PDA

View Full Version : Czisny NOT to retire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Cheylana
04-12-2012, 11:11 PM
This is really bad news that Alissa wants to continue.. Continuing on with her pattern, she will skate well next year and make the world team and then implode at worlds thus costing the US a 3rd spot at the Olympics AGAIN!! This whole thing is disaster waiting to happen.. I am just hoping that Gracie Gold gets in that ballet studio this summer and works on her presentation so that she and Ashley can force Alissa off the team no matter how she skates..
The thing is, when you are only sending two representatives, both of them need to bring it in order to get three spots for the following year. There's no leeway like when we had three girls. Back in 2007 it didn't matter that Alissa tanked because Kimmie and Emily managed to scrape up three spots. But since losing the third spot, the US' pattern has been that one girl brings it and the other one tanks. Alissa, Rachael, Ashley and Mirai have all taken turns in those roles, unfortunately.

She needs to go to someone who can help her solve her jump problems, if that is possible at this stage (and I think it probably is).
Wouldn't that entail a multi-year process of starting from scratch and learning proper technique, a la Caroline Zhang (and Joannie with her lutz)? I don't think Alissa has that much time; Sochi is only two years away.

Alissa's jumps were looking good (decent) at 2011 Worlds. If going after the triple-triples caused her jumping to go awry, then that's really a shame because her score at 2011 Worlds would have gotten her the bronze this year.

apatinar
04-12-2012, 11:25 PM
don't forget Caroline Zhang,

possibly Courtney Hicks, if she can get back to form,

Agnes Z, Mirai?

& other dark horses.........

Caroline did well towards the end of this season but if she went to Worlds, that is a different ballgame.. I don't think her skating skills would even place her above Valentina Marchei who came in 8th...Unfortunately the USFSA has to look past Caroline and move on to someone else.. If Mirai can get her head in the game, start training harder, not relying on Evan and get into better shape, she is a possibility..

query5
04-12-2012, 11:47 PM
sorry but i think caroline zhang would do well at worlds when she goes.

but it does depend how she skates like all ladies. this year most ladies not so well some years better , some years worsel.

the ladies no matter what year are about the same as go to 4cc/euro and get around scores or a bit lower based more on falls and pops. they tend to skate better at those event or score higher.

RD
04-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Alissa's triple toe is one of her weakest triples so forget her trying a triple toe triple toe combo... Forget any triple triple with the loop...The landing of her flip swings around so forget adding a triple toe to that.. The only one she has a prayer of doing is the triple lutz triple toe- she landed it once in competition (a bit cheated) but her trying it this year totally F'd up her triple lutz.. This is really bad news that Alissa wants to continue.. Continuing on with her pattern, she will skate well next year and make the world team and then implode at worlds thus costing the US a 3rd spot at the Olympics AGAIN!! This whole thing is disaster waiting to happen.. I am just hoping that Gracie Gold gets in that ballet studio this summer and works on her presentation so that she and Ashley can force Alissa off the team no matter how she skates..

Man, you said it better than I could! ITA.

Too bad about her jump situation, she'll just have to back to what worked in 2010-11.

...since losing the third spot, the US' pattern has been that one girl brings it and the other one tanks. Alissa, Rachael, Ashley and Mirai have all taken turns in those roles, unfortunately.

But out of those 4, Czisny is the only one that has failed MULTIPLE TIMES.

Alissa's jumps were looking good (decent) at 2011 Worlds. If going after the triple-triples caused her jumping to go awry, then that's really a shame because her score at 2011 Worlds would have gotten her the bronze this year.

Face...meet palm! :duh:

dawnie
04-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Let's say Alissa has the skate of her life at Nationals next year and miraculously wins again. Her best move at that point would be to immediately retire. She will get to end her career with a 3rd National title, a performance she can be proud of, and her dignity.
I know this scenario is extremely implausible but strangers things have happened...
If it happens, she would most likely take the trip to Worlds believing she can finally get that elusive World medal and then...:scream:

AxelAnnie
04-13-2012, 01:13 AM
^^^^right. Then she would get all the flak when the US Ladies (presumably 2nd and 3rd) do horribly at Worlds........and Alissa let us down.....after all the support..............by not going to Worlds and winning back that 3rd spot!

stjeaskategym
04-13-2012, 02:57 AM
I'm glad Alissa is continuing. She has always acted like a tough athlete, and has never quit after a bad competition/season. When she falls down, she gets back up, which is one of the most important lessons you can get out of sports. A lot of skaters could learn from her. Of course, since she's older, if she retired now it would be completely understandable, but I think it's great that she doesn't want to go out on such a low note. She may not have great jump technique, but she sure is resilient. And she clearly loves to skate/compete, which is the most important thing.

I do wonder about her recent health. But we'll never know, and at this point, it doesn't matter.

Yazmeen
04-13-2012, 03:00 AM
The US does not have 3 spots because an entire slew of Ladies, including Alissa, Kimmie, Emily, Ashley, Rachel and Mirai have contributed to the US not earning 3 spots. Yes Alissa has a lousy World's record but she remains the most decorated of all the skaters just mentioned. And despite all your bitching, moaning and hand wringing, she has a right to continue.

