Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Aussie Willy
04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Péchalat/Rumbzat ?
No Pechalat/Rourzat

Libertango
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Péchalat/Rhumba maybe?

Back to the thread, Angelica actually liked B/S's FD :confused: ?

Twilight1
04-10-2012, 03:16 PM
^ I liked B&S's FD too. :shuffle:

Watched some of her old performances after reading this interview and agree with some of it but not all of it.

I think their is still a great deal of development that needs to occur with CoP but I think that it is coming along. Like anything, it will take time. Mahler from V&M was a thing of beauty and that was in CoP. The potential is there... somehow I think that K&C will bring ice dance into that direction. I was worried that after V&M, D&W, I wouldn't have anyone to really cheer for but Weaver & Poje are absolutely amazing. I really look forward to the work they will do with them. I am also interested to see what P&B will be doing the next couple of seasons as well.

kwanfan1818
04-10-2012, 05:45 PM
That is rather presumptive isn't it to make that assumption?
Why? There was major :drama: and :argue: when Zoueva said that Virtue/Moir were the most talented dancers and her favorites and what that meant for Davis/White. When someone says that they wish someone would bypass her own students, currently #3 and #4 in the world, to the top of the podium, I think those are grounds enough to raise the question.

If you look at the whole interview and not just one sentence, she makes it very clear what she thinks Russian skaters used to bring to ice dance in terms of technique and "beauty". She thinks this is missing now and wants it to come back. And so do I. :)
Like those qualities are now embodied by the current crop of Russian dancers? Like the current crop of Russian dancers with those qualities are being held back by the Shpilband/Zoeva cartel?

If she had said, "I'm trying to instill these qualities in my students, and the sooner skaters with these qualities get to the top of the podium, the better" rather than the sooner Russians get to the top of podium the better, then what you say would make sense. But she didn't.

Ajax
04-10-2012, 06:16 PM
Lovely interview, thanks so much for the translation. I love that Angelina is so focused on basics and on bringing what made RUssian ice dance of bygone days so good back to the ice.

Vash01
04-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Anjelika is so beautiful. It's only natural for her to want beauty.

I loved K&O. I was so disappointed that they had to retire early due to Anjelika's injury.

MorganaLefay
04-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Seems like an open invitation to Bobrova and Soloviev! (thanks for the interview link!)

kwanfan1818
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
May B/S RSVP "Yes".

Asli
04-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Like those qualities are now embodied by the current crop of Russian dancers? Like the current crop of Russian dancers with those qualities are being held back by the Shpilband/Zoeva cartel? .

:confused: I said those qualities are "missing". Obviously, if the current crop of Russian ice dancers had them, they would not be missing.

Anjelika clearly says that for her V/M are the top team now. So I don't know how you are reading this as the Russians being held back by the Shpilband cartel.

However, I know that where figure skating is concerned, the word "Russian" rubs people the wrong way. So however PC she was, she cannot be right. :P

kwanfan1818
04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Why would she want the Russians to get to the top of the podium as quickly as possible if they don't embody the qualities she admires?

If they had those qualities, but they were being held down because the qualities that Spilband/Zoueva teams have are in fashion, that would be one thing, but why should couples who don't have them be any higher on the podium than 1. S/Z teams 2. Teams that she's trained that have absorbed at least some of these qualities?

That would be like me saying that the qualities I most admire in Ladies skating are shown by Suzuki and Kostner, but, damn, I wish Rachel Flatt would get to the top of the podium ASAP! Or Slutskaya and Leonova have the qualities I most admire in Ladies skating, but, damn, I wish Alissa Czisny would get to the top of the podium ASAP!

Macassar88
04-10-2012, 09:33 PM
May B/S RSVP "Yes".

Well, they're spending time with Linichuk next year, so the Kustarova team going to K/C isn't them.

Asli
04-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Why would she want the Russians to get to the top of the podium as quickly as possible if they don't embody the qualities she admires?

I think it must be my English, really. I must be hopeless.

kwanfan1818
04-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Well, they're spending time with Linichuk next year, so the Kustarova team going to K/C isn't them.

I'm in denial, hoping that once they get on North American shores and spend a month or two intensively with Linichuk, they'll defect to K/C. (He's got a young family, so that doesn't really work for him, but it's all about ME.)

Cherub721
04-11-2012, 12:54 AM

If they had those qualities, but they were being held down because the qualities that Spilband/Zoueva teams have are in fashion, that would be one thing, but why should couples who don't have them be any higher on the podium than 1. S/Z teams 2. Teams that she's trained that have absorbed at least some of these qualities?

That would be like me saying that the qualities I most admire in Ladies skating are shown by Suzuki and Kostner, but, damn, I wish Rachel Flatt would get to the top of the podium ASAP! Or Slutskaya and Leonova have the qualities I most admire in Ladies skating, but, damn, I wish Alissa Czisny would get to the top of the podium ASAP!

Mileage may vary but for me it was quite clear that she was saying that Russian skaters once had amazing qualities that she wishes they would once again develop so they could get back on top of the podium. I don't see anything implying that the current Russians should win without those qualities.

For example, she said
"Of course, I would like for Russian ice dance to get on a higher level."

"Lena Kustarova is a great coach, she works with many teams, they do a great job. It's just that sometimes it's hard to get both dances right - the free and the original. Something just doesn't work sometimes"

"The second Russian team is also very good, they just are not ready yet."

"Coaches just need to give the athletes the direction: what to do, which choreographers to work with, which acrobats, etc. Now there is a lot of different work that we didn't do before, because now the rules were different."

"However, even under this system, we have to find some soul. The soul that was before, especially Russians, they had it, is lost now."

She's definitely saying they need to improve to get back the level at which U&Z and K&P skated, IMO.

The more questionable part of her comments is that she says she would like Russian skaters at the top of the podium, when her own French and Canadian teams are already beating the Russians. If she takes on a Russian team, I wouldn't blame her other students for wondering if there would be favoritism. Many fans worried about that when B&A and Domshabs were with Linichuk at the same time, and indeed DomShabs beat B&A at Olympics/Worlds (though to my mind both the Moldavan and Aboriginal dances were sabotage :shuffle:).

kwanfan1818
04-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Mileage may vary but for me it was quite clear that she was saying that Russian skaters once had amazing qualities that she wishes they would once again develop so they could get back on top of the podium. I don't see anything implying that the current Russians should win without those qualities.
Of course she said that. I wasn't suggesting anything else.

The more questionable part of her comments is that she says she would like Russian skaters at the top of the podium, when her own French and Canadian teams are already beating the Russians. If she takes on a Russian team, I wouldn't blame her other students for wondering if there would be favoritism. Many fans worried about that when B&A and Domshabs were with Linichuk at the same time, and indeed DomShabs beat B&A at Olympics/Worlds (though to my mind both the Moldavan and Aboriginal dances were sabotage :shuffle:).
Yes.

However, she also said, "The sooner the better" to Russians being at the top of the podium, not the "The sooner the better" to the Russian teams changing their style. Anyone can change their style to her preferred style, but none of the coaches in Russia are teaching it, and why skate an intricate Camerlengo FD when you can skate a Morozov version and come within .11 for the CH score.

Strategically, that could happen by K/C's teams breaking up the S/Z lock-jam at the top of the podium, and then a I/K zipping in between them. I think it takes a little while for coaches, teams, and choreographers to get credit for their programs. I suspect (and hope) that Camerlengo's programs are given more of their due next season.