PDA

View Full Version : The Voice S2 thread 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Matryeshka
05-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see, but Adam looked pissed and slightly ill when he realized had he just voted 50-50, Katrina would have won.

I don't completely buy his bromance with Tony. We all know Blake is his true soulmance. He's just trying to make Blake jealous, but Adam shouldn't worry--Jermaine is just a fling.

My ranking:
Juliet
Chris
Jermaine
(huge gap)
Tony

LuckyCharm
05-08-2012, 04:25 AM
Adam shouldn't worry--Jermaine is just a fling.

I thought so too, but after the Soul Man performance, I'm pretty sure the love between B and J is real.

taf2002
05-08-2012, 04:36 AM
First of all, that was a pretty great night of music. I liked the format & I liked that the contestants changed up the order of their songs.

I was thinking I was weird because I thought Juliet sounded pretty bad on all of her songs & then Christina mentioned that she is sick. So apparently it's not her fault except for Crazy. I hated her arrangement. That song is supposed to have a lot of soul in it...it's not supposed to be bouncey.

I haven't liked Jermaine all along but he sounded great on Soul Man & since that was the last impression we got of him he may have a chance. Same with Chris Mann. He hasn't impressed me much but tonight his duet with Christina raised him to a different level. I really think they all have a chance.

I am more likely to listen to Tony's genre of music than anyone else's & I think he did a good job. Obviously I'm in the minority but I have enjoyed him for the last 3 weeks. If I was going to bet, I would put my money on him to win this thing. BTW, the band was so loud that the 99 song was almost over before I realized he wasn't singing that word. So it didn't bother me.

ETA: I hated the way Christina critiqued Tony. It made her look petty. She even got her digs in when she critiqued Chris by saying he did it all on his own, etc, unspoken was unlike some others here.

Matryeshka
05-08-2012, 04:48 AM
Even if he wasn't singing that word, you knew what it was and the intention of the song. He knew what it was, and it wasn't "a metaphor for life." There are a million songs he could have done a similar arrangmenent with, but he chose that one. With his wife and daughter present.

Tony has a good, but not great, voice. That would not be a huge impedement if his voice was in some way unique or he had a great stage presence. As others have noted, he's put out a couple of albums already, was in one of the Mouseketeer's most famous graduating classes, and even with Justin Timberlake's backing, couldn't overcome Katrina in the popular vote. If Tony was going to make it, he would have done so already.

Allskate
05-08-2012, 04:52 AM
Can I vote for Xtina? Love that Xtina called him out on it--especially with is wife and daughter there--and Adam's a total douche for trying to reconstruct the song. We all know the "blank" is not about "life". :blah: If you're going to sing the song, stand behind it for what it is.

I'd totally vote for XTina. :lol: IMO, she's one of the best reasons to watch the show. Plus, I think that Adam and Tony were so pissed off by XTina's comment last month about Tony always being the same that they decided to be "different" just to be "different," rather than to be good. I use the term "different" in a limited way because they were not only unoriginal in their cover of "One More Time," but ripped off Hugo's countrified arrangement of "99 Problems": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onDh4P1cE2E&feature=youtu.be

I don't have a lot of respect acting like your ripoff of someone else's arrangement is yours and "different." But, even worse, it was a stupid choice. Why would the mouseketeer rip off a countrified cover of a song that is not only demeaning to women, but is about the experience of an African-American man? And it didn't even do much for his voice. It's idiotic. Is this the kind of album he's going to make?

I think Tony has made a mistake. He was going to get the Justins' support regardless of what he did. But those kinds of votes aren't going to get him a better career and real fans. Why abandon the kind of artist he's been in order to do random "different" songs and look like a singer who doesn't come across very well? I think a lot of people (including me) who liked Tony's music before have been turned off the last few weeks.

I've also lost some respect for Adam. I didn't like his b.s. explanation for choosing Tony over Katrina or his lame explanation of the meaning of "bitch" and the song tonight, not to mention his attitude. Did he and Tony even listen to the lyrics? And I don't get wanting to win so badly that you use tactics that undermine your integrity and the integrity of the show. How can you really take satisfaction in that?

