PDA

View Full Version : Hip Hop as described by the ISU

Pages : [1] 2

Aussie Willy
04-11-2012, 07:58 AM
The ISU have released a description about Hip Hop for the forthcoming season (additional to the dance rulebook). But at the end they have some clips from SYTYCD as examples.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-205782-223005-175806-0-file,00.pdf

The definitions are just so dry.

I am thinking it could either be a complete disaster or we will see some really interesting stuff.

Bournekraatzfan
04-11-2012, 08:27 AM
thanks for posting, Aussie Willy!

no surprise that they chose more of the lyrical hip hop numbers...that style seems to lend itself most to ice dance and its basic principles of flow and use of the edge (well, at least the staccato movements are integrated with more fluid ones). I love hip hop but I have to say, it is very, very tricky...the rhythms and types of movement they demand are so complex and contrast greatly with most of the styles ice dancers grow up with (and judges are accustomed to). It is a very different way of conceptualizing movement, and I am genuinely curious to see how the junior teams will fare with this style. I wish them all the best!

Zemgirl
04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
I started reading it and figured it must be copy-pasted from Wikipedia and paraphrased a bit. Imagine my surprise to find out otherwise!

I'm not a big fan of hip-hop by any means, but maybe the right team and the right choreographer can make it work. It might be especially interesting if they look beyond American artists for music choices.

Artifice
04-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Curiously (?) I picture very well Tessa Virtue in a hip-hop dance. On the contrary I don't see how Scott Moir will do with it.

spikydurian
04-11-2012, 09:40 AM
HH is so different from ballet and ballroom dancing. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

Ozzisk8tr
04-11-2012, 11:27 AM
If it is anything like skaters performing their oh so naf routines to hip hop music at exhibitions I dread to think what we will see. At least they are trying something new though. I am looking forward to some A grade booty pops from some of the skaters though. :grope:

RUKen
04-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Curiously (?) I picture very well Tessa Virtue in a hip-hop dance. On the contrary I don't see how Scott Moir will do with it.
Only the junior competitions will have a hip hop short dance. The senior teams will do the polka.

Frau Muller
04-11-2012, 12:49 PM
.... The senior teams will do the polka.

To heck with Hiphop. I want my Yankee Polka!!!!!! :rollin:

Frau Muller
04-11-2012, 12:50 PM
deleted duplicate

kirkbiggestfan
04-11-2012, 01:00 PM
True dancers should be able to dance anything. I am glad that those juniors will get outside of their comfort zone and be challenged. They will all have to use the help of outside choreographers

GarrAarghHrumph
04-11-2012, 02:56 PM
True dancers should be able to dance anything. I am glad that those juniors will get outside of their comfort zone and be challenged. They will all have to use the help of outside choreographers

Hip hop is so different from the training skaters normally receive. Ballet, ballroom, and skating are upright and tall, with flow. Hip hop is down into the floor, grounded there; and more staccato. I've noticed that it's really hard for skaters (and dancers) to be able to make that transition convincingly. It is the rare skater, in my observation, who can do hip hop well.

Sasha'sSpins
04-11-2012, 04:19 PM
The ISU have released a description about Hip Hop for the forthcoming season (additional to the dance rulebook). But at the end they have some clips from SYTYCD as examples.

http://www.isu.org/vsite/vfile/page/fileurl/0,11040,4844-205782-223005-175806-0-file,00.pdf

The definitions are just so dry.

I am thinking it could either be a complete disaster or we will see some really interesting stuff.

I don't mean to laugh-but I just never thought I'd see the day. WTF would any ISU ice dance 'experts' know about Hip Hop? :lol::rofl:

If it is anything like skaters performing their oh so naf routines to hip hop music at exhibitions I dread to think what we will see. At least they are trying something new though. I am looking forward to some A grade booty pops from some of the skaters though. :grope:

Yes-it will be interesting to see what some of the more inventive choreographers will come up with-and hopefully it will translate well to the ice.

love_skate2011
04-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Hip Hop for Ice Dance, nice

I want to see hoe V/M and I/K interpret this
Im still at odd, imo, it won't suit Meryl lol, but we'll see

sap5
04-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Hip Hop for Ice Dance, nice

I want to see hoe V/M and I/K interpret this
Im still at odd, imo, it won't suit Meryl lol, but we'll see

As the senior competitors are not doing hip-hop, I don't know when we will see this.

love_skate2011
04-11-2012, 04:36 PM
As the senior competitors are not doing hip-hop, I don't know when we will see this.

so only juniors ? :(
so senior gets the Polka