PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

DORISPULASKI
07-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Absolutely.

And they are improving every year, too.

MarieJessup
07-14-2012, 08:05 PM
I saw this video of an early practice of Polovetsian Dance and was impressed with how much Meryl and Charlie have matured in so few years, although I thought they were pretty amazing even then.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cniIXcGD-nc

literaryfreak
07-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I saw this video of an early practice of Polovetsian Dance and was impressed with how much Meryl and Charlie have matured in so few years, although I thought they were pretty amazing even then.

New footage, awesome! This is such a treat, watching them work through new choreography. I adore this FD of theirs - they make such beautiful shapes throughout it (especially the beginning), really draws the audience in. I always look forward to this aspect in their new programs.

It sounds like the music cut was a little different in this video, too, no? That last bit sounds more like the track Domnina/Shabalin used the same year.

TanithandBenFan
07-15-2012, 01:21 AM

Yay for a new video! The music definitely sounds different than the final cut. I love seeing practice videos. I'd buy a DVD of D/W practices. :lol:

~tapdancer~
07-15-2012, 02:37 AM
Hey MarieJessup, welcome! Thanks for the link, that was awesome to see. And yes, literaryfreak, that final music cut? They definitely didn't use it, thank goodness. :lol:
Oh, and TABfan, yeah, I'd totally buy a DVD of D/W practices, too!

ballettmaus
07-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Its a foregone conclusion they will get eliminated either this time or next. Its an opnion poll like most threads around here that discuss skaters. You like them or you don't. Their competitive record is outstanding including the US's first world champions in ice dance. In US skating they will never be a weak link. They will be remembered as one of the greats.

It's not about opinions if you read the discussions. :P Of course, we all know it is but the way people talked in that thread it sounded like they weren't voting according to their personal opinion.

Personally, I think someone who wins the US's first ice dance title and has D/W's track record is a much stronger link than a Russian team who dominated in an era when being Russian was a deadlock on the medals/gold in ice dance.
But that, too, is just my opinion ;)

pani
07-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Personally, I think someone who wins the US's first ice dance title and has D/W's track record is a much stronger link than a Russian team who dominated in an era when being Russian was a deadlock on the medals/gold in ice dance.
But that, too, is just my opinion ;)

B-K were out early, but they were first ever North American ice dance World champions during russian style domination era. When D-W won there title (and will win much more) during North American team domination in ice dance.

ballettmaus
07-15-2012, 09:00 AM
B-K were out early, but they were first ever North American ice dance World champions during russian style domination era. When D-W won there title (and will win much more) during North American team domination in ice dance.

B/K won under the 6.0 system when Worlds was in DC and L/A had a really bad FD and the dominant teams (AP, F-P/M) had retired the year before. As far as I remember, it didn't come as a surprise that B/K won that year.
Yet, D/W had some tough competition with V/M despite her injury. Didn't they win the SD at Worlds that year?
Apart from that, I mentioned US and not North American; I cannot recall any Canadian teams coming close to win a title after or before B/K before V/M took over whereas there were a few top US teams.

And I think that as many faults as the current judging system has, it's fairer than the previous one. I truly doubt it would be a North American dominated era if it were still the 6.0 system and I doubt V/M and D/W would have won the medals they have already won. They would have had to wait their turn, climb the ranks and wait for the skaters in front of them to retire. If you look at the results from the 6.0 system you'll see that a young team overtaking a veteran team in the top 5 rarely happened.
So, I think that D/W and V/M actually have to be the best skaters of the era in order to be the dominant skaters whereas I think that it was just Navka/Kostomarov's turn to be at the top.

And in general, I don't think one can compare dominance under the 6.0 system to dominance under the current judging system because, as I said, under the 6.0 system it was more a wait-your-turn system and much easier to fix results. Also, the skating skills required were entirely different and it was much harder to compare the programs so it was a lot more subjective. Which I guess is why the system was so vulnerable.

In other words, I don't think it can be decided by a teams dominance whether they're the weakest link or not because of the different circumstances skaters skate under.

Again, this is how I see it :)

pani
07-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Before they won gold, B-K fight so many years for the podium. Nobody want to see North Americans at the podium in that time. B-K made the way much easy for B-A. V-M and D-W didnt had such difficulties. IMHO.

mollymgr
07-15-2012, 04:18 PM
In other words, I don't think it can be decided by a teams dominance whether they're the weakest link or not because of the different circumstances skaters skate under.

I really don't see a point of that poll other than entertainment value in voting for your personal preference(indirectly). It is like asking if apples are the weakest link among oranges and other fruit.

MarieJessup
07-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the welcome, ~Tapdancer~. I'm new to posting here, but I've enjoyed reading other's comments for quite a while. I love Meryl and Charlie and only first noticed them when they did the Eleanor Rigby program. I regularly check for new videos on YouTube, usually Grace beats me to it. She is so on top of what's new. So, I was surprised when I came across the practice video that looks like it had only been recently posted.

blue_idealist
07-16-2012, 04:36 AM
Apart from that, I mentioned US and not North American; I cannot recall any Canadian teams coming close to win a title after or before B/K before V/M took over whereas there were a few top US teams.

*cough* Tracey Wilson/Rob McCall.. Marie-France Dubreuil/Patrice Lauzon.. *cough*

literaryfreak
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Has anyone read this icenetwork article (http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120716&content_id=35019498&vkey=ice_news), about Capellini/Lanotte working with Igor? It mentions that Marina Klimova spent a few weeks at Igor's camp.

I'm so jealous, :drama: I've longed for Marina Klimova to work with D/W for years now too. Over the course of the year, something about Meryl has begun to remind me of Marina Klimova, specifically in Die Fledermaus. I cannot put my finger on it.

sap5
07-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Wow. Marina Klimova was working a bit with Igor? That sounds very awesome.

I wonder if D/W will move to Igor for the Olympic year? I can understand why they didn't commit to him right away, but once he's established, maybe they could go.

DORISPULASKI
07-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Yes, that's what I am hoping will happen, too.