PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

DORISPULASKI
04-24-2012, 07:27 AM
http://photography.ice-dance.com/2011-12/2012WTT/Dance/FD/12WTT-FD-1575-DW-RR.jpg.php

This one is too funny.

It looks like Meryl has picked up Charlie, at first glance.

DORISPULASKI
04-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Two of the Golden Skate posters from Japan were at the FD, and wrote reviews:

deedee1 wrote a long review

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?36832-WTT-Free-Dance&p=640143&viewfull=1#post640143

and let's talk wrote a briefer one

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?36832-WTT-Free-Dance&p=638908&viewfull=1#post638908

I enjoyed reading both of them.

Elkmaria
04-24-2012, 08:03 PM
http://caltventertainment.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/judging-scandal-already-virtue-and-moir-take-gold-medal-in-ice-dance-at-the-world-figure-skating-championships-2012/

It's interesting how I both share some opinions expressed by the author and disagree with him/her. I've always thought that D/W are meant for character-driven programs, while V/M are meant for portraying more abstract concepts. My least favourite D/W's program is Tango: while being technically brilliant and complicated, it always struck me as kind of pointless. On the other hand, I cannot think of a current ice dance team that has an ability to portray different characters better than Meryl and Charlie. I loved their Samson and Delilah, and I absolutely adore Die Fledermaus. I was always able to see the story behind the program, but what made me appreciate it even more is that I went to see the operetta this winter (thanks Moscow, a :kickass: city where you have the opportunity to see almost everything you can think of), and the next time I watched the program I was amazed how true to the original story the characters were portrayed. One of my fellow fans summed it up very well, IMO: 'Meryl is definitely a cunning lady who knows how to charm any man, and Charlie is a perfect Edelstein - just catching a glimpse of a beautiful woman sets him flying!'

OK, after a little swoon drift, back to the article :D What I don't agree with is that the author disses Tessa and Scott for choosing 'abstract' music for their programs. To me, this is definitely not a flaw, but a great advantage, because it is not less difficult to create an abstract program than to portray a character, but probably even harder. V/M have an amazing ability to capture the mood of the music, its atmosphere, and then convey it in a program. Their Mahler is one of the most mature, sophisticated and subtle programs I've seen, and Pink Floyd, while not my cup of tea, was amazingly modern, brave and edgy. That said, I have to agree that Tessa and Scott are still to find characters that suit them, because it was hard to see any story behind Funny Face, and at Worlds, this program seemed downright boring after two amazing stories 'told' by D/W and W/P on ice.

I hope that next year both teams will stick to the style that suits them best, or succeed in venturing outside their comfort zone :) Speaking of D/W, I'm very fond of their Eleanor Rigby program, which allowed them to explore a more contemporary direction, and after several traditional programs, I'd love to see them doing something surprisingly different and voidy. I cannot think of a particular piece of music right now, but as soon as something comes to my mind, I'll be glad to share my ideas here :)

DORISPULASKI
04-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Please do! In fact, there are clever montage makers here that sometimes will make your proposed program come alive!

:swoon:

lmarie086
04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I hope that next year both teams will stick to the style that suits them best, or succeed in venturing outside their comfort zone :) Speaking of D/W, I'm very fond of their Eleanor Rigby program, which allowed them to explore a more contemporary direction, and after several traditional programs, I'd love to see them doing something surprisingly different and voidy. I cannot think of a particular piece of music right now, but as soon as something comes to my mind, I'll be glad to share my ideas here :)

I've wanted D/W to do something voidy ever since ER, too! Around the same time as that season, I think there was a thread here in the Trash Can about voidy skaters, and who posters wanted to see try a more voidy style. D/W were mentioned more than once IIRC. So...totally on board with that. I think they have such a unique style, and could really push it more. D/W are great with character pieces, but I'd definitely like to see something more contemporary from them.

*cough*Florence+TheMachine*cough*

Also, I meant to say before that I also disagree that it's a "bad" thing for Tessa and Scott to skate to more abstract concepts and music. I've always thought it shows a deep understanding of music and an ability to think outside the box. I think they are to be commended for their ability to do this, but I also think Meryl and Charlie are more than capable of doing so as well, both having music in their backgrounds and both being quite intelligent people, I think.

ETA: Also, can't remember who it was, but whoever posted that link to Radiohead 15 Step, I'd LOVE to see D/W do an exhibition using that. It'd be endlessly cool IMO. Thank you for posting that, and also thank you for giving me a new music obsession, as I stayed up very late last night listening to Radiohead for basically the first time. :lol:

sap5
04-25-2012, 12:41 AM
That was a very good post, Elkmaria!

I'm hoping for excellent programs for both teams this year as well.

fanofskate
04-25-2012, 01:06 AM
Don't think this has been linked to yet, Japanese broadcast of the WTT FD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HgYANZEt0g

shan
04-25-2012, 01:29 AM
Don't think this has been linked to yet, Japanese broadcast of the WTT FD. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HgYANZEt0g

Thanks! :)

shsocu
04-25-2012, 01:30 AM

Thanks for the link! I downloaded the vid from fsvids, but unfortunately my computer can't handle the high quality :lol:

PinkFeathers
04-25-2012, 01:41 AM
So, as a noob to the forums, I have to ask: What the heck does voidy mean? :shuffle:

Moving on, I have to say that I would love to see something emotionally raw from D&W. DF was lovely; very light, and fluffy, and magical. These aren't bad things! I just think they need something heavier to balance it out. Something that reaches out and grabs your emotions at the start, and doesn't stop until the end... :swoon:

fanofskate
04-25-2012, 01:51 AM
Their WTT FD shows just how much they have grown as performers. They looked so young when they started at the senior level, technically strong but still green in the characterization/presentation aspect. Now, there's that confident feel and look in the way they perform the dance: easy, natural not over the top but more deeply felt expressions while maintaining speed, and easing into each element almost seamlessly. You can also see how they enjoy dancing with each other. They seem to be more openly showing their appreciation of each other as well. I think there's more in them we have yet to see. They are still very young and still look strong, actually, stronger skaters now. I'm glad they have a very active life outside of skating because that means they will not get bored competing any time soon. (I hope!) So...let's see the voidy stuff from them. I too would love for them to do modern characterizations. ER-type programs would be nice.

shsocu
04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
I do love their character pieces and how much they have grown each year no matter what they skate to, but I also would like to see them try something completely different this coming season.

This is really OT. I was watching the Men's FS from WTT. With Jeremy Abbott in the K&C there were balloons, Charlie moved one away from Meryl and it sounded like he said she was allergic to them. Did anyone else hear that?

Theatregirl1122
04-25-2012, 08:03 AM
I couldn't tell if he was talking to Meryl or not but he definitely said "you're allergic" so I assumed someone had a latex allergy.

DORISPULASKI
04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
In the news & reviews column, I was shocked to read this on Yahoo Skatefans.

The poster, Ben, has disliked D&W's skating for years, and yet gave the worlds FD to them, followed by W&P, with V&M a distant third.

Davis & White __ They managed an intricate, fast, complicatedly mapped-out, blistering timed -- and I mean this they glued themselves to the beat and even the nuances of that non-unsubtle piece of grand waltz music ---- and mostly adagio/separation/two-foot-skating-in-non-dane-holds free dance. There is clump of time in the third minute when things got "too easy" but it was short and did not disconnect the effect of the whole thing.

It lacked some inventinveness that is required for "masterpiece" level choreography ... however, for what it was, and what it was was awfully good, it was skated at a level of tremendous form, genuine waltz expression, excellent unison, posture-matching and the like ... which easily surpassed the free dances of any of the top four couples. In fact, this is one of the beter skated/performed free dances we've been treated to in an many years ... probably going back at least 5 or 6 years ... and though there have been better free dances (i.e. harder and more interesting) you have to go even farther back to find one skated as-a-skate as cleanly and with such ease. 5.9 5.8

:eek:

They really have 'arrived'.

The poster is an old tyme ice dancer.

semogal
04-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for sharing Doris. So nice to see Meryl and Charlie being appreciated.