PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

TanithandBenFan
04-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Have you guys seen Charlie's "coaching" tweets the past few days? They're hilarious! All football-centric and very idealistic about doing it for the team and doing your best. :lol: He's pretty intense!

And I must say that after seeing all of Meryl's pictures in the off-ice events surrounding this WTT- she really has the best fashion sense. Really pretty, unique, and eye-catching dresses. Plus great shoes. I want her clothes.:swoon:

I got a kick out of watching Charlie coordinate the cheers in the K&C, too. He really does take his role as a leader seriously! Loved the stomp and clap he got going before Gracie skated and the swan ballet poses for Ashley, LOL.

Meryl should teach a styling class. She should be a style consultant for skaters when she retires (many years from now :) )

DORISPULASKI
04-22-2012, 07:00 PM
From Charlie's Very Serious Interview in His Capacity as Team Leader ;) :

White (in press conference speaking on behalf of Team USA)
(on the event) "Team USA, second place. Obviously, we were going for first and trying to repeat. But I'm proud of how we all skated. We showed a lot of fight and character. It is a difficult competition and we showed grit and supported each other. We used it to our advantage being able to see the other skaters, when they are out there doing their programs, smile at you. It is nice. I liked that part of the competition. Moving forward, we're going to be going for first next year. Hats off to Japan for a great competition. In front of a home crowd, it's impressive and it was special to be part of it. It's just nice to be here."

(on what was learned at this Team event going toward Olympics) "The set up will be different. I can't imagine we will be in booths while others are skating, but rather focusing on our programs because of the importance of the Olympics. It's good and bad. It's more fun like this but you're going to want to save your legs and energy. We learned that we should take the opportunity to hold each other up as a team. You can take some of the energy you would use all toward yourself and send some of it to your teammates. We are in it together. It's different from a typical competition. Just being able to support your teammates and let them know you will do everything you can for them out on the ice and hope they will do the same for you."

shan
04-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Charlie was a great team captain!

Love the Friday Night Lights clip he posted on twitter as motivation.

DORISPULASKI
04-22-2012, 07:08 PM
He needs to be more creative about the skits though... :)

mollymgr
04-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I got a kick out of watching Charlie coordinate the cheers in the K&C, too. He really does take his role as a leader seriously! Loved the stomp and clap he got going before Gracie skated and the swan ballet poses for Ashley, LOL.

Yes, that was hilarious. They were all really into those swan poses. He did quite well for his first time doing this. From Nathalie's twitter, it appears that Team France won the Team Spirit award which was well deserved. Does anyone know if there were runner's up prizes?

DORISPULASKI
04-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Does anyone know what the prize they received was, if anything other than the honor of the thing?

shan
04-22-2012, 07:47 PM
He needs to be more creative about the skits though... :)

Maybe they need a creative director in addition to the team captain!

Team France was hysterical and I think I read somewhere that Team Italy "trainied" for the kiss and cry.

nashvilledancer
04-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Except to harness all that KnC silliness from WTT into a kickass polka SD, I hope to Ieva's polka:

Official video with drums, by Loituma. If that isn't a DWTS polka, I'll eat my hat ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgrGRcjyzVw

It's traditional Finnish, written in 1930 or so, but is also used in Japanese anime as the Levan Polka , sung by the vocaloid Hatsune Miku
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mkfFdvREw&feature=related

All vocal version by Loituma:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJF6YPX4mIM

A great choice for NHK or 4CCs and WTT next year :)

A standard version of this was Rahkamo & Koko's polka, right?

DORISPULASKI
04-22-2012, 08:55 PM
It doesn't sound like the same one to me?. Theirs was called a Lapland Polka, and Ieva isn't AFAIK Lapland.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ievan_Polkka

Polkas are often rather similar, so it is hard to tell.

matti
04-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Susanna's and Petri's Lapland polka's music was the Säkkijärvi Polka. Somewhat known in America, presumably, because it first was recorded by a Finnish immigrant there... Ieva's polka is a totally different piece.

The number two couple in the USA, Rachel Mayer and Peter Breen, also skated to Säkkijärvi Polka in the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yntcg1SyW6g

DORISPULASKI
04-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Rachel was one of those that Button characterized as a "pre Raphaelite" beauty :lol: AFAIR

missysays
04-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Most of the suggestions on this board for polka music seems to fall into the country polka category (with some kitsch involved :lol:)- which was the route most ice dance couples took for the 1992 Olympics. It made sense since it was the only rhythm choice.

But in 2003, the OD theme was polka in combination with waltz and march which is the same theme choice as next season and most of the couples came up with more classical waltz with some polka or march sections within it where the polka had more of a classical ballroom feel and didn't have as much of a "country" feel to it. In fact D/W's DF FD this season would be an excellent example of that sort of mix of rhythms.

I wonder if we'll be getting more then of the classical ballroom type numbers instead of the country style polkas. Does anyone know if you have to incorporate at least two of the selected rhythms or if it's ok just to do the one rhythm next season?

literaryfreak
04-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Most of the suggestions on this board for polka music seems to fall into the country polka category (with some kitsch involved :lol:)- which was the route most ice dance couples took for the 1992 Olympics. It made sense since it was the only rhythm choice.

But in 2003, the OD theme was polka in combination with waltz and march which is the same theme choice as next season and most of the couples came up with more classical waltz with some polka or march sections within it where the polka had more of a classical ballroom feel and didn't have as much of a "country" feel to it. In fact D/W's DF FD this season would be an excellent example of that sort of mix of rhythms.

I wonder if we'll be getting more then of the classical ballroom type numbers instead of the country style polkas. Does anyone know if you have to incorporate at least two of the selected rhythms or if it's ok just to do the one rhythm next season?

I'm curious too if Marina and Igor will have D/W and V/M do different kinds of polkas, to avoid direct comparison (they have used this strategy a lot). If so, does one team get the country kind and the other ballroom? Even though a country polka would take just as much skill, I feel like the more elegant, ballroom polka will always be preferred by the judges in the end.

DORISPULASKI
04-22-2012, 10:34 PM
I would be very surprised if we don't have some "Grand Ball" polkas. I hope Meryl & Charlie don't do one though, because they did one this year. And also because the Yankee goes better with the folk interpretation than the Grand Ball interpretation, IMO, and you've got to do the YP in there.

I expect folks to remember DelSchoes Cowboy & Madame YP, too, and there'll be a wild west polka or two. Use a version of O Susanna, which was on the ISU CD for the YP.

Theatregirl1122
04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
I agree, I really hope Meryl and Charlie do a more country polka. They've done grand ballroom the last two years. And they would do an absolutely adorable country polka. I think something playful would be nice for them.