PDA

View Full Version : Czisny NOT to retire

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

jlai
04-14-2012, 05:29 PM
For a start USFS should get callers who will ding the URs, flutzes and lips adequately at every nationals. So many of them were overlooked or not penalized enough. In a competition where there's no clear winner, correct calls will make sure the right people get top two.

I wish nationals results weren't so influenced by skating order (which is different from ISU competition skating order), but I'd be happy with just good calling for now.

rfisher
04-14-2012, 05:55 PM
How many time do some of you have to say the same things over and over and over ad nauseum. :blah: We get you don't like Czisny. Is it really necessary to go from thread to thread repeating your mantra? We're all soooooooooo sad Alissa has kept your personal favorite from winning. Except she didn't. If they'd skated better, they'd have gone to Worlds or whatever. Oops. They didn't.

I hope Alissa makes the Olympic team and has the last laugh on all of you who have posted ninety million times in multiple threads how she's personally humiliated you, your parents, grandparents and ten future generations and should be banned from skating forever. :drama: Face it. None of the US ladies are likely to be on the podium at Worlds or the Olympics this time around. Or the men. Or the pairs. We might have one medal in dance. That's just the reality of things and it really doesn't matter who is sent. So go Alissa. You'll totally rock the team uniform and that's what counts. :D

RD
04-14-2012, 06:03 PM
The problem with US Ladies at Worlds and internationally is that they haven't been taught to be strong jumpers. The US has to get away from the pwetty princess syndrome and start teaching these girls to land their jumps as well as all the other basic skills.

I think we're moving in the right direction, though. (keyword: THINK)

AliasJohnDoe
04-14-2012, 07:22 PM
How many time do some of you have to say the same things over and over and over ad nauseum. :blah: We get you don't like Czisny. Is it really necessary to go from thread to thread repeating your mantra? We're all soooooooooo sad Alissa has kept your personal favorite from winning. Except she didn't. If they'd skated better, they'd have gone to Worlds or whatever. Oops. They didn't.

Exactly. Same posters following the directions on a shampoo bottle in every Czisny thread.

"Wash, Rinse, Repeat"...."Wash, Rinse, Repeat'...etc. .....:scream:

skatesindreams
04-14-2012, 09:25 PM
What did Alissa do to any of you to deserve some of the vile comments she has received on this board?

Cheylana
04-14-2012, 09:28 PM
The problem with US Ladies at Worlds and internationally is that they haven't been taught to be strong jumpers. The US has to get away from the pwetty princess syndrome and start teaching these girls to land their jumps as well as all the other basic skills.
We had skaters like that; their names were Kimmie and Rachael. And they were endlessly trashed for not being pwetty pwincesses.

In 2011, Flatt competed knowing that she had a tibia fracture and admitted that she "didn't find out what it was" until the Friday before Worlds, implying that she knew she had some sort of serious injury well before that. The sportsmanlike thing to do under the circumstances would have been to get the problem diagnosed sooner and withdrawn so that another skater could get the chance to compete. Even withdrawing on that Friday would have been better than competing with an injury about which she didn't tell the Federation.
The Flatt trashing began long ago and was very personal. People called her fat and were offended that she got good grades and drank Gatorade. Her troubles at Worlds last year just gave the anti-Flatt contingent an excuse to declare open season on her. She was practically declared the Worst Person in the World for competing while injured and the cries for her to retire were very loud.

apatinar
04-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Frankly there was ALWAYS something overall very annoying about Flatt. Skating while injured just gave a legitimacy for people to bash her..

Cheylana
04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
There's no way to "legitimize" the vile stuff said about Flatt last year.

RD
04-14-2012, 10:32 PM
The Flatt trashing began long ago and was very personal. People called her fat and were offended that she got good grades and drank Gatorade. Her troubles at Worlds last year just gave the anti-Flatt contingent an excuse to declare open season on her.

Yes, I definitely remember this stuff going on...LONG before tibiagate.

Besides, I believe there is a line between being critical and getting personal. With Flatt, much of the raucous was the latter.

loulou
04-14-2012, 11:42 PM
...and that is where discretion in world team selection could come in handy/come into play. In the event that she is 2nd, for example, invoke past competitive history, skip over her and send #3 instead.

Oh, I'd be careful ditching rules to (maybe) gain short term results. It's a slippery slope, to so many low points. For example: I don't care how refined their gymnasts are, I don't think a chinese passport is a blessing.

Is it really so hard for you to figure out?

Not for me it isn't. Some skaters I like, no matter what. I even managed to enjoy Czisny's free skate - except for the fact I knew she must have felt awful. I know, it's crazy. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, which means I'll have Czisny over Flatt any day, provided she doesn't wear shredded, russian style skirts.

How many time do some of you have to say the same things over and over and over ad nauseum. :blah: We get you don't like Czisny.

Ha, ha: the answer is blowing in the wind.

Dilng
04-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Frankly there was ALWAYS something overall very annoying about Flatt. Skating while injured just gave a legitimacy for people to bash her..

:rolleyes: I don't think anything Rachael did was as annoying as Alissa saying, " who does performances like that???" after falling seven times and landing in 22nd place and always with that annoying smile. Someone on the thread mentioned that she needs to get mad. Yes she does, mad enough to work hard and try to skate clean without hestitating before each and every jump.

Alissa's spins are beautiful but her slow skating and poor jumps aren't going to get her on the Worlds podium or the Olympic podium especially with all the new young talent out there. She is 25 and time is running out. Yes, there are skaters that have reached the Olympic podium at 27, but they were better jumpers then Alissa will ever be.

Now we have to have another season of watching her falter on the the ice shaking her head in bewilderment because she fell --now that is really annoying!

ioana
04-15-2012, 12:18 AM
Now we have to have another season of watching her falter on the the ice shaking her head in bewilderment because she fell --now that is really annoying!

The fast forward button can be your friend if watching a particular skater is such a trial, you know. Of course that would also mean you couldn't talk about how awful and annoyed you felt while she fell on her jumps again, so it is a bit of a catch 22, innit?

Theatregirl1122
04-15-2012, 12:47 AM
In 2011, Flatt competed knowing that she had a tibia fracture and admitted that she "didn't find out what it was" until the Friday before Worlds, implying that she knew she had some sort of serious injury well before that. The sportsmanlike thing to do under the circumstances would have been to get the problem diagnosed sooner and withdrawn so that another skater could get the chance to compete. Even withdrawing on that Friday would have been better than competing with an injury about which she didn't tell the Federation.

In 2009 Evan Lysacek competed with what he believed to be a stress fracture in his right foot. He'd known about the injury for months. Should he have withdrawn from the 2009 World Championships?

Was Meissner named to the 2006 World team from the start?)

Meissner was the US silver medalist and was named to both the World and Olympic teams. Are you talking about Hughes?

jlai
04-15-2012, 01:14 AM
There's no way to "legitimize" the vile stuff said about Flatt last year.

Yes, calls for her retirement and how "selfish" she was to skate at worlds and she was not a teamplayer for the ladies team... :scream: :scream:

(And I'm not a Flatt fan)

Bournekraatzfan
04-15-2012, 01:49 AM
:rolleyes: I don't think anything Rachael did was as annoying as Alissa saying, " who does performances like that???" after falling seven times and landing in 22nd place and always with that annoying smile. Someone on the thread mentioned that she needs to get mad. Yes she does, mad enough to work hard and try to skate clean without hestitating before each and every jump.

Alissa's spins are beautiful but her slow skating and poor jumps aren't going to get her on the Worlds podium or the Olympic podium especially with all the new young talent out there. She is 25 and time is running out. Yes, there are skaters that have reached the Olympic podium at 27, but they were better jumpers then Alissa will ever be.

I can kind of understand the frustration of some posters over not getting a third spot, but I really believe Alissa went into worlds with every intention of doing her best. Meltdowns are not necessarily indicative of a poor work ethic or lack of preparation. These skaters are under a tremendous amount of pressure, and some skaters handle that pressure better than others. I have not heard reports of Alissa slacking off, and I did notice improvements in her skating when she switched coaches. I know speed is difficult to discern on TV, but she seemed to increase her speed and improve her consistency. Unfortunately, it takes a lot of time for a skater to rework jumping technique, especially when simultaneously trying to improve their speed. This can throw off the timing of jumps, and it is difficult for muscles to adapt to new patterns (especially when you are 24). She was also dealing with an injury this year, which can interrupt preparations.

As I said before, I don't think her smile denoted irreverence, rather, I think it was her way of acknowledging the crowd and thanking them for their support. She was in tears, which tells me that she definitely cares and wasn't happy with her performance. I just hope that she deals with this in a way that is productive for her, whether or not that means getting angry.

This is JMO, of course, and I am not saying that people should refrain from discussing this...I just think we need to be careful about deciding that a skater is not reacting to a poor performance in the correct manner as it is different for each skater, and it is hard to know exactly how a skater is dealing with what is no doubt a difficult experience. I hope this isn't construed as ubering.

and FTR, I didn't agree with people trashing Rachael and could not believe how nasty those comments were.