PDA

View Full Version : HE Washer advice

Pages : [1] 2 3

her grace
04-11-2012, 12:19 AM
It looks like I will be upgrading to a HE washer and drier. I'm not too thrilled about this prospect because I've heard lots of horror stories about them not cleaning as well as the older kind. If you have one, do you like it? Would you recommend that brand and model? Or if you don't like it, why not?

Prancer
04-11-2012, 12:29 AM
I have Whirlpool Duets; they clean perfectly well, IMO.

BittyBug
04-11-2012, 12:31 AM
'HE' washer? Is that when hubby does the laundry? If so, I highly recommend it. ;)

dbell1
04-11-2012, 12:37 AM
I have an LG front load HE washer. Bought it 5+ years ago, so my unit isn't made anymore. I love it! Can't rave enough about it. 5-7 loads per week in it. Has a sanitary cycle. I've had one problem with it - the circuit board blew up when we had power issues. Not sure what the cost was, I had coverage through my electric supplier.

When I bought it, I went to the Home Depot. They don't make commission there, so they won't try to upsell you on items. Guy who sold it to me had one too. Said he bought it after hearing people rave about it. :lol:

Cleaning wise, it's amazing. The sanitary cycle was a lifesaver when my dad was sick. His doctor had the same machine and raved about its cleaning ability. Never had a problem with my clothes not looking clean. I buy the Tide HE machine cleaner and run that every month or so - keeps it smelling good inside.

Appliance wise, it's the best investment I ever made.

agalisgv
04-11-2012, 12:37 AM
I have a Bosch--best. purchase. ever.

It cleans better than any conventional washer I've had, uses very little water, and less detergent. I used to use a lot of bleach when I washed, but this washer has a special sanitary setting, so I rarely have to use bleach now.

Only downside is the wash cycle is much longer than a regular machine. It does have an express 30 minute cycle though.

Artemis@BC
04-11-2012, 12:42 AM
No problems with the Maytag HE I use on a semi-regular basis. Certainly no problems getting things clean. You do have to use the HE laundry detergent, though, and I find they don't go on sale as much as "regular" detergent. Also, they tend to handle a somewhat smaller load than "regular" washers.

milanessa
04-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I have Whirlpool Duets; they clean perfectly well, IMO.

Me, too and I agree.

'HE' washer? Is that when hubby does the laundry? If so, I highly recommend it. ;)

:P

Some people think they don't clean well because you don't see a lot of water and suds - we're conditioned to equating that with clean. You do need to run a sanitizing cycle about every 30 loads (a light comes on to remind you) since gook can build up behind the rubber ring. If you don't do that regularly I've heard the clothes don't come out so clean and the unit begins to smell.

rfisher
04-11-2012, 01:15 AM
If you actually use the measured amount of detergent and do not use liquid fabric softener, the "smell" won't happen. I started measuring and stopped using liquid softner and it's made a huge difference. I also dry the inside of the rubber ring after I've done the last load. I have Samsung and like them. Only problem, is moving them. They require a special moving company to lock down the drum. When I sell this house, they stay with the house and I'll just get new. I want one of the steam models.

victoriajh
04-11-2012, 01:22 AM
i had a whirpool duet and it was TERRIBLE- i had issues from day 90 on- the washer went kaput in under TWO YEARS ( and we bought new) basically the reapirman i had come look ( casue the whirlpool ones were GONG SHOWS) said that he has seen a TONNE of them do the same thing and whirpool WOULD NOT COVER it or make it right- even though from day 90 the problems began. I was not impressed-

I went fro a maytag HE NOT a front loader and i LOVE it!!! it actually does a FULL load of wash- no smells and not an issue in sight - I did some major shopping around- called several stores and then went in to the one with the best service and they matched the best price i found-

AxelAnnie
04-11-2012, 01:31 AM
I have the LG HE Washer. I love, love, love it. I bought it the first year LG made them.
I think it cleans fabulously well, and is much easier on the clothes.

NOTE: It is critical that the door be left open after use, and that you wipe around the gasket in front. This keeps it from developing an odor problem. (My Son and his wife had a Whirlpool.........when they first came out.....but they did not get the notice about the door....it was awful).

And, I run the "clean tub" cycle once in a while.

It works great. I bought it at Best Buy, and, because it was the first year LG made these, I bought the extended service..........they come out and clean and service it once a year.........but there really hasn't been anything to maintain.

agalisgv
04-11-2012, 01:36 AM
If you actually use the measured amount of detergent and do not use liquid fabric softener, the "smell" won't happen. I've never had a smell issue and didn't understand why others claimed it was a problem. We don't use fabric softener, though.

PDilemma
04-11-2012, 01:48 AM
i had a whirpool duet and it was TERRIBLE- i had issues from day 90 on- the washer went kaput in under TWO YEARS ( and we bought new) basically the reapirman i had come look ( casue the whirlpool ones were GONG SHOWS) said that he has seen a TONNE of them do the same thing and whirpool WOULD NOT COVER it or make it right- even though from day 90 the problems began. I was not impressed-

I went fro a maytag HE NOT a front loader and i LOVE it!!! it actually does a FULL load of wash- no smells and not an issue in sight - I did some major shopping around- called several stores and then went in to the one with the best service and they matched the best price i found-

My father-in-law is an appliance repairman and would echo your first paragraph.

He would also say that if you must buy an HE (and he would say don't as the majority of them will not last and even minor repairs can be expensive) to buy exactly what you replaced it with.

victoriajh
04-11-2012, 01:53 AM
My father-in-law is an appliance repairman and would echo your first paragraph.

He would also say that if you must buy an HE (and he would say don't as the majority of them will not last and even minor repairs can be expensive) to buy exactly what you replaced it with.

:cheer: yeah me!!! lol :lol:

agalisgv
04-11-2012, 02:07 AM
It looks like I will be upgrading to a HE washer and drier. I'm not too thrilled about this prospect because I've heard lots of horror stories about them not cleaning as well as the older kind. I think Consumer Reports indicated some of the HE washers that were top loaders did not clean as well (presumably the missing agitator in the middle made cleaning more difficult). But that was several years ago (around 2007 or so). The front loading HE washers, however, generally cleaned better than your traditional washers.

I think now the issue with top loading HE washers isn't so bad. But if you get a front loader, you shouldn't have any issues (in fact, your clothes should come out cleaner).

Front loaders used to be quite a bit more expensive, but I don't think that's the case so much nowadays.

Really
04-11-2012, 04:51 AM
We have a relatively new Kenmore steam machine, and I think it does a great job on my clothes. Mind you, my old washer was about 20 years old...:shuffle: