PDA

View Full Version : Tired of people talking during events?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Johnny_Fever
04-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I really don't find it happens too often. However, the "Shhh" people annoy me. During an event where the Skatebug was used (probably 09 4CC?), I think it was Liz Manley or Kurt who was doing the commentary. They were being their usual selves (ya know, they talk alot) and people were texting them not to talk so much during the performances. This is SKATEBUG! Turn the damn thing off if you don't want to hear conversation during a performance, you nimrods!The loudest "Shhh" I ever heard was right before Kurt Browning's long program at the 1990 World's in Halifax, Nova Scotia. When Kurt first got on the ice, there was load cheering as only Canadian skating fans can do. The second Kurt made it to his starting position, the whole audience "Shhh'd" as if to say, "Shut up. He has to concentrate."

jamesy
04-13-2012, 11:02 PM
So whispering is a lost art? :confused:
sometimes that pesky music makes it hard to whisper :drama:

Johnny_Fever
04-13-2012, 11:13 PM
A friend of mine suspects that they turn the volume up higher for the higher ranking skaters. There might be some truth to that.

Bournekraatzfan
04-14-2012, 08:48 AM
There was a time when I thought so too. But then I learned that top class skaters who are capable of skating the best FS can end up in the second, or even third to last group after an unsuccessful SP, and still be able to contend for medals or at least high places (like Volosozhar/Trankov this syear ;)), and that future champions can come out of the lower groups (in my opinion, it's interesting to try to guess who those will be, and then watch them progress in the next seasons), and that even some skaters from the first group, while not so technically good, can be interesting in a way, if they truly enjoy skating and performing.

ITA. I have only been to one competition (Free Dance portion of Skate Canada International 2010), and I can honestly say I enjoyed seeing all of the teams who competed. There was something from each program that I could appreciate because they were all very skilled and had something to offer. I know this is not the same as worlds, where you have many more teams, but as long as they enjoy what they're doing, I'll enjoy watching them do it:)

I once sat in front of a chatty little group at CSOI, but I didn't say anything because the man responsible for most of the chatter just sounded so enthusiastic about being there so I figured he just couldn't contain his excitement. It helped that he wasn't being obnoxious; he only had very kind things to say about the skating (and the costumes:)).

I am lucky I haven't encountered some of the fans that others on this thread have, though. It is sad because I do think it shows disrespect to the skaters and the people around them. and I don't understand the compulsion to text/facebook/tweet, etc. can't that wait til after the program?

spikydurian
04-14-2012, 10:51 AM
and I don't understand the compulsion to text/facebook/tweet, etc. can't that wait til after the program?
They want to be the FIRST one to break the results and news to their friends! :P

paskatefan
04-14-2012, 11:39 AM
The loudest "Shhh" I ever heard was right before Kurt Browning's long program at the 1990 World's in Halifax, Nova Scotia. When Kurt first got on the ice, there was loud cheering as only Canadian skating fans can do. The second Kurt made it to his starting position, the whole audience "Shhh'd" as if to say, "Shut up. He has to concentrate."

Now that's a good shhh! totally appropriate in the situation! :)

misskarne
04-14-2012, 01:57 PM
This is probably one of the worst I've heard...

Our rink held an ISA test today, and it was quite large for us - 8 individuals (1 Prelim, 2 Elementary 1, 3 Primary, and 2 Novice) as well as a couple taking their Elementary 1 Dances. (I have the Canasta Tango stuck in my head now.)

I was in charge of collecting the music and ferrying it about, so in between I got to watch the skaters (the joke is that I'm an easy volunteer to get - promise an afternoon watching skating for free and I'm in! :lol:) I stood down the end watching with two of the other committee members and one of the coaches.

Well. This coach clearly had an issue with some new rule the ISA wants to implement (I wasn't quite sure what it was) and she proceeded to have a VERY animated discussion with one of the committtee members during the first two Primary testers! She wasn't even trying to lower her voice, and the girls were testing! I couldn't believe my ears.

The other committee member with me had a daughter testing; she told the coach to shut up or take the discussion outside. The discussion ended after that, but the coach looked very put out. I just couldn't believe it. A COACH, DURING A TESTING SESSION. Surely, surely, surely she should know better!? :confused:

Rock2
04-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Its like women who crack their gum. I HATE IT!!! If i hear it in the movies, i'm outa there...snap...snapp snapp... DRIVES ME NUTS.

OMG you're my new favorite person. So many people do this and don't they realize how irritating that sound is? It's a sound that makes me want to punch someone it's that bad. And I don't consider myself violent!

If you want the best chance of changing their behavior don't wait until you are sooooo irritated that you hit them with sarcasm or something very intense. People get their backs up very easily and it can be counter productive.

