PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68

circuscandy
09-10-2012, 03:59 AM
I lurk FSU for possibly forever. Finally join and then... continue lurking. Makes sense.

D/W have the best midline no touching step sequences, I really hope they've gone that route.

But the very idea of a midline to touch woke me up. I can't think of enough ways to say yes. Yes, please, I hope. Let it be true.

And there is no music I want to retire more than Riverdance/Lord of the Dance. I say this as a former Irish dancer. I promise that Irish dance and music culture does not revolve around Michael Flatley and his body oil.

I keep hoping that one day we'll see a team really know what they're doing with Irish music. The girl in a wig, poodle socks and horrifying solo dress. Guy wearing a glitterball shirt and black slacks. They'll do some sort of voidy two-hand reel and everything will be right in the world.

TanithandBenFan
09-10-2012, 04:21 AM
literaryfreak, I think we share a skating music brain because I wholeheartedly agree with every single one of the pieces on your No and Yes lists. :) I'd also like to add Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini to the warhorses I'd like to see.

On the list of pieces I never want D/W to use, I'd like to add all zydeco and country music. Oh, and cheesy rock and roll, lol. And Egyptian music. :lol:

literaryfreak
09-10-2012, 04:26 AM
Of the warhorses you listed that you do like, how many of them would have the "required" audible dance beat? Did you see that Tobias/Stagniunas are using that this year? I'm really eager to see what that music will look like on a dance team!

Yeah, I'm not so good with the "dance" beat...:slinkaway. Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet has a strong beat in places. I must admit, I can't see anyone outdoing Anissina/Peizerat's R&J (it is my ideal type of ice dance program), but it was a long time ago. I think Swan Lake has pieces with dance beats - D/W would have to do something different than the typical Swan Lake anyways, considering their strengths. I want to claim Nessun Dorma has a beat so badly, but I can't. Rach 2, both 1st and 2nd movements, have beats to me with the piano. Tristan & Isolde does have a beat starting a minute or two from the end.

I'm very excited too for Tobias/Stagniunas' Rachmaninoff FD, especially what pieces they use to satisfy the dance rules.

TanithandBenFan
09-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Oh, and I know they already did Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker for an exhibition, but I'd die for them to skate to A Pine Forest in Winter from the ballet. Strictly as an exhibition. :)

jobelle
09-10-2012, 04:42 AM
What I don't want to see (at least as competitive pieces for the next couple seasons):
anything very ballroom inspired ... been there, now let's move on :)
any "popular music" from any decade ... so no Sinatra medley :P, or Elvis medley, or ... or ... you get the idea.

Theatregirl1122
09-10-2012, 05:13 AM
Warhorses I wouldn't mind:
Turandot/Nessun Dorma (has an ice dance team ever done one?)
Romeo & Juliet (all versions are beautiful, but Prokofiev's is so powerful)
Swan Lake
The Mission
Rach 2
Tristan and Isolde (this isn't a warhorse)

I would totally mind the Tchaikovsky R&J. One of the most used portions of the music was used in some cleaning product commercial when I was younger (I don't even remember what, now) and I always think of that. Prokofiev's R&J is my favorite Ballet music ever. That and Rota really feel like Romeo and Juliet to me and Tchaikovsky just feels like "Soap! Toilet paper!" I like basically every other Tchaikovsky ballet. But not that one. So I agree with your list, but not Tchaikovsky.

It's harder for me to think of things I specifically wouldn't want them to skate to. Occasionally another team picks music I don't like and I"m like "thank goodness it isn't Meryl and Charlie!" like Tessa and Scott's last two FDs. But that's usually more disliking the music than thinking that it is good music but would be totally wrong for Meryl and Charlie.

I disagree with "no popular music" though. Sinatra Medley or Elvis Medley would be awful. But there are some popular artists that I'd love to see them do. Although it might be better as an exhibition. We've discussed Florence and the Machine in here before and I'd LOVE to see that.

jobelle
09-10-2012, 05:19 AM
I disagree with "no popular music" though. Sinatra Medley or Elvis Medley would be awful. But there are some popular artists that I'd love to see them do. Although it might be better as an exhibition. We've discussed Florence and the Machine in here before and I'd LOVE to see that.

Yeah, I guess I meant something other than all "popular artists". Maybe American standards or something like that. Thinking about it further, what I don't really want is a 'medley' of a specific musician (or even era).

shan
09-10-2012, 05:26 AM
I'm :wuzrobbed at the idea that we probably only have 2 FDs to speculate about. The years have passed so quickly.

ITA with literaryfreak's entire list of music not to use and most of what to use. I absolutely hate Nessun Dorma, so I wouldn't care so much for that, but I'm intrigued by the idea of a dance team using The Mission. That and Tristan/Isolde are my favorite idea.

jobelle
09-10-2012, 06:07 AM
I'm :wuzrobbed at the idea that we probably only have 2 FDs to speculate about. The years have passed so quickly.