Maybe that's why Blake has abandoned Adam for Jermaine. ;)

moebius
05-08-2012, 05:44 AM
ETA: I hated the way Christina critiqued Tony. It made her look petty. She even got her digs in when she critiqued Chris by saying he did it all on his own, etc, unspoken was unlike some others here.

She even went on to say after Chris sang his tribute song that at least Chris doesn't sing songs that degrades women referring to the song that Tony sang which she criticized as degrading to women. She was also tweeting when Tony did his thank you speech to Adam. I wonder what she has against Tony besides that he doesn't deserve to be in the finals. Maybe she's bitter about what happened between them during the Mousketeer days?

manhn
05-08-2012, 05:54 AM
I have preferred Juliet over the course of the season, but I have been repeating all of Chris' performances. I still want Juliet to win.

I find Tony nauseating so I always skip his performances. Apparently, Xtina found him sexist? I haven't seen his performance, but my gut says Xtina is right.

Allskate
05-08-2012, 06:19 AM
I find Tony nauseating so I always skip his performances. Apparently, Xtina found him sexist? I haven't seen his performance, but my gut says Xtina is right.

Here are the lyrics to the song: http://www.metrolyrics.com/99-problems-lyrics-jayz.html
(ETA: But he only sang parts of this version. It looks like he really did take Hugo's version.)

JayZ said after his daughter was born that he would stop calling women "bitches."

I don't think XTina gives a rip about anything that happened when she was ten. I think she doesn't like the way Adam and Tony are competing. IMO, she has a valid point and I'm glad she's willing to speak her mind even if it makes Adam and the Adam/Tony fans angry.

Overall, I think this was kind of a disappointing finale for “The Voice.” At least, it was for me. According to CeeLo, Juliet has pneumonia. What crappy timing. I knew that Tony probably was going to win, but I was hoping that Juliet could go out with her best performances.

My thoughts:

Jermaine -- I Believe I Can Fly. Putting aside the cheesy song and arrangement, he did a pretty good job.

Juliet -- Not the right song choice for her. It might have because she was sick and her voice wasn't as strong, but the band was overpowering her at times.

X and Xtina – The Prayer - It made sense for them to do this, but it’s just not my thing, and it’s been done better.

I’ve already said what I think of Tony’s ripoff of the 99 Problems cover. I wish Katrina was there instead.

Chris – The Voice Within– I guess the song choice makes sense for his audience. Again, just not my thing.

Born to Be Wild – It was so CeeLo! Unfortunately, you could tell Juliet was sick.

Yesterday – It’s hard to take on a Beatles classic that so many people have done, so I thought it just came across as just okay. But, I think this song is more “Tony” than most of the stuff he’s been doing lately.

Jermaine – God Gave Me You – I felt bad for Jermaine that he had to do a Blake song, because it’s really not him. (But, on the bright side, at least he seemed to be really happy with Blake as his coach and didn’t have to deal with the Adam/Xtina drama.) He did okay, but the band was too loud. They had all season to get the sound right, but they never did.

Chris – You Raise Me Up – I really don’t like this song. But, another problem is that he doesn’t sing it as well Josh Groban does. It’s not that he didn’t do well, but I liked the signing better than the singing. I think he saw Xtina crying at the end and might have gotten choked up a little himself. I think Xtina has a point. Chris has never mentioned being on Glee and never had someone like Darren Criss or David Foster try to get him votes, and he’s never pretended that someone else’s arrangement was his own.

Blake and Jermaine – That was fun! I didn’t know if the two of them would sing well together, but this was my favorite duet of the show. I really respect Blake for trying something that was different for him and letting Jermaine doing something that worked well for him.

Tony – Harder to Breathe– Did he mess up some of the lyrics? :lol: He seemed a bit lost on that one. Since he was only strumming a little, he probably should have lost the guitar because it didn’t really work randomly moving around with the guitar hanging there.