I won't make excuses for Alissa's crappy Worlds but the main reason we don't have 3 spots is because we haven't had a consistent ladies skater since Kwan and Cohen (and dear Lord, as much as I love her, holding up "guaranteed 1-2 falls per freeskate Cohen" as a paragon of consistency...). US Ladies skaters since 2006 have been one rolling ball of growth spurts, injuries, lack of proper technique, neuroses, ad nauseum. We still don't have a breakthrough skater. Maybe we'll get one (and don't start with Gold, she's just another hot prospect who MIGHT pan out @ this point) but we don't know.

Yes, Alissa bombed this season, but she has a right to contine if she likes. And before you predict disaster if she does, remember that none of the others have either achieved her record or proven that they will definitely come through. We haven't LOST 3 spots, folks, our current crop of Senior Ladies haven't earned them, and they all bear responsibility for that.

ks1227
04-13-2012, 03:08 AM
Well, I say, good for her. :) I think there's WAY too much focus in this thread on Worlds 2013, I'll be happy if Czisny puts together some beautiful programs, has a successful GP series, and skates clean programs at Nationals.

Don't forget the senior Grand Prix Final. :cool:
And something like 8 Grand Prix medals at individual events, including two just this season. (I think it's hilarious that folks are suggesting that she would be kept away from the GP series when she's a current medalist and the current Skate America champion!) She's actually had a rather successful career in comparison with other recent U.S. Ladies, if you ask me.

This is really bad news that Alissa wants to continue.. Continuing on with her pattern, she will skate well next year and make the world team and then implode at worlds thus costing the US a 3rd spot at the Olympics AGAIN!! This whole thing is disaster waiting to happen.. I am just hoping that Gracie Gold gets in that ballet studio this summer and works on her presentation so that she and Ashley can force Alissa off the team no matter how she skates..
If Czisny can beat the other skaters at Nationals and win a spot on the Worlds team, that doesn't say very much about the other supposedly more consistent U.S. skaters, does it? :shuffle:

l'etoile
04-13-2012, 03:15 AM
After all, Alyssa did win the GPF title during the time of the longest drought of US ladies talent.

nubka
04-13-2012, 03:32 AM
If Czisny can beat the other skaters at Nationals and win a spot on the Worlds team, that doesn't say very much about the other supposedly more consistent U.S. skaters, does it? :shuffle:

It would say that maybe the judges held her up yet again... :shuffle:

jlai
04-13-2012, 03:35 AM
The US does not have 3 spots because an entire slew of Ladies, including Alissa, Kimmie, Emily, Ashley, Rachel and Mirai have contributed to the US not earning 3 spots. Yes Alissa has a lousy World's record but she remains the most decorated of all the skaters just mentioned. .

And before you predict disaster if she does, remember that none of the others have either achieved her record or proven that they will definitely come through. We haven't LOST 3 spots, folks, our current crop of Senior Ladies haven't earned them, and they all bear responsibility for that.

Kimmie was a junior world medalist, world champ and a 4cc champ. Ashley was a 4CC champ and 4th at worlds, the highest since 2007.
Czisny is quite successful in her GPs, but she has had no junior world, 4CC or worlds success. I think Kimmie has to be the most decorated among those mentioned

Not trying to be down on Alissa, but more to be fair to other worthy, very decorated champions. :)

carriecmu0503
04-13-2012, 03:38 AM
[QUOTE=Yazmeen;3544587]The US does not have 3 spots because an entire slew of Ladies, including Alissa, Kimmie, Emily, Ashley, Rachel and Mirai have contributed to the US not earning 3 spots. Yes Alissa has a lousy World's record but she remains the most decorated of all the skaters just mentioned. And despite all your bitching, moaning and hand wringing, she has a right to continue.

Actually, Emily placed 8th and 9th the two times she competed at worlds. In both instances, her finish helped the US to retain 3 US spots at worlds. This was especially true in 2007 when her 9th along with Kimmie's 4th added up to the magic number 13 (Alissa was 15th that year). Interestingly enough, in 2006, with Kimmie placing 1st, Sasha 3rd and Emily 8th, the combined placement of ALL THREE skaters was less than 13! How far we have fallen.....

As for calling Alissa more decorated than Kimmie- well, that's debatable. Where's Alissa's world title or world medal?

Marco
04-13-2012, 03:47 AM
Czisny has no international championship medals, whereas Meissner won both the 4CC and World title, and IIRC, a Jr World medal. There really is no comparison.

Czisny is arguably not even the most decorated SINCE Meissner. Wagner has a higher Worlds placement and won 4CCs which is a Championships and is more prestigeous status-wise than GPF. Even Nagasu won a 4CCs medal.

Jemestone
04-13-2012, 03:48 AM
Kimmie was a junior world medalist, world champ and a 4cc champ. Ashley was a 4CC champ and 4th at worlds, the highest since 2007.

Czisny is quite successful in her GPs, but she has had no junior world, 4CC or worlds success. I think Kimmie has to be the most decorated among those mentioned

As for calling Alissa more decorated than Kimmie- well, that's debatable. Where's Alissa's world title or world medal?

^ This :respec: