PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

jobelle
06-05-2012, 07:09 AM
Where did Meryl and Charlie say that they supported his firing? All we've officially heard from them is that they are staying in canton and a very pc thank you to igor for all their years together. They haven`t given a reason for staying with marina instead of leaving with Igor ... it might be about stability and how rooted they are in the area. or not. But to my knowledge they have not said anything specifically supporting or disagreeing with igor`s firing.

missysays
06-05-2012, 07:10 AM
There is a part of me that has a sinking feeling for Meryl and Charlie. It was already a hard situation but now if they stay with Marina until the end of this season and it doesn't work out they will be up against the Olympic season with no real transition time to adjust to any new coaching/training environment.

I hope for their sake that this decision works out for them and that Marina can deliver the choreography and guidance that they need to be competitive at the top level.

Sigh.

Vash01
06-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Where did Meryl and Charlie say that they supported his firing? All we've officially heard from them is that they are staying in canton and a very pc thank you to igor for all their years together. They haven`t given a reason for staying with marina instead of leaving with Igor ... it might be about stability and how rooted they are in the area. or not. But to my knowledge they have not said anything specifically supporting or disagreeing with igor`s firing.

They are just being diplomatic, which is good for them. If they accept Marina as their coach, I see that as an indirect support of the firing (since it sounds like she was the initiator), unless staying in Canton is so important to them that they would risk their skating career and accept any coach that Marina brings in for them.

At this point I am speculating that if a top team decides to leave Canton, it could be V&M. There seemed to be some undercurrent of tension between them and the rest of the team, throughout last season. This could be their opportunity to find a more comfortable situation, and separate themselves from D&W.

mia joy
06-05-2012, 07:54 AM
I was honestly hoping they would leave Canton, but I'm gonna trust them that they know what's best for them.

nevertheless, Igor will be missed :(

kosjenka
06-05-2012, 01:23 PM
When I read this about Igor being fired I immediately hoped that D&W would leave Canton as well. Marins has always favored Tessa and Scott and with Igor as a coach, it was balanced, without Igor it could all be very misbalanced.

I dont understand why they kicked him out...
Maybe something else happened that is not public. This makes no sense. How come Marina is so powerful to kick him out?

sap5
06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
They are just being diplomatic, which is good for them. If they accept Marina as their coach, I see that as an indirect support of the firing (since it sounds like she was the initiator), unless staying in Canton is so important to them that they would risk their skating career and accept any coach that Marina brings in for them.

If they announced they were leaving Marina to go with Igor, where would they go? Igor has no ice, no training center, no nothing at the moment. Meanwhile, Arctic Ice has an established program where they have ice time, personal trainers, and everything else they need (except for Igor, of course). I wouldn't chuck all of that two years before the Olympics. I'd issue a PC response like Meryl did, and wait to see if Igor can get things up and running, before I switch to him.

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
When I read this about Igor being fired I immediately hoped that D&W would leave Canton as well. Marins has always favored Tessa and Scott and with Igor as a coach, it was balanced, without Igor it could all be very misbalanced.

I dont understand why they kicked him out...
Maybe something else happened that is not public. This makes no sense. How come Marina is so powerful to kick him out?
This past season, I actually felt that both Marina and Igor favored Davis and White which is why there was a lot of grumbling among Tessa and Scott fans to have them change coaches.
Anyway, I think that both of the teams know themselves the best and will do what they think is best for themselves.

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 04:24 PM
If they announced they were leaving Marina to go with Igor, where would they go? Igor has no ice, no training center, no nothing at the moment. Meanwhile, Arctic Ice has an established program where they have ice time, personal trainers, and everything else they need (except for Igor, of course). I wouldn't chuck all of that two years before the Olympics. I'd issue a PC response like Meryl did, and wait to see if Igor can get things up and running, before I switch to him.

This.
I wonder where Igor would go. I remember hearing people mention Ann Arbor and trying to share ice with Nechaeva and Chesnichenko.

DORISPULASKI
06-05-2012, 04:59 PM
There are, so I hear, quite a lot of rinks in the Detroit area.

Also, even if all 3 teams stay based in Canton, there is nothing keeping any of them from buying some time with Igor, if they feel they need it, once he has gotten a contract with a rink. In fact, it might be very smart to do so, if only for political reasons.

What the rink has done here is make it clear to Marina, (as well as to Igor), that their goal is to retain the top skaters rather than coaches.

In the past, L&T left in favor of B&A, and B&A left when V&M and D&W were the bright young things in favor with Z&S, and there wasn't a peep in the paper from the rink management.

In fact, I wouldn't wonder whether Tanith's experience didn't inform all 3 teams actions and choices in this case.

lmarie086
06-05-2012, 06:58 PM
I hope all of you awesome folks are at the 2014 Nationals in BOSTON (cause I will be and we should totally have a D/W fans corner-or just take over the arena, you know).

:)

literaryfreak
06-05-2012, 07:07 PM
I hope all of you awesome folks are at the 2014 Nationals in BOSTON (cause I will be and we should totally have a D/W fans corner-or just take over the arena, you know).

:)

BEST news I've heard all week!! I will be there whatever it takes. Or hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

DORISPULASKI
06-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Cool. I definitely have to make it to Boston, even if I have to commute ;)

Vash01
06-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Sorry. Boston is too far for me. I hope you all enjoy.

nlyoung
06-05-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm a bit surprised at how certain some posters were that D/W would and even should follow Igor in a split. He may have been responsible for their technical development early on, but they are clearly strong enough now that they don't need instruction, just extra eyes to make sure they stay on track. Year after year we've had to listen to how Igor is such a technical genius, but also numerous complaints that he recycles the footwork in COP programs he choreographs. If that's the case, what do they really need him for anymore anyway? ;) In contrast, their two best free programs have been "babies" of Marina, S&D and DF. It's her artistic vision, not Igor's technical coaching, that have made the greatest impression in recent years.

On the other hand, some have pointed out that Marina appeared to clearly favor D/W this year, both in giving them the "special" program, and in her comments after their loss at the WC. What some people fail to recognize is that she has repeatedly said that both top teams get her best work, and may the best team on the night win. In Marina's opinion, this year that team was D/W, who appeared to skate clean, as opposed to V/M who weren't perfect. If you think about it, it makes sense if Marina is going to stick to her view that all things but performance on the day are equal between the two teams. I'm not going to get into who deserved the win that night as that's been beaten to death, but Marina "voting" for D/W is perfectly in character for her. It is true that Marina has also talked about how much she happens to love their free dance this year, but had D/W made little mistakes and V/M had the "perfect" skate, I'm sure we would have had a different reaction from her.

I guess my point is that even after the events of this season, I still believe that Marina has the best interests of both teams at heart. Whether she has the political clout of Igor is another thing, and if anything, this is where all of the teams are going to be losing in this divorce...

sap5
06-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I guess my point is that even after the events of this season, I still believe that Marina has the best interests of both teams at heart. Whether she has the political clout of Igor is another thing, and if anything, this is where all of the teams are going to be losing in this divorce...

What makes you think Marina has less political clout than Igor?