PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mollymgr
08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
The only song I can stand is Cheek to Cheek. Unless, they speed it up to some remix Sinatra minus the lyrics where you can't tell it is Sinatra, I'd be ok with it :lol:
I do want to wait and see how it unfolds. There is a lot going on this season.

DORISPULASKI
08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Obi Wan Kenobi, if you're the maven at Champs Camp, you're my only hope.

One thing about Sinatra--like Funny Face, his songs are so far before lyrics were allowed in dance that I don't think I remember any ice dancers performing to him...but that doesn't mean I like this choice, despite Sinatra being a much better singer than Astaire ;)

PinkFeathers
08-07-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm holding off my OMG WORLD ENDING!!! until after seeing it! :slinkaway

It sounds fun, and light-hearted and I'm not as doom and gloom as the rest of you. I am shocked the info was released so soon after Meryl's tweet, but I don't think someone would go and hack IN just to edit one page :rofl:

martyross
08-07-2012, 11:47 PM
I like Cheek to Cheek and think they can do a good job with that. Not a fan of the other songs but then I wasn't a fan of any of the Funny Face songs (liked them less than Sinatra) and V&M made them work for them so it can be done.

i think Gershwin music is quite different from "Cheek to cheek". those songs sounds much more like usual Shibs stuff. that's why i'm confused about this choice. can't Zueva just find stuff that suits the dancers better. what's in her mind, I wonder. btw maybe fans won't go crazy for this music, but Davis/White will be fine. it's a safe, conservative choice, it should garantee high component scores.

jobelle
08-07-2012, 11:55 PM
So what does everyone think ... are these music choices Charlie-butterfly-leap friendly? :lol:

mollymgr
08-07-2012, 11:58 PM
OK this version of Strangers in the night is slightly more tolerable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyEksqCKx2o

It is awfully slow though :yawn:

marbri
08-08-2012, 12:18 AM
i think Gershwin music is quite different from "Cheek to cheek". those songs sounds much more like usual Shibs stuff. that's why i'm confused about this choice. can't Zueva just find stuff that suits the dancers better. what's in her mind, I wonder. btw maybe fans won't go crazy for this music, but Davis/White will be fine. it's a safe, conservative choice, it should garantee high component scores.

Oh I wasn't comparing Cheek to Cheek to Gershwin music, I actually like the song Cheek to Cheek. ;) I do however find the other two selections as unappealing as the music in Funny Face was yet FF was successful so I allow for the possibility this can also be successful. I think there are a lot of Sinatra songs that are much more appealing than the choices they seem to have picked but wonder if Marina or the teams themselves are trying to answer their critics while challenging themselves. The two painfully slower Sinatra pieces are going to push D&W to finish off their moves and allow them the opportunity to show they are capable of matching the movement and emotion and connection of V&M. In turn V&M will now skate to a well known skating warhorse and will be challenged to show us something we haven't seen before which will be quite the challenge (particularly in light of the fact C&L, charming little duo that they are, will be skating the same theme).

The choices are nothing that I ever imagined but I think both teams will have to work their asses off to make them work and hold onto the top two places so in that sense I think it will be an interesting battle.

literaryfreak
08-08-2012, 12:59 AM
The Shibutanis' icenetwork bio also has a listing for 2013 music, but it's listed as "TBD." Maybe I haven't looked at the icenetwork bios in a while, but it looks like other parts of D/W and the Shibs' bios were changed as well? It's formatted differently and there are new question/answers. It looks to me like they randomly decided to update today. I noticed Alissa Czisny and Denney/Coughlin have a heading for 2013 music as well.

Could this be Champs Camp related, since there were changes made to D/W and the Shibs, but neither Tobias/Stagniunas, Chock/Bates, nor Hubbell/Donahue? I don't remember the criteria for being invited.

shan
08-08-2012, 01:05 AM
I thought they might be starting with National Champs but Jeremy Abbott's bio looks the same.

DORISPULASKI
08-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Established in 2007, Champs Camp is an annual three-to-four-day conference attended by U.S. Figure Skating athletes who are asigned to an ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating event and their primary or secondary coaches

Both C&B (CoC) and H&D (2 GP assignments) should be invited.

T&S are not US skaters, and would not be invited.

The extra team TBA for Skate America should be there, if it is not C&B

Additiona Lynn & Logan (Skate America), D&W, and the Shibs will be there.

Zoueva & Shpilband will both be eligible to be at this camp.

literaryfreak
08-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Both C&B (CoC) and H&D (2 GP assignments) should be invited.

T&S are not US skaters, and would not be invited.

The extra team TBA for Skate America should be there, if it is not C&B

Additiona Lynn & Logan (Skate America), D&W, and the Shibs will be there.

Zoueva & Shpilband will both be eligible to be at this camp.

Thanks. Oops, I completely forgot T/S don't skate for the US.

It does seem rather haphazard how someone at icenetwork updated bios then. And why D/W are the only ones with music listed and not "TBD."

Shall Meryl have the traditional Giselle costume, in blue?

mollymgr
08-08-2012, 02:39 AM
It does seem rather haphazard how someone at icenetwork updated bios then. And why D/W are the only ones with music listed and not "TBD."

They wanted to let us know ASAP since we were not expecting any news until Champs Camp or even later. I do see Icenetwork bungling things here and there, but I have a feeling this one is accurate, fortunately or unfortunately. :)

TanithandBenFan
08-08-2012, 04:00 AM
I think Giselle will be adorable and fabulous! :cheer2:

Sinatra... not so much.

literaryfreak
08-08-2012, 04:03 AM
How does one even go from dancing "cheek to cheek" to then being "strangers in the night," thematically?

:rofl:

lmarie086
08-08-2012, 04:06 AM
^ A sudden case of amnesia? :lol:

I am certainly looking forward to Giselle, though! Is it safe to guess that they'll be the only ones using this for the SD?