PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Anjelica Krylova: "I want beauty"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

lauravvv
04-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Thank you for the interview, quiqie.

I didn't think a Russian/Italian pair could hurt the feelings of a rude Euro pair ;)How do you know that Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat are rude? They have never left such an impression on me. Besides, humour or no humour, it's quite rude to suggest that all french people and, even more, all European people are rude ;). There are rude people in all continets, and in all nations - just as there are polite people in every nation.

flowerpower
04-15-2012, 10:55 PM
.del

posted in wrong thread

Cherub721
04-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Thank you for the interview, quiqie.

How do you know that Nathalie Pechalat and Fabian Bourzat are rude? They have never left such an impression on me. Besides, humour or no humour, it's quite rude to suggest that all french people and, even more, all European people are rude ;). There are rude people in all continets, and in all nations - just as there are polite people in every nation.

"Rude euro" is a phrase that some people use on this board, like "voidy"... in fact I think it was coined by a European poster (I'm gonna guess SHARPIE or allezfred). It's meant to imply that Europeans don't have delicate sensibilities and aren't overly sensitive, and tend to speak directly and tell it like it is.

geoskate
04-23-2012, 04:34 AM
I found this quote from Quiqie's interview (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3546075&postcount=58) transation interesting:

Working with them one must be very accurate and choose words very carefully. With Russians, you can give criticism directly and clearly. My Canadians are now used to it, too. The French at first took some comments too close to heart. But gradually everything fell into place. When we first started working with the Canadians Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje three years ago, it was more or less the same.

because it is, in different words, the same thing that was said by primorskaya in this post (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3542224&postcount=27):
It's a cultural thing. Political correctness really isn't a Russian concept..

Interesting that Angelika had to deal with those differences in how criticism (even constructive criticism) is given in different cultures. It speaks highly of her intelligence and ability as a coach that she was able to recognize those cultural differences and deal with them effectively.

flowerpower
04-23-2012, 05:26 AM
What one person perceives as direct, a person of another culture can perceive as blunt, harsh or even rude.

What one person perceives as polite, respectful, or considerate, a person of another culture can perceive as inauthentic or "politically correct".

Each culture has norms about this; it's not a question of right or wrong. Not surprising that a coach who has students from many different cultures will run into intercultural communication difficulties. It sounds like there has been mutual understanding and adaptation, which is great to see.

quiqie
04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Maybe it is surprising because Nathalie doesn't exactly mince her words either.

kwanfan1818
04-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Sometimes people don't take it as well as they give it.