PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

lmarie086
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
^ITA, I can't imagine Meryl and Charlie are pleased that they've been presented this way. I doubt we'll ever know the full story but I hope things are clarified at least a little, as everything reads as very muddled right now.

I feel for the teams-not that there's every a good time for something like this to happen, but easy before the season preceding the Olympics.

DORISPULASKI
06-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Well, Marina has been through this before with G&G.

Both D&W and V&M will in all likelihood retire from competitve skating after the Olympics. There really isn't a big pro skating business, as there was in the days of Katia & Sergei. So in a little over a year and a half, what will be left in Canton is the Shibs and "the new kids." Igor has apparently scarfed up "the new kids"-it might appear to Marina that Igor was downsizing the operation, and she proposed he should go instead of her...in which case, the best defense is a good offense.

Or any of a 100 other scenarios, none of which require evil or criminal activity by either coach-just a single-minded will to come out on top (and still making the big bucks).

literaryfreak
06-04-2012, 04:43 PM
There's a lot of fishy stuff in this article, like placing the blame on the skaters and then it being edited to shift focus to Marina and Igor's strife. I am saving a copy in the event we see even more edits. What a Monday for Canton.

And only JoAnn Barnas has reported it. No signs of Phil Hersh or Lynn Rutherford.

TanithandBenFan
06-04-2012, 04:50 PM
There's a lot of fishy stuff in this article, like placing the blame on the skaters and then it being edited to shift focus to Marina and Igor's strife. I am saving a copy in the event we see even more edits. What a Monday for Canton.

And only JoAnn Barnas has reported it. No signs of Phil Hersh or Lynn Rutherford.

After Lynn's cover story on Igor & Marina and their big happy family in SKATING mag a few months ago, it will be pretty funny for her to report on their divorce.....

The skaters being blamed with no quotes offered from them is one of the fishiest things I've ever seen in an article.

dinakt
06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
The story, as told in the Free Press, sounds completely implausible.

It claims there was coordinated action between the 3 teams, complaining because they were not getting any attention to both USFS and the rink, when Tessa & Scott were on CSOI tour from April 27th to May 18th and then went on vacation. And Charlie was tweeting beach photos of him & Tanith. And Maia & Alex were in Hawaii with Ross Miner eating sushi.

Something sounds fishy to me, and not just the sushi, particularly in the light of Jacqui White's post.

Indeed.
Constant references to D/W and V/M as "kids" left a very bad taste, as well.
Meryl and Charlie must be in such a difficult situation, my heart goes out to them.

sap5
06-04-2012, 05:13 PM
What's odd to me is how Shpilband said he was meeting with Davis/White on Monday, but no mention of the Shibutanis or V/M. Is he only meeting with D/W? And if all three teams wanted him booted, why would he mention only meeting with D/W?

missysays
06-04-2012, 05:30 PM
D/W has always been the most pacific and diplomatic of all the teams so I'm not surprised that he wants to meet with them first. They would probably be the most open to talking with him and maintaining a civil relationship - even if they don't stay with him for training.

As for all the posters who are taking issue with the use of the words "kids" to describe the skaters. I don't see anything too terribly wrong with that word. It just shows the long relationship these coaches have had with these skaters- they've literally known them since they were children- at least in the case of the Shibs and D/W. And V/M came when they were in their early teens- right? I think it's the equivalent of having your parents or their friends calling you kids even if you're an adult.

Which just makes it all the more sad that this rift has happened.

On a side note, I wonder if the reason Igor felt the need to work exclusively with some of the younger teams was that when he co-coached with Marina that his views weren't listened to as much- especially in choreographic matters. That came through in some of the articles in the past even when they were all getting along. And he has that right to work with some younger teams where his vision can have full sway. It's too bad they couldn't make it work out together in the long run.

TanithandBenFan
06-04-2012, 05:32 PM
What's odd to me is how Shpilband said he was meeting with Davis/White on Monday, but no mention of the Shibutanis or V/M. Is he only meeting with D/W? And if all three teams wanted him booted, why would he mention only meeting with D/W?

I wonder if it's because Meryl and Charlie are two of the elder statesmen of the group and are considered leaders there. Maybe he feels like he can get a good read on the situation from them.

Vash01
06-04-2012, 05:37 PM

The Shibutanis are rather young and newcomers to the group, relatively speaking. From Scott's comments after competitions, may be Shpilband does not feel that V&M would be that diplomatic. May be he feels closer to D&W who have been very gracious in K&C and in their interviews. I would love to know (as would other fans too) about how this thing precipitated so suddenly, or may be there were signals earlier that Igor missed? Regardless, this is a very unfortunate situation for everyone concerned.

TanithandBenFan
06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Icenetwork article - Shpilband looks for new rink in MI

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120604&content_id=32741600&vkey=ice_news

isamelia
06-04-2012, 05:51 PM
I think Igor was meant to be blindsided by this~ this way it was a fait accompli and he was not able to fight for his job. If he had gotten wind of it in advance, there may have been a different outcome.

Now that it is done, I have to think the skaters that go with him will be better off. At least that is how I hope it works out, for everyone's sakes. In this economy, there has to be a rink in Michigan that would welcome him with open arms.

Vash01
06-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Can he go back to the Detroit Skating Club? How far is it from Canton? can his skaters continue to attend the same school if they move to DSC?

I hope Igor finds a rink that he likes and I hope most of his top skaters can go there with him. Somehow I feel that V&M may stay with Marina.

Bournekraatzfan
06-04-2012, 08:18 PM

The Shibutanis are rather young and newcomers to the group, relatively speaking. From Scott's comments after competitions, may be Shpilband does not feel that V&M would be that diplomatic. May be he feels closer to D&W who have been very gracious in K&C and in their interviews. I would love to know (as would other fans too) about how this thing precipitated so suddenly, or may be there were signals earlier that Igor missed? Regardless, this is a very unfortunate situation for everyone concerned.

But it is my understanding that Scott voiced his displeasure at how his and Tessa's programs were being scored by the judges, and I am not sure why/how that would reflect on the way in which V&M would handle this situation? And even if he felt that Scott wouldn't be diplomatic for that reason, Tessa is her own person and has been very gracious in interviews/K&C, so...? And I imagine that he would want to speak with all the skaters he had been working with, even the newcomers, who, given their ages and relative inexperience, I feel especially sorry for. Perhaps he has not been able to reach the other teams? Or maybe he mentioned them and that was left out of the article? I am just very confused by this whole situation...I agree, it is unfortunate for all involved. :(

Bournekraatzfan
06-04-2012, 08:42 PM

The skaters being blamed with no quotes offered from them is one of the fishiest things I've ever seen in an article.

I agree completely...this is just so strange...I find the story that rink management is telling hard to believe, and I feel awful for these skaters if they are being blamed for something they had nothing to do with. I'm glad that Igor will meet with Meryl and Charlie today...it is just unfortunate that they were mentioned by the rink management seemingly without an opportunity to speak to the issue and clarify their position.

Vash01
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
I thought the off season would be boring because we won't have much to talk about. This just made it for 'interesting' conversation. :lol: