PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Changes

Pages : 1 [2]

jlai
04-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Abbott and Csizny will be the same no matter who their coaches are. Actually, I think they could be worse without Yuka and Jason's calming influences.

Competitively speaking I haven't found Abbott to be any better or worse now than when he was with Tom Z

pinky166
04-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Competitively speaking I haven't found Abbott to be any better or worse now than when he was with Tom Z

He's definitely MUCH improved artistically since leaving Tom. But in terms of competitive nerves? More of the same.

aliceanne
04-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I know skating is a subjective sport, and I've defended Morozov and Leonova in the past, but that LP she did at Worlds was a real "what were they thinking?" moment for me. I don't think I have ever seen a worse program either for performance or choreography, and that includes the classic meltdowns.

She can do all of the jumps quite well, and I did like her voidy witch program last season, but when did he put that program together, the day before? And why on earth would he chose that music for her or let her go out and perform it in public?

pinky166
04-12-2012, 04:26 PM
^ I personally want Max Aaron to leave him. He needs to explore his artistic side and I don't think that can be done under Tom Z.

I agree. Farris was not really artistic (well, moreso than Aaron, but that's not saying much) under Tom Z., in fact, he was kind of gawky and awkward, and look at him now. I had no idea he had it in him to be so artistic but Damon and Christy really did a good job bringing it out of him, and this season was the first time I felt his programs were choreographed to cater to his strengths, and the result was fantastic. I think Aaron could be capable of a similar transformation if he leaves Tom Z, his skating is very smooth and I think he could definitely improve his artistry a lot if he went to a coach who wasn't so solely focused on jumps.

Jenna
04-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Maia and Alex Shibutani need to get out of Canton. It's too crowded there and they're not getting the attention they deserve. Plus, they need better choreography.

shan
04-12-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm trying to count teams currently in Canton.

D/W
S/S
V/M
T/S
R/Z (according to the Russian thread)
Khoklova/??
who am I missing?

aka_gerbil
04-12-2012, 06:11 PM
There's a rumor that C/L may be going to Canton as well.

ETA: Chock/Bates are another current team.

shan
04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
There's a rumor that C/L may be going to Canton as well.

ETA: Chock/Bates are another current team.

Yes, Chock/Bates (their names together really crack me up, idk why...)
I knew I forgot someone. I'm guessing the Marina/Igor currently have no junior teams?

aka_gerbil
04-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Yes, Chock/Bates (their names together really crack me up, idk why...)
I knew I forgot someone. I'm guessing the Marina/Igor currently have no junior teams?

There was that article from a couple of months ago where they said that they don't currently have any junior teams, but would love to have some (well, more teams in general).

Sylvia
04-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm guessing the Marina/Igor currently have no junior teams?
Not right now AFAIK, but this is what I posted recently in the U.S. Ice Dance splits thread:
"Not a split, but Brynn Carman, the former pair skater, listed herself today on IPS for dance with her coaches being Shpilband/Zoueva. She is 17 and 5'7" according to her IPS profile."

There was that article from a couple of months ago where they said that they don't currently have any junior teams, but would love to have some (well, more teams in general).
It was USFS' February 2012 SKATING magazine cover article in which Shpilband/Zoueva mentioned they would like to have more novice and junior teams.

pinky166
04-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Maia and Alex Shibutani need to get out of Canton. It's too crowded there and they're not getting the attention they deserve. Plus, they need better choreography.

Where do you suggest they go then? Detroit? To Linchuk? Somehow I'm not sure it will make a difference...

arakwafan2006
04-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Abbott and Csizny will be the same no matter who their coaches are. Actually, I think they could be worse without Yuka and Jason's calming influences.

I agree. I just scratch my head when i see people placing so much responsibility on the coaches. In the case of Alissa, she even said herself that she just felt like she couldnt jump. That has absolutely nothing to do with Yuka or Jason. NOTHING!!! Mao in Vancouver... say what you want about Tarasova but Mao was cranking out clean axels like nobody's business. At the end of the day, she choked on her combo and her toeloop. NOTHING to do with Tarasova.

In my opinion, the coach is the cause of the issues only in few cases.

arakwafan2006
04-12-2012, 10:35 PM
He's definitely MUCH improved artistically since leaving Tom. But in terms of competitive nerves? More of the same.

He's another skater who should have been medaling at the past couple worlds but choked... again... NOT a coach issue

pinky166
04-13-2012, 12:20 AM
He's another skater who should have been medaling at the past couple worlds but choked... again... NOT a coach issue

Yes, fore sure. But Jeremy under Tom idk if he should have been medaling at Worlds then, maybe in his last season with Tom, but until his 08-09 breakthrough, I don't think he was up to the level of being a World medalist even if he did deliver. His artistry has definitely improved under Yuka and Jason to the point where he is (should be) a medal contender for Worlds if he skates well. But in terms of delivering when it counts? Definitely not a coaching issue. That is a mental issue. All in his head.