PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

literaryfreak
08-08-2012, 04:09 AM
I haven't seen any other teams saying they're doing Giselle so far, which is nice. May I say I love that they're doing a ballet? :P

Giselle - maybe here))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TM-jpysTOA&feature=player_detailpage#t=2367s

I like this, it feels like the right tempo and bounce!

shan
08-08-2012, 04:12 AM
I think Giselle will be adorable and fabulous! :cheer2:

Sinatra... not so much.

Yeah, I'm excited about Giselle, but I'm meh about Sinatra. I liked the Shibs FD from 2010-2011, but never did warm up to their FD this past season. It just doesn't scream "Meryl and Charlie" to me. (well at least for a FD)

Sk8fun
08-08-2012, 04:20 AM
Sinatra? really??? Not the news I wanted to hear before heading to bed. Sounds way too similar to Funny Face and the Shibs recent music which I didn't care for. Hopefully they'll either come out of Champs Camp with something new or maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and love the program. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

dinakt
08-08-2012, 04:53 AM
I love Meryl and Charlie. The Free dance news- not so much. Why does Marina think so much "inside the box" is puzzling. Especially after "Funny face" last year and the last two years of Shibs. I think Sinatra was a great song interpreter, but I doubt that's what Marina is going for. One more year of dancey superficial interpretation of the forties and fifties makes me very depressed. I hope I will be surprised, and it'll be special, somewhat unusual and playing to D/W strengths. Maybe if Marina had chosen "One more for my baby and one more for the road" I would have thought she had smth. interesting in mind.
Oh Poo.

Bournekraatzfan
08-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the news about the music selections, Doris! I really like those particular Sinatra songs ("Cheek to Cheek" has always been a favourite of mine) and, more importantly, I really like these songs for Meryl and Charlie. I think it will show off their lightness, their ease, and their control. Meryl has a lovely way of using her arms...I don't know how to describe it, but I think it has to do with the junction between her arm and shoulder. For example, in DF, she sets her arms down so lightly near the beginning of the program (during 'the bells' after the first lift--yeah, I've watched DF that many times;))...she sort of places her hands in Charlie's momentarily, then lifts them over her head. This is just a quick moment, but Meryl made it so memorable because of the control she exhibited in that move. It was so soft and pretty, and perfectly fit the music. I also think this music allows them to work another of their greatest strengths which is reaching out to the audience. It will be pure class, an American classic:)

What concerns me is Giselle. I really, really hope that the person who passed on this info is mistaken. Meryl and Charlie have so many strengths--why give them a ballet? They don't have balletic line, and that's fine as there are many dances that do not call for it. I expected them to have the best Yankee Polka of all the teams, as, imo, they have the quickest feet and the most sharpness to their movement...I hope this program still highlights these things (in parts other than the actual pattern dance itself). Don't get me wrong--I love when dancers challenge themselves, and I think D&W's line and unison definitely improved in the latter part of last season. But ballet is another story. And with trained ballerinas like Tessa Virtue and Elena Ilinykh out there, I would want to stay the heck away from a ballet! I am sure I will still like it, because it's Meryl and Charlie...I just wanted something different for them. Anyways, I can't wait to see their new programs, especially their FD. I also wonder if they will keep DF: the show version as their EX. I don't think I'll ever tire of watching it:)

Piper
08-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Meryl has a lovely way of using her arms...I don't know how to describe it, but I think it has to do with the junction between her arm and shoulder. For example, in DF, she sets her arms down so lightly near the beginning of the program (during 'the bells' after the first lift--yeah, I've watched DF that many times;))...she sort of places her hands in Charlie's momentarily, then lifts them over her head. This is just a quick moment, but Meryl made it so memorable because of the control she exhibited in that move. It was so soft and pretty, and perfectly fit the music.

I LOVE the way Meryl uses her hands, it always mesmerizes me. And these small gestures in DF...hmmm.

I'm not very conserned about Giselle, though, I hope it will be light and charming. :) I don't think they'll use classical ballet moves.

DORISPULASKI
08-08-2012, 03:00 PM
I hope they will be using the music, not the story from Giselle, and to highlight that, I would expect them to be using non-Giselle costumes.

The YP is deliberately non-balletic, and one of the step explicitly requires the heels, not the toes, to be pointed. So a balletic treatment of the Giselle music would be a non-starter, IMO.

If they do Giselle as deliberately non-ballet, I think it could make an interesting SD.