Juliet – Freebird – That was my favorite solo performance of the night. She fought for it, and I really liked the outfit!

genevieve
05-08-2012, 06:25 AM
overall a very boring finale. Juliet was sick and it showed, but her Freebird performance, while imperfect, was amazing, so I'm voting for her.

Beefcake
05-08-2012, 06:43 AM
:shuffle: You all seem to be seeing Juliet for what she "might have" sounded like versus what she DID sound like -- which was fair-to-awful.

Chris blew the other three out of the water. As the intro tells us over and over again "This is The Voice". Ergo, Chris needs to win this, and with his performances tonight I think he has a good chance.

Sure, Chris is not a Cee-Lo on stage, but I don't mind because I purchase music to listen to not look at. Boring? Nah. Because he does not fake point at the audience, or go and slap hands, or grind with the guitarist? Again, This is The Voice!

Juliet would be a damned good winner, and I'd be happy with that as well. (Also: her "performance" style is pretty awesome.) But, Cee-Lo does her no favors by selecting classic rock songs for her. I love them (they're my favorite), but the voters will not so much.

If Tony wins, The Voice is in trouble. Legitimacy problems. The is not The Performance, it's The Voice. Fin.

:kickass: Christina! She was reportedly called a [SPOILER]f*cking c*nt by Adam today during their tussle when she voiced her concerns about 99 Problems, which was Adam's severe dig at Xtina ... to call her out as a bitch. I'd be a little snippy too (www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2012/christina-aguilera-and-adam-levine-in-bitter-brawl-on-the-voice-0507/) ADAM IS A DOUCHEBAG.

genevieve
05-08-2012, 06:44 AM
Adam is a complete douchebag. He's a frat boy who poses as a hipster behind his tattoos. And musically, he & his band are to the 2010s what Mark McGrath & Sugar Ray were to the late '90s.

Allskate
05-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Adam is a complete douchebag. He's a frat boy who poses as a hipster behind his tattoos. And musically, he & his band are to the 2010s what Mark McGrath & Sugar Ray were to the late '90s.

I've sometimes wondered if Adam's animosity towards Xtina was partly due to the fact that he was jealous of her clearly superior singing ability.

In any event, I think "douchebag" is too kind. I think he's got real issues.

ETA: Hugo is NOT happy that Adam and Tony took his version of 99 Problems.

In the meantime, it seems safe to say that Juliet will be signed by someone. He says he won't play the celebrity tweeting game. However, in one of his tweets he said: If heart& soul doesn't matter and celebrity friends tweeting for you does then **** it all @JulietSimmsALL I will sign her myself AND I CAN

rfisher
05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I liked something about all four singers. I watch the show to be entertained and I was. :D

Mark Burnett doesn't care who has a successful music career and neither do I for that matter. The show itself is entertaining. They have a diversified cast of mentors and talent. As for the animosity between mentors: that sells advertising. If advertisers pay money, Burnett and company are happy, the mentors are happy and more singers will have an oportunity to showcase what they can do. And, then I'll be happy.

And AGT starts next week! My summer pleasure. Bring on the jugglers, magicians, and weird acts. I don't care who wins this show either. If it makes me laugh each week, I'm good. Plus, I'm interested to see how Mandell and Stern share the laughs.

sk9tingfan
05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
:shuffle: You all seem to be seeing Juliet for what she "might have" sounded like versus what she DID sound like -- which was fair-to-awful.

Juliet would be a damned good winner, and I'd be happy with that as well. (Also: her "performance" style is pretty awesome.) But, Cee-Lo does her no favors by selecting classic rock songs for her. I love them (they're my favorite), but the voters will not so much.

IMO, one of the issues with Juliet is that she has a very limited upper register. That might have been one of her previous issues with nailing down a deal.

sk9tingfan
05-08-2012, 01:34 PM
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-voice/adam-levine-the-voice-complete-45465.aspx

From someone who doesn't think Adam is a douchebag.