I had a woman next to me on a plane cracking her gum. I knew I wouldn't make it through the flight because I can hear it through my headphones. I said something like: "excuse me. I know many people don't mind -- and this is is my issue -- but the sound of cracking gum is something I find very distracting especially in small enclosed spaces where it can echo and seem lounder. Is there any way I can ask you to not do that during the flight?? Sorry to disturb..."

The woman was shocked. Not so much that I said something but it really didn't occur to her that this sound could irritate someone and she was cool and stopped.

I like to try that approach first to open the door nicely for a person to show some consideration. It's non-threatening and non-judgmental and avoids words like "rude" "irritating" "annoying".
If that doesn't work, then, trust me, I have escalation procedures...

agalisgv
04-15-2012, 02:30 AM
Just playing devil's advocate, but couldn't one also argue that if someone needs absolute quiet during a skate, then maybe that person should watch at home?

I know people are saying it's improper etiquette, but it seems like it's more a case of personal preference. For example, at movie theaters, the message is given at the start of each movie to not talk or text. But I don't recall any such messages given at the start of skating competitions. Taking pictures with flashes is singled out as a no-no, but not silence during skating. While clearly some prefer to watch comps in silence, I'm not quite sure why people assume that should be broadly applied, or enforced on others when that's not an explicit expectation given at the outset of the comp.

essence_of_soy
04-15-2012, 04:07 AM
I use the theatre - going principle that skating competitions or shows are a performance, not a football or hockey game.

How many people would talk and chatter during a Broadway play or show? I'd like to think not many, without getting a few looks or a talking to from the usher.

Still, I've attended competitions since the late 1980s, and since the invention of cell and iPhones, some people have no trouble getting them, playing with, answering or making calls DURING a skater's performance.

My goodness, you've paid hundreds of dollars to watch someone skate, leave the multi-tasking for the concourse or the ice resurface.

Maybe competitions should add to their announcement about no flash photography, to ask before the event that all phones be shut off and please, no talking during the competition.

RD
04-15-2012, 04:15 AM
Well, I can understand ice SHOWS, but competitions? Aren't they technically sporting events (and therefore anything goes, short of causing trouble)? Then again, I haven't been to a competition so I'm not fully sure. The skaters are there to perform for the judges, right? Unlike a show where they are performing for you and therefore your attention is requested. I dunno...

agalisgv
04-15-2012, 04:28 AM
I use the theatre - going principle that skating competitions or shows are a performance, not a football or hockey game. Except that skating competitions are sporting events--not theatrical performances.

In what other sport do people feel they have the right to demand the silence of others? I can't think of a gymnastics competition where that would happen, or any other sport.

And maybe that's the issue--perhaps some people think of skating as an artistic performance for their personal viewing pleasure rather than an actual sporting event. And so those people then try to impose conduct you would expect at an opera, but get angry when others don't fall in line.

As I said, the no talking/texting/silencing cell phones are explicitly said at the start of movies, theater productions, etc. But they aren't said at the start of sports competitions because that isn't the expectation. The reason those things aren't stated before a skating comp may be because it's a sporting event and not a theatrical production. And perhaps if people want to enjoy skating comps as if they are theatrical productions, perhaps they should stay at home where they can control the surrounding environment. People pay thousands of dollars for a Super Bowl ticket, but I dare say they don't expect to be able to watch the game in silence because of it.

Just a thought....

Aussie Willy
04-15-2012, 04:37 AM
I told a guy chewing guy sitting behind me at Worlds in 98 to close his mouth. I got thanked by most people sitting around me.

spikydurian
04-15-2012, 05:02 AM
I have a stock phrase I dole out when people insist on talking during competitions: "You know, his music is playing so loudly, we can hardly hear you talk."

(I do the same at concerts, the movies, etc.)
Classic skateboy :lol:

A.H.Black
04-15-2012, 06:12 AM
I think the real solution is finding a balance - like everything else in life.

RD had some good thoughts. Skating competitions have elements of both performance and sport. I don't think a skating competition can be compared well with any other kind of competition.

In gymnastics, as mentioned by agalisgv, at least four events are going on at one time. Coaches walk around and talk to other gymnasts, competitors warm up - all on or near the competition floor.

In skating there is a big surface of ice where only one (or two) competitors perform at one time. Every eye is trained on that competitor (or almost every eye). At major competitions, ushers often keep people from going up and down aisles during performances.

As always, it is best if the audience members show respect for those around them. I don't mind if people around me cheer on their favorite skaters and I'm sure others who have posted don't mind that kind of enthusiasm either.

What I do mind (as the original poster talked about) is constant chatter of any kind. It's a matter of respect for those around you - finding a balance.