but sometimes very distracting while serving as a judge on panels. Stomping/running around in one's skates (w/ guards on) on metal stands in particular can be very loud.

At Indy Challenge we starting putting signs at the bottom of the stands last year to PLEASE not walk across the stands while skaters are performing. It helped quite a bit, thankfully, as it was getting outrageous in recent years.

sue1967
05-24-2012, 06:43 AM
I say that you should talk all you want between the skaters and as loudly as you want, but please keep quiet while they are skating. Mr. Nicks was sitting behind us during the pairs competition at Nice and surprise... his cell phone goes off during someone's skate. REALLY?

Johnny_Fever
05-24-2012, 12:25 PM
Were you in the front row? I kind of doubt that the skaters heard his phone.

Skittl1321
05-24-2012, 02:31 PM
I have never been to a big event, but have been to lots of local events and regionals. I talk, but in my "inside voice" (so just above a whisper).

I view skating as a sporting event. I talk at baseball games too.

If I were at a show, I would not talk more than the smallest occasional whisper, just like going to a movie. Because a show is not a sporting event. I don't go to shows.

I do not stand up and walk around while someone is skating, choosing to do that after their skate, but most of the audience, who at these events are usually skaters, do - so that tells me it doesn't bother skaters or they wouldn't do it. When I skate I can never hear people talking, but I can see them walk around. Doesn't bother me, and if it did, I need to learn to keep my head in the game, just like a pitcher needs to learn to do the same!

Oh, and to someone upthread- I am knit at baseball/basketball games just as much as I knit at skating events :) Anywhere I am sitting for a long period of time, a project goes with me.