PDA

View Full Version : Davis and White #13 - Even Daisuke is a fan

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Theatregirl1122
04-21-2012, 02:47 AM
To have this "competition" so much later and asking these same people to "rev it up again" just so we can see more skating? Sorry, not agreeing with it. If "someone" was actually serious about this comp, they would have made it as part of Worlds -- not just as an add on.

"Someone" is planning on making it a part of the World Championships if it is successful at the Olympics.

I'm thrilled Meryl and Charlie skated well! I'm just working my way through the competition now since I've been working on an exam all day, but I can't wait to see it! (Speaking of which, Meryl and Charlie are, of course, on the same exam schedule as me. Did Meryl mention studying for an exam this weekend? That's so unfortunate for her!)

Bournekraatzfan
04-21-2012, 04:26 AM
I wasn't so sure about this event before, but after seeing Dai, C&L and D&W lay down their best performances of the season, I love it! :cheer: I think it is a really exciting event, and it is fun to see the skaters supporting each other like that. I feel lucky to be seeing so many memorable performances, and I am happy that this event is giving some skaters a chance to end the season on a high note:)

inthemiddle
04-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Did Meryl mention studying for an exam this weekend? That's so unfortunate for her!

Yes, she did it here http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120418&content_id=28986988&vkey=ice_news

"I have a final exam at school the day after I get back, writing essays on ancient Rome for a history class," she said. "So in Japan, it's just focus."

neptune
04-21-2012, 04:57 AM
If you can't win, the next best thing is to be wuzrobbed for by people not of your own country.

:lol:

And Tarasova isn't just some avid skating fan either--her opinion means a lot.

neptune
04-21-2012, 05:06 AM
it is definitely good to end the season on a good note :) I think mentally it probably meant a lot to them.

I agree. One of the main reasons winning Worlds has always been such a big deal is that it's usually the last major competition of the season. It means a lot to go out with a bang. But if there's one more after Worlds and you don't win that one, suddenly your aura of invincibility is gone. Folks may still call you world champion(s), but they may start to doubt whether you're actually the best skater(s) in the world. And the WTT isn't just some Hershey's Kisses cheesefest either. It may not be as big as Worlds, but it's still a significant competition. So, now both Takahashi and D&W can say that they've beaten the world champions. Some serious bragging rights there. Furthermore, if the results at Worlds are considered controversial, this kind of thing can also add fuel to the wuzrobbed flame. :D

And when it comes to determining the best skater or team in a particular discipline for the year, you really have to look at the whole season. Head to head, D&W and V&M were 2-2, so take your pick. :)

DORISPULASKI
04-21-2012, 08:46 AM
http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/04/davis-and-white-scores-for-team-usa-at-world-team-trophy/

Golden Skate article about the free dance, with final interviews.

mollymgr
04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
I think Team France should be allowed to participate without having to qualify next year, just so we can enjoy their antics in the K&C :lol:. They are quite a jolly bunch.

mia joy
04-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Did they even get some kind of a team spirit award or sth? They totally deserved one! I actually feel a bit sorry that the tiebreaker made Canada the bronze medal winner, imagine team France on the podium! :lol:

mollymgr
04-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Maybe they will give the team spirit award at the gala because I haven't seen anything about it yet.

lmarie086
04-21-2012, 04:23 PM
I hope a good quality vid from the Japan telecast will surface, because the ISU feed was crap, with blackouts.

Ask and you shall receive! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZYPidagIVE

Finally got all caught up on skating- end of semester workload is torture! But wow, what a performance. There was something different about the way they danced that FD, I can't explain it, but they went to a new level here.

I loved the camera angles, the way D/W used the nuances of the music came through so clearly. And IMO they used the music in this performance better than they have all season. Also, they just seemed more connected to each other than they had even in the Worlds FD. That was special! And that hug at the end? If I didn't uber them already...that would have sealed the deal.

Tapdancer, ITA on everything you said. I really like WTT. Yes, it's late in the season and the skaters are all tired, but it's such a heartwarming event. The team spirit displayed by most of the teams was so enjoyable to watch.

As far as it's inclusion in the Olympics goes, while I don't mind the idea of it, wasn't one of the reasons they cut the CD was to make figure skating not take as long at the Olympics? I thought I remembered reading that, but I'm just curious what the figure skating format will be now if WTT indeed makes its way to Sochi.

I hope all the skaters get some well earned rest now, they've certainly earned it. :)

mollymgr
04-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Team USA at the banquet:
http://yfrog.com/nvctkuij

mollymgr
04-21-2012, 08:24 PM
John is probably envious of the hair :rofl:

Thing 1 and Thing 2 caption
http://yfrog.com/o0jkpssbj

Jammers
04-21-2012, 08:48 PM
D/W seemed more connected to each other then i've ever seen them in that FD. It's what a lot of critics and fans have been wanting to see for years now.

DORISPULASKI
04-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Quote from IN article:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120420&content_id=29200480&vkey=ice_news

Though the World Team Trophy may not be as meaningful as worlds, the triumph still meant a great deal to Davis and White.

"I don't know if I've ever been so emotional after a program we've skated before," White said. "Obviously, it's World Team Trophy; it's not worlds or the Olympics, but I still feel like we wanted to do the program justice in our last program of the season. I'm really proud of how we skated."

"It was very special for us," Davis said. "It's been a season of growth like any other season. We always aim to go into the next season taking what we've learned from the previous season. Finishing out this season makes us more confident about where we are going to take our skating in the next few years."

Ending the season on top helped assuage some of the disappointment from worlds.

"Charlie was saying yesterday he felt like there was a lot of pressure, and I was saying I didn't," Davis said. "Coming in today, I think I felt a little bit differently because we were really disappointed with second at worlds. Even though we were really happy with how we skated, the silver isn't what we were looking for. We felt pressure to prove ourselves here and we did that. We are really happy."

kittyjake5
04-21-2012, 10:27 PM
Team USA at the banquet:
http://yfrog.com/nvctkuij

Thank you. Everyone looks great.