PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mia joy
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
it is just unfortunate that they were mentioned by the rink management seemingly without an opportunity to speak to the issue and clarify their position.

Well, technically, Meryl was given an opportunity, but "declined comment". But honestly, I can't blame her. If my safe, scheduled training life started to fall apart like this, talking about it to the media would be the last thing I'd like to do. I just hope everyone figures out the best solution for themselves in all this.

Bournekraatzfan
06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Well, technically, Meryl was given an opportunity, but "declined comment". But honestly, I can't blame her. If my safe, scheduled training life started to fall apart like this, talking about it to the media would be the last thing I'd like to do. I just hope everyone figures out the best solution for themselves in all this.

I read somewhere that she may have been asked by the USFSA not to comment (but this is just speculation)...and I imagine it must be awkward for the skaters mentioned, because they may feel they are not in a position to comment...they may not feel comfortable making public statements about what they perhaps see as a private matter.

also, here is an article in a Russian publication posted in the V&M thread (thanks pani):

http://www.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20120604/599672867.html

TanithandBenFan
06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Thought I'd do a blog entry today - Team Canton - Thanks for the Memories (http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/2012/06/team-canton-thanks-for-memories.html)

mollymgr
06-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Thought I'd do a blog entry today - Team Canton - Thanks for the Memories (http://jennifercomeaux.blogspot.com/2012/06/team-canton-thanks-for-memories.html)

Thanks TanithandBenFan. It all seemed so peachy in Canton until this crazy news. It just confirmed that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I just can't understand why this had to happen now :(

semogal
06-05-2012, 01:19 AM
The news article referred to the skaters as "kids" but so far both Igor and Marina are the ones coming off as childish. There will be no winners in this situation. Time is on the coaches side to recover reputations and prestige. For the skaters all this drama so close to Sochi does not bode well. My heart goes out to Meryl and Charlie.

Theatregirl1122
06-05-2012, 02:56 AM
I hope D&S don't have to look for another coach at this point in their career, when they clearly want to win the OGM in 2014. School can wait, from my perspective, but it will depend on how they view the situation. I feel sorry for them, and other skaters.

D&S?

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the only accurate information provided in that article is that Igor has been asked to leave Canton. The original article was totally implausible to begin with and Jacqui White's comment on the article reinforces that.

Haven't Meryl and Charlie been with Igor the longest of his current teams? That might partially explain why he is planning to talk to them first.

Obviously this whole shake up seems like it will destabilize their training environment at a critical time. I hope that it will end up being a positive change for them.

DORISPULASKI
06-05-2012, 04:07 AM
It would be nice if Igor could use the UMich ice rink...that would be really convenient for D&W, S&S, and Evan Bates for sure.

literaryfreak
06-05-2012, 04:12 AM
Lynn Rutherford just tweeted that D/W will stay at Arctic Edge with Marina.

Source: https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/209841715618652161

Wow.

girlscouse62
06-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Does this mean T/S won't?

~tapdancer~
06-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Lynn Rutherford has tweeted a USFS press release that M&C and the Shibitanis will be training at Arctic Edge with Marina Z as head coach. Wow. No mention yet about V/M but then there wouldn't be from the USFSA. I simply cannot imagine what is really going on behind the scenes.

Didn't we wonder, though, about how Igor seemed a little disconnected from them over the last season? Seems like we noticed something didn't seem right. I will still admire him greatly for all that he accomplished for US ice dance, going back to the 90s. I wish him all the best. But my main concern is for the well-being of Meryl and Charlie and their skating future, so if this decision is the best one for them then I sincerely hope it turns out to be the right one.

Macassar88
06-05-2012, 04:29 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20120604/SPORTS18/120604082/Meryl-Davis-Charlie-White-choose-Marina-Zoueva-new-head-coach?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports
Another link confirming
According to Zueva, the top 3 teams will remain in Canton.

Bournekraatzfan
06-05-2012, 04:40 AM

Thank you TaBFan, that was a great entry. and thanks also for the link to the icenetwork article.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the only accurate information provided in that article is that Igor has been asked to leave Canton. The original article was totally implausible to begin with and Jacqui White's comment on the article reinforces that.

Haven't Meryl and Charlie been with Igor the longest of his current teams? That might partially explain why he is planning to talk to them first.

Obviously this whole shake up seems like it will destabilize their training environment at a critical time. I hope that it will end up being a positive change for them.

I agree. We are hearing so many different things, and I feel uncomfortable drawing any conclusions at this time. I'm just hoping for the best.

Lynn Rutherford has tweeted a USFS press release that M&C and the Shibitanis will be training at Arctic Edge with Marina Z as head coach. Wow. No mention yet about V/M but then there wouldn't be from the USFSA. I simply cannot imagine what is really going on behind the scenes.

Thanks for the info, ~tapdancer~. I wonder if there is any news on Madison and Evan (doesn't he also attend UMich? though, perhaps Igor will stay in the Detroit area) or any of his other teams.

ETA: thanks, Macassar88. I wonder what the other teams will do. There is still no word on Chock and Bates, and I also wonder about Tobias and Stagniunas.

literaryfreak
06-05-2012, 05:32 AM
I hope D/W can maintain a good relationship with Igor. I can understand where their decision came from. But it will be :yikes: if Igor feels hurt and starts trashing them in the press. Enough former skaters are not fans of their athletic style.

Currently watching all of D/W's Igor programs in a weird form of mourning. Eleanor Rigby :fragile:

Vash01
06-05-2012, 07:00 AM
I hope D/W can maintain a good relationship with Igor. I can understand where their decision came from. But it will be :yikes: if Igor feels hurt and starts trashing them in the press. Enough former skaters are not fans of their athletic style.

Currently watching all of D/W's Igor programs in a weird form of mourning. Eleanor Rigby :fragile:

I wouldn't blame him if he did that. Many fired employees are bitter toward those who fired them (even though D&W did not actually do the firing, they did support it, based on their statement).

Don't forget how unceremoniously Brian Orser was fired by Yu na Kim after he coached her to an OGM. It's hard to overcome strong emotions after stuff like that. I am just sad to see great partnerships suddenly end unhappily.

Frank Carroll and MIchelle Kwan somehow maintained a positive relationship, at least publicly.

Vash01
06-05-2012, 07:06 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20120604/SPORTS18/120604082/Meryl-Davis-Charlie-White-choose-Marina-Zoueva-new-head-coach?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports
Another link confirming
According to Zueva, the top 3 teams will remain in Canton.

The article says that the top US teams will remain in Canton, but there has been no word from Canada or V&M. I am not sure I trust Zoueva at this point. Only actions will speak for themselves. It does sound like USFSA is involved and wants the US skaters to stay put.