I can't remember ... have they ever said for sure that 2014 was going to be it for them? It's hard to imagine them staying on for an entire four more years. It would be hard to stay at the top for 8 full seasons but I wonder if they'll consider 2018 if they don't win gold in Sochi?

Macassar88
09-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I would love to take a course in Egyptolgy. Just for the historical interest. If I could pick an alternate career, I would have been a history teacher.

I know we are all just joking around and so am I...because they are NOT doing an Egyptian themed FD...but Meryl would look lovely as an Egyptian (she can rock about any theme), but I'm picturing Charlie dressed like Bourzat was and it's too frightening to contemplate! :lol: Well, the eyeliner anyway...

Although Fabian rocked that eyeliner

literaryfreak
09-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I lurk FSU for possibly forever. Finally join and then... continue lurking. Makes sense.

But the very idea of a midline to touch woke me up. I can't think of enough ways to say yes. Yes, please, I hope. Let it be true.

And there is no music I want to retire more than Riverdance/Lord of the Dance. I say this as a former Irish dancer. I promise that Irish dance and music culture does not revolve around Michael Flatley and his body oil.

I keep hoping that one day we'll see a team really know what they're doing with Irish music. The girl in a wig, poodle socks and horrifying solo dress. Guy wearing a glitterball shirt and black slacks. They'll do some sort of voidy two-hand reel and everything will be right in the world.

This makes me feel better, because I could never stand Riverdance and Irish stepdancing, and I always felt bad about it, living in a predominantly Irish part of the country. My parents loved it and I never understood. I went to Riverdance on Ice a few years back (I couldn't be choosy when skaters come so rarely), left early, and ended up missing an impromptu reception where you could talk to skaters, including Michelle Kwan...because I had a headache from the music. :lol: Voidy two-hand reels sound more interesting to me!

jobelle
09-10-2012, 06:42 PM
My sister's wedding was this weekend and she had a friend teach us all at the reception how to do irish ceili dancing. So much fun, and definitely NOT Riverdancing :) Not sure how well that type of dance would translate to the ice, though.

TanithandBenFan
09-10-2012, 07:24 PM
My sister's wedding was this weekend and she had a friend teach us all at the reception how to do irish ceili dancing. So much fun, and definitely NOT Riverdancing :) Not sure how well that type of dance would translate to the ice, though.

Aldridge and Eaton had a Lord of the Dance free dance last year, and I managed to avoid watching it the entire season. I can't handle that music.

DORISPULASKI
09-10-2012, 08:27 PM
I think I found the song their icenetwork bio says they are skating to!!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SA_pgXrwfw

TBD 036

It certainly has a distinct beat :rofl:

circuscandy
09-10-2012, 11:36 PM
This makes me feel better, because I could never stand Riverdance and Irish stepdancing, and I always felt bad about it, living in a predominantly Irish part of the country. My parents loved it and I never understood. I went to Riverdance on Ice a few years back (I couldn't be choosy when skaters come so rarely), left early, and ended up missing an impromptu reception where you could talk to skaters, including Michelle Kwan...because I had a headache from the music. :lol: Voidy two-hand reels sound more interesting to me!

I've always felt totally alone in hating the use of Riverdance/LotD for anything other than Riverdance/LotD. I mean, outside of the Irish dance world. We never use that music (or use it only rarely because it's soooo played out). And LotD is mostly considered a giant joke. The concept alone of Riverdance on Ice had me ROLLING on the floor laughing and choking at the same time.

Actually, I have a massive pet peeve about dancing/performing to music with recorded taps in it. The audience loves it but I always feel like I'm seeing two pieces of choreography totally at odds with each other. I could never get into Tessa and Scott's OD because of it. I always got mad at the audience ahahaha.

Ahaha as an Irish dancer I'm probably required to say that Riverdancing is not a thing (it is a show!). Using that phrase around Irish dancers could be potentially lethal if they are wearing hardshoes at the time.

Ceili dancing is great. Two-hand reels are a form of ceili dancing (also known as figure dancing). Because indeed, arms are actually used in Irish dance and there are types of dances with more than one person. This is what I always feel gets overlooked in the Irish dance-to-skating choreography.

I was undefeated in the two-hand reel with my partner. Ohhh yeahhh. ahaha. It can get really intricate with the arms. There would be some great partner holds if anyone actually studied Irish dancers and not just the shows. And two-hands are side-by-side dances, which would be great for certain step sequences. It could be done!

I still don't know how well I'd like it, but it could be done.

And I hope Meryl and Charlie do not do it.