As to Sinatra, I expect the order to be

Strangers in the Night first, followed by

Almost Like Being in Love and Dancing Cheek to Cheek in either order.

not the other way around

missysays
08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Well, I'm with the rest of you that are slightly deflated by the Sinatra FD choice. I was hoping for something modern and interesting - something that would really let their hair down and take a chance in this pre-Olympic season. Because if they stay in competition through the Olympic year, they'll almost have to go back to a classically themed program especially with the Olympics being in Russia.

But having said the above I do think the Sinatra music has a chance at being stirring and romantic I'm thinking about Baryshnikov's Sinatra Suite Dances choreographed by Twyla Tharp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHn7JbamF0U

Meryl and Charlie would have to really bring a new level of romantic intensity and intimacy to their character interpretation to make this program work.

Also, if you're doing Sinatra it might be more interesting to have the program go soft and moody at the end with One For My Baby, One More For the Road instead of the uber happy pieces they've picked to go with Strangers in the Night.

As for SD choice, I'm neutral about the Giselle choice- I guess I'll have to see it to be able to weigh in properly. I was secretly hoping they'd skate to something like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers because I thought it would really suit them. But I guess we'll have to see what C/L do for this concept.

Theatregirl1122
08-08-2012, 04:14 PM
How does one even go from dancing "cheek to cheek" to then being "strangers in the night," thematically?

:rofl:

^ A sudden case of amnesia? :lol:

I am certainly looking forward to Giselle, though! Is it safe to guess that they'll be the only ones using this for the SD?

:rofl:

Perhaps it is the other way around? Maybe they are strangers in the night and then end up dancing cheek to cheek? Or perhaps they break up dramatically and find out they never really knew each other in the first place.

I'm confused by why anyone, both in this thread and in the V&M thread, would assume that Meryl and Charlie have any intention of actually doing a ballet SD. The SD is a Polka. It's not going to look anything like Elena and Nikita's FD two years ago where their theme was to actually have an FD that resembled a ballet. The dance will be a Polka/March. They'll do the YP (which they are adorable at) and then a Polka/March. I really doubt that the music they are dancing to happening to be from a ballet will hurt them. It would be an awfully large intuitive leap for people to go from Meryl and Charlie doing a Polka to Meryl and Charlie's Polka music happens to have been originally written for a ballet to some of these other couples, who are also doing Polkas, are more trained in ballet so lets compare these teams doing Polkas on the strength of their ballet skills. They'll always be heavily compared to Tessa and Scott, that's unavoidable, but I just think it's a little much to assume they will be compared to Tessa and Scott even more than usual and specifically on ballet skills because the music they are using happens to be written for the ballet.

(Sorry for the rant, this has been bothering me all day) I think Giselle will be adorable. I feel like the Polka is just such a fabulous theme for Meryl and Charlie that, especially if they don't have the same music as 80 other people, they are going to look great no matter what they skate to.

jobelle
08-08-2012, 06:08 PM
If anything a more refined polka may do wonders for Meryl and Charlie. We know that they can do fast and perky at lightning speed but if they had gone folk or musical theatre they may have opened themselves up to criticisms of being wild and out of control. The more refined nature of the Giselle music may help them refine the polka, demonstrating control.
Of course this is only conjecture but I think that Giselle will really stand out among the other polkas that we know of.

Piper
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Meryl and Charlie would have to really bring a new level of romantic intensity and intimacy to their character interpretation to make this program work.

Maybe, that's the point? What if they consider it as their personal challenge in the pre-Olympic season?

sap5
08-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I think this FD is a great choice for D/W. It will give them a chance to really work on characterization, an area I think they could stand to improve. I like how they constantly strive to be better and pick programs to bring that about. Good on them!

mollymgr
08-09-2012, 02:06 AM
I want angsty programs/music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJU20qb4wPk#t=01m33s

Ironically, I am kind of disappointed with the trend of these "uplifting" themes :fragile:

nuge
08-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I want angsty programs/music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJU20qb4wPk#t=01m33s

Ironically, I am kind of disappointed with the trend of these "uplifting" themes :fragile:

I'm with you aren't we going have enough perk with all the Polka's ? ugh :shuffle:
I need a CB Tosca Carmen or heck even dare I say it a Romeo and Juliet :rofl:
Well maybe already two Carmens so that's a start :D

What I would like is a dance something like B/K MMATLP /Heart Attack .That was neither Fluffy nor angsty .

Theatregirl1122
08-09-2012, 04:30 PM
